Why Doesn't SS allow us delete/manage our own imported images?

Go to solution Solved by Parker_SQSP,

15 hours ago, derricksrandomviews said:

Uploaded images if no longer posted on any of your pages don't add any load time to your site. If deleted off the site, they, the thumbnails,  will eventually delete from the image search gallery. I personally don't use that gallery. I do everything from a very good image sort, folder making,  library and edit program on my desktop. It Is free to anyone who wants it, Sony Play Memories Home. Sqarespace doesn't treat images uploaded the way a lot of website hosting sites do.  This explains what they do with them:

https://support.squarespace.com/hc/en-us/articles/205812748-Image-and-file-URLs-in-Squarespace

Yes, but when you upload a lot of test images, or have different sizes or versions of an image, this becomes a huge amount of images in the search gallery. You have to wade through all of them, and can't delete them.  

Still following this.....with SO many people requesting this, why is this not a feature yet? This is a big deal breaker for us as well when we create a custom site and duplicate to work on for a new site, we do NOT want old imagery stored and transferred. 

I am baffled that something like changing the tear-dropper icon to that annoying new plus symbol add feature would take priority over something like this where SO many people have voiced their frustrations. I have yet to run across threads where people were complaining about the old teardrop insert feature so why make that a priority when you have real users here voicing concerns? 

And while we are here recommending features, why not simply offer a BLANK canvas with absolutely nothing saved so we can start from scratch instead of having to delete or replace imagery. For so many of us creating more custom sites, it is frustrating to have to do this where as a totally blank canvas would be incredible and something we have been asking for for a long time now!

I can't believe this is not a feature. I accidentally uploaded a non-relevant screenshot (when selecting multiple images for a gallery) , that I absolutely don't want my clients to have in the library of their shiny new website and cannot believe that the only way of not handing over this random image (along with all the wrongly sized test images I used along the way) is to start a whole new website. How has this not been solved yet? 

Edited by lisanemetz
typo

Dear Squarespace Developement Team,

For the love of all things web design - PLEASE rectify the image/media file management for BOTH designers who help SELL your service and for those who manage their own sites.  We have other options and while I have helped sell to and set up small business websites via Squarespace - this past week I was in a situation where I could have really leveraged Squarespace to a room of emerging artist learning how to build their own websites, and because image/media file management is SO crucial and can be a HUGE time suck to contend with - preventing artist from making art because they are wasting precious hours trying to organize their web presence - I DID NOT recommend Squarespace. Instead, WixPix became the recommended website host to about 1,500 students in this business course... They have a file management system on the backend of their platform... The fact this has not been addressed in my time as a customer baffles me. There are a lot of important devevlopments and very grateful for the ones made around eCommerce, but even for eCommerce image file management is CRUCIAL. It's literally dreadful when a client needs a 100+ product images updated and REQUIRE somehow removing the outdated images so they don't confuse the customer.

This should be addressed, must be a top level feature, and if you don't have the people on your team capable of making it possible - hire someone who can.

Thank you.

Hello, I need to be able to do this too and have waited such a long time to have this feature. I have hundreds of images that I have uploaded as sometimes I need to tweak it slightly once its on the site so I upload newer version but can't get rid of the old. Such a pain...Can someone in SS please try and resolve this.....it would help on storage for them too unless they use our images for some unknown purpose......grrrrrrrr

On 2/28/2021 at 11:33 PM, jennifer.sailtrim said:

Dear Squarespace Developement Team,

For the love of all things web design - PLEASE rectify the image/media file management for BOTH designers who help SELL your service and for those who manage their own sites.  We have other options and while I have helped sell to and set up small business websites via Squarespace - this past week I was in a situation where I could have really leveraged Squarespace to a room of emerging artist learning how to build their own websites, and because image/media file management is SO crucial and can be a HUGE time suck to contend with - preventing artist from making art because they are wasting precious hours trying to organize their web presence - I DID NOT recommend Squarespace. Instead, WixPix became the recommended website host to about 1,500 students in this business course... They have a file management system on the backend of their platform... The fact this has not been addressed in my time as a customer baffles me. There are a lot of important devevlopments and very grateful for the ones made around eCommerce, but even for eCommerce image file management is CRUCIAL. It's literally dreadful when a client needs a 100+ product images updated and REQUIRE somehow removing the outdated images so they don't confuse the customer.

This should be addressed, must be a top level feature, and if you don't have the people on your team capable of making it possible - hire someone who can.

Thank you.

Couldn't agree more, it's ludicrous that in 2021 you can't manage or download your files. Total joke!

Please @Squarespace Guru help! 

On 1/28/2021 at 9:38 PM, derricksrandomviews said:

I think that the conception is that squarespace works like one big hard drive and stores images in a standard fashion like many website hosting companies or like you would for yourself on your own device. That is not the way it works. Let me paraphrase how they do it.

