Why Doesn't SS allow us delete/manage our own imported images?

Go to solution Solved by Parker_SQSP,

I 100% agree that we as developers/builders NEED to have the ability to purge old, redundant images from the file library before handing off the site to clients or just to simplify our own editing processes.

The fact that we can't do this now, when we have been asking for the for literally YEARS is mind boggling.

Please get on this SS... 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I also need the ability to delete images. 

I initially uploaded all my portfolio photos as high resolution images  - but the large files make the website too slow. I need to replace all images with lower res ones for faster page display. But I cant delete the first set of images. I'm going to have to sort through TWO of every image each time I want to select an image. 

Edited by FG1

Squarespace has been around for years -- how could this huge issue still exist? Never would have switched from Wordpress and spent hours working on site if I had known this. What would it take form them to actually address this? I have hundreds of photos to take out. What a huge problem that would be easy to fix. It makes me wonder if Squarespace is this unresponsive about everything...? Does anyone have any hacks, tricks, workarounds to fix this? I'd even empty out the whole site and start with install again because I'd load the site up differently.

Edited by XpatAdventures
  • 2 weeks later...

There is a huge misconception of how squarespace hosts image files, it is not like hosting them on dropbox or google drive or any image hosting service, I suggest you read this to learn more as to why you cannot manage them yourself the typical way:

https://support.squarespace.com/hc/en-us/articles/205812748-Image-and-file-URLs-in-Squarespace

Edited by myrandomviews
On 8/5/2021 at 7:11 PM, myrandomviews said:

There is a huge misconception of how squarespace hosts image files, it is not like hosting them on dropbox or google drive or any image hosting service, I suggest you read this to learn more as to why you cannot manage them yourself the typical way:

https://support.squarespace.com/hc/en-us/articles/205812748-Image-and-file-URLs-in-Squarespace

Okay, but that needs fixed.

I prefer to host my own images with my own easy to manage image software, not host them on squarespace. If I delete one from a websit blog post or out of a gallery it will eventually be deleted off their servers. I can upload as many as I want as long as an individual image is 20mg or less in size. I don't have to delete one out of a "library" in order to post another one like with some other website hosting services I have used, and the picture will size itself depending on the device it is being viewed on. It has worked well for me for six years now. 

Edited by myrandomviews
  • 3 weeks later...
On 8/4/2021 at 12:21 PM, JudeG said:

You'd think it would be in their best interest not to have millions of redundant images on their servers no?

I suspect that the bean counters decided it would be WAY cheaper to store a few hundred gigabytes of useless images than it would be to hire and support the coders needed to solve the problem.  After all, how many users have quit using Squarespace because of the issue?  My guess would be vanishingly few.  I may not like the outcome, but neither can I really fault their conclusion.  If I was running Squarespace, I'd likely make the same call.

• 3 weeks later...

Will this be resolved soon? This is a nightmare. I will have to reconsider using Squarespace now going forward after planning out a business selling custom made sites for specific industries, this inability to manage a photo gallery is a deal breaker!!! What a lot of wasted time... even the lowest level platforms offer this function. It may also mean I have to delete my current project and start over. Nightmare!!! 

• 4 weeks later...

End of 2021 is near and Squarespace still unable to provide any kind of file management system.

In my library section some of my images are displaying 5 versions and half of my uploaded images are not even there.....😐

Definitely not going to renew my subscription if this incredibly basic function won't be implemented. I think I'm not alone with this.

@Zoltan - yes, this is a huge component that is missing from Squarespace.  I contacted support about this and was told that images that are no longer used on a page will be deleted automatically from the file upload browser after a certain amount of time.  And if there is an image or file that needs to be removed immediately, we should contact support and they can help.  This workflow is certainly not ideal by any means, but thought it might be helpful to share in the meantime.

Edited by lorileech
  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, jessscholz said:

Adding my support for getting this feature added to Squarespace ASAP.

As mentioned in point 6 of the forum guidelines, Squarespace don't monitor this forum for feature requests or customer questions. If this feature is important to your business, you can request this feature by contacting Squarespace Customer Care.

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

• 1 month later...

@paul2009 well maybe they should monitor this as it is SS forum is it not?

@derricksrandomviews Having on offline asset folder doesnt solve loads of issues. 

I mistakingly uploaded a whole bunch of high res images and then needed to upload lower res images that have the same file name. Now I dont know which one to choose when selecting images from the library because I cant delete the high res ones - ridiculous a CMS doesnt have this feature

Just added my support request for library file management to be added ASAP as a feature. 

How ludicrous can SQSP be?? I've just opened an account with SQSP after 10+ years with Wordpress. File management is the FIRST thing any webhost should have. I am absolutely baffled that there is no way for me to test different image files, then keep the one(s) I want and delete the rest. C'mon; I've been designing websites since the 1990's... I may be an old dog, but I know a thing or two. Among them: access to file management is critical. 

Thank goodness for this forum; I initially thought I was alone in my frustration. Glad you folks have all commented. I may still be crazy, but at least I know I'm not alone! 🙂

I signed up for only one month just to test things out. Even though I will ask for a refund, it seems my skepticism was well-placed.

Edited by dovetaler

Hell yes! WTF. I support the development of this feature to manage image library big time. Yes absurd that we can't delete images.

I've been making a bunch of sites for clients. I started to do more coding as both my clients and my goals extend beyond the given toolset.

Pretty please, Squarespace? Can you add a feature to image libraries allowing users to delete or replace images (within the library)? Building a site involves a lot of trial and error with images. Having to wade through an ocean of unused images every time you want to find one back is a very frustrating user experience! I'd think that a company built on website creation would place at least some emphasis on its user experience. This neglect is costing you customers in a big way.