Why Doesn't SS allow us delete/manage our own imported images?

Go to solution Solved by Parker_SQSP,

Update 02 March 2022:

Squarespace started rolling out the new asset deletion feature to the general public today. It is being rolled out to all sites between 2nd and 23rd March 2022. With this feature, users can delete images one-by-one. More features will be added.

If this post has helped you, please click a 'Like' or 'Thanks' icon below  ⬇️

Edited by paul2009
Updated

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

I find it hard to believe that this is such a difficult feature to provide. Also, it should be easy to look at an image and see what pages it is used on. I have dozens of images of my logos, many of which are exactly the same. I have started using links to images on my google drive because my squarespace library is unmanageable. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 10/31/2021 at 4:05 AM, paul2009 said:

As mentioned in point 6 of the forum guidelines, Squarespace don't monitor this forum for feature requests or customer questions. If this feature is important to your business, you can request this feature by contacting Squarespace Customer Care.

paul2009:

There is no option to Request a Feature on your linked Contact Page. 

Edited by Calroy
1 hour ago, Calroy said:

There is no option to Request a Feature on your linked Contact Page. 

You can choose any option and then explain your feature request when you reach the free text form.

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

On 12/23/2021 at 8:21 AM, paul2009 said:

If you’d like to make a feature request, you can do so by contacting Squarespace Customer Care using a support ticket.

Squarespace employees don't routinely monitor this forum for feature requests (see the guidelines - item 6). Posts are answered by other Squarespace users who have no control over new features. 

If this post has helped you, please click a 'Like' or 'Thanks' icon below  ⬇️

Any current day software company should have Product Managers, who's responsibility is to gather feedback from the customer base to help drive roadmaps for the product roadmap. And one of the key responsibilities of any Product Manager....is to watch user forums for customer feedback. That's the whole point of forums, collaboration with and within your user base. 

1 hour ago, otorres_app said:

Any current day software company should have Product Managers, who...watch user forums for customer feedback.

You realise that I don't work for Squarespace, right? I'm just explaining their policy - right or wrong - so that other users can successfully pass their feature requests to Squarespace. 🙂

On 3/8/2022 at 1:12 PM, paul2009 said:

You realise that I don't work for Squarespace, right? I'm just explaining their policy - right or wrong - so that other users can successfully pass their feature requests to Squarespace. 🙂

Yea I know. My response was a general statement, not directed at you (hoping maybe someone at Squarespace see's it 😉).

Hi there. You can delete images from your image library! Navigate to your image library (click 'search images' when adding a new photo to a gallery or image block), and when you hover over an image, a white box appears in the upper corner. If you check this box, 'delete' will pop up at the bottom of the panel. If the image is not being used anywhere on your site a message will pop up telling you so, and you can delete it.

You need to delete images individually. Batch process deletion would be excellent, but for now, this is the you can clean up your gallery one by one. My clients often find it easier to view their library images in list order instead of icons (you can toggle view options in the upper right), then go down the list one by one and delete. 

Hi there. You can delete images from your image library! Navigate to your image library (click 'search images' when adding a new photo to a gallery or image block), and when you hover over an image, a white box appears in the upper corner. If you check this box, 'delete' will pop up at the bottom of the panel. If the image is not being used anywhere on your site a message will pop up telling you so, and you can delete it.

You need to delete images individually. Batch process deletion would be excellent, but for now, this is the you can clean up your gallery one by one. My clients often find it easier to view their library images in list order instead of icons (you can toggle view options in the upper right), then go down the list one by one and delete. 

OMG - I am a new user transferring over my site, and can't believe this thread has been an issue for so long!! It really is one of my most frustrating non-features of using this platform.

Thanks augustabelle for your above post. Unfortunately when I do as you suggested, it only has an "add" in a black popup at the bottom - no "delete" option at all. I also previously deleted the only other images on the site and saved, so they are not located anywhere else.

Do you have any idea why this may be? Thank you :)

3 hours ago, AllyW11 said:

Unfortunately when I do as you suggested, it only has an "add" in a black popup at the bottom - no "delete" option at all.

As I mentioned above, this is a new feature that is currently being rolled out to sites. It will take until 23rd March 2022 for all sites to have this. 

• 4 months later...
  • Solution

Hi all,

I wanted to share a quick update that you can now select/delete/upload multiple images at the same time from your site's library. I understand the inability to do this was a pain-point so I hope this improvement helps out. 

Here's some more information about removing images from your site's library: 

https://support.squarespace.com/hc/en-us/articles/206542377-Managing-and-reusing-images#toc-delete-images-from-my-library