When you upload an image, Squarespace stores multiple sizes. Each size version is assigned a specific static URL so browsers can reload the images more quickly each time someone revisits a page. This helps your site’s performance globally, improves page loading times, and helps your ranking in Google, which uses page speed as a factor in search results. 

If you right-click an image or other file and open it in a new tab, you'll see its URL in your browser's address bar. These URLs start with images.squarespace-cdn.comstatic.squarespace.com, or static1.squarespace.com followed by a string of random characters and the format. For example, the 1000 pixels-wide version of your image will have format=1000w at the end. The format changes based on the size of the browser viewing your site. File URLs can't be customized. 

That is all achievable with the addition of file management, with a hybrid of "traditional" file management and the current method of handling files. It adds complexity in terms of the systems that manage the files, but really only when a file is modified. A process would need to watch for modification of the source file, which would the kick off the same systems that currently does the image resizing when an image is uploaded.

I can see that the image search option seems to have changed a bit since yesterday, looks new and I was super excited to see if you can simply delete images but it still appears to not have that feature, seems super odd to have provided that area a design refresh and leave out a widely requested item such as deleting image?......I feel like when you click on the 3 dots to the right, instead of image info, it would be great to be able to rename, duplicate and/or delete an image.

Screen Shot 2021-03-11 at 11.37.38 AM.png

On 3/11/2021 at 4:39 PM, studiolinear said:

I can see that the image search option seems to have changed a bit since yesterday, looks new and I was super excited to see if you can simply delete images but it still appears to not have that feature, seems super odd to have provided that area a design refresh and leave out a widely requested item such as deleting image?......I feel like when you click on the 3 dots to the right, instead of image info, it would be great to be able to rename, duplicate and/or delete an image.

Screen Shot 2021-03-11 at 11.37.38 AM.png

Also, the option to add multiple images and to add to a gallery section. At the moment you can only ass 1 photo at the time.

Second, the option to change  the file name (alt text) to improve  SEO. at the moment you can only change  the description of the image, not the file name. This is super important for SEO optimisation.

I hope you will add this to your update 

On 1/27/2021 at 5:35 AM, derricksrandomviews said:

I don't really see an advantage to having management. I have had it with a number of hosting sites, and some unfavorable things come along with that ability. Like files have to be smaller, can't add an image directly to your site  unless it is in your library  storage first, sorry you have run out of space, you have reached your maximum number of files, you must remove some before adding more or upgrade your plan. That sort of thing. Squarespace has their own compression and storage methods and when using  image search you are seeing a facsimile of an image on your site, not an actual file itself. You cannot delete what doesn't exist  and if you could, what if that image was posted on your site and you accidentally hit delete?  There are a lot of things to consider here. I don't use that search function, It can be helpful but I choose to use a very nice Sony free image management program that sorts, creates folders, has editing functions,  and allows me to easily upload to Squarespace.

This opinion seems really odd to me.

Of course, I want to be able to control, organize, add and delete my image assets. Having odd images that are no longer used, or are the wrong version, in my image library wastes space and time. A good file management system, allowing me to create directories and otherwise organize my images would be a HUGE benefit.

This issue is HUGE — creating a site often involves replacing images, switching images in and out (for various reasons). We have a handoff approaching that we are desperate to delete many images that have been uploaded and do NOT want to hand if off with those images in the library. Is a resolution in the works? This has to be a priority. 

Jan & Susan
admin + design
janandsusan.com

I'm following this thread too and am surprised it hasn't been addressed yet. I haven't read through all of the posts so I may be bringing up a redundant point, but my hope is to strengthen the argument for improving the asset management on Squarespace websites.

I am a freelance designer whose entire web design service offering is based on selling Squarespace websites for their ease of updating once I hand the websites off to my clients. When I design a website, I design, upload and test many iterations of the same images / graphics, meaning there are a handful of similar looking images in the media library once I finally land on the best one.

This becomes an issue when I finally hand off the website to my client. If they ever need to make an update in the future or swap out the proper images, it makes this process more difficult for them, as they have to wade through many similar looking image files and may select the wrong file in the process.

Allowing me the option to delete these incorrect image assets and organizing the library prior to handing off the website to my client will ensure a better website design long-term. This helps make both myself and Squarespace look better by ensuring quality graphics are always being used. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I couldn't agree with this more.  Extremely frustrating. 

I did find this support info which may help (though it's definitely not substitute for having user ability to manage by any means), but hope it helps!  According to this support info, images DO finally get deleted in time (between 8-38 days) apparently, but in an urgent situation you an send an email for SS for assistance in getting them deleted sooner: https://support.squarespace.com/hc/en-us/articles/205812748-Image-and-file-URLs-in-Squarespace

However, Squarespace, PLEASE give the ability to manage this on the user end.

Edited by kbrown
just rephrasing for clarity
  • 2 weeks later...