7.1 Duplicating or Saving Sections

Go to solution Solved by violettag,

HI, 
I have searched and searched, and I just want to make sure — is it correct that currently, within a page, there is NO way (or perhaps plug-in) to replicate sections/block sections you have built ? Or Save as a template, for repeat use? 

So one would have to add in each one again and again, if it's not one of the provided "block/section templates" ? (i.e. say add each text box, image block, gallery block, button block, etc?) 
Is this something Square space is planning on implementing in the future? (Please?!?) 

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

L_Avec.. 

In the editing mode of any page or section, go the the black control bar, click SETTINGS.  In the General tab, scroll down and you'll find DUPLICATE PAGE.

This will duplicate anything you've created, and appear at the top of the Not Linked section in your pages navigation, and you can drag it wherever you need to.

Screen Shot 2020-06-19 at 10.03.40 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-06-19 at 10.05.16 AM.png

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/19/2020 at 12:07 PM, holocene_x said:

In the editing mode of any page or section, go the the black control bar, click SETTINGS.  In the General tab, scroll down and you'll find DUPLICATE PAGE.

This will duplicate anything you've created, and appear at the top of the Not Linked section in your pages navigation, and you can drag it wherever you need to.

Hi Holocene_X, 

I am looking to duplicate just a section within a page, not the whole page. This solution worked great with anything before 7.1 because made use of Indexes, and each "page" was a section, but I am looking to duplicate that experience with 7.1 and am not finding a way, and replicate just certain sections more quickly across several pages. 

(Unless I'm totally missing something, and Indexes are able to be replicated in some manner in 7.1)

• 2 months later...
  • Solution

Hey @L_Avec! The feature you are looking for has recently been added. You can now duplicate a section on Squarespace 7.1 by using a duplicate icon next to the little pencil icon. You can find more information about this here:

https://support.squarespace.com/hc/en-us/articles/206543627-Duplicating-pages-and-content#toc-duplicate-a-page-section

You cannot duplicate a collection section, but all the content from the layout section will be duplicated on the same page. 

Hope this helps!

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

@ben44

@shakinda

If I understand what you are wanting to do. There isn't a SS built-in way to copy sections/blocks between pages. Of course you can duplicate a whole page.

What I usually do in such circumstances is to get two browser windows/tabs side by side and copy contents from one page on one window/tab to another page on  another window/tab.

So in shakinda's case if you have some boilerplate content you could create a page in the Unlinked pages, put your boilerplate there, then when you need to copy, use the side by side window/tab method and copy content across. Yes you have to create new blocks in the destination but that is pretty easy to do.

Find my contributions useful? Please like, upvote, mark my answer as the best ( solution ), and see my profile. Thanks for your support! I am a Squarespace ( and other technological things ) consultant open for new projects.

• 1 month later...

Just stunning that this extremely basic functionality isn't already part of Squarespace, seeing as it's been requested - vehemently - since 2017 at least.  I found all these delightful threads full of people who would love to be able to do something like, say, use the same form they created on one page on another, or copy/paste a section of laboriously arranged blocks so that they needn't recreate hours of work over and over.  Each of these threads ends with "perhaps you should request this feature!"

So, exactly what does it take to get Squarespace to even notice repeated, consistent requests for a feature from multiple users over the course of multiple years?  Are we expected to convey our requests via a note tied to a brick thrown through the home office window?  I'm willing to do that if it'll spark a little activity on the backend.  Perhaps the feature we need to request is a REQUEST FEATURE feature, since the one we currently are being repeatedly told to use is completely nonfunctional.

Squarespace charges a truly shocking amount for a desperately mediocre service; the least y'all could do is actually pay attention to your customers.

This would massively speed up page development - being able to not just duplicate a Section - because how often do you want the two sections the same on the same page - but to save Sections (effectively your own Section Templates) to be used on other pages.

It would also be of huge value to clients, for whom we could build out a library of Section Templates for them in addition to Page Templates.

I've just signed up to Squarespace and like others in the thread I'm surprised that the feature to copy sections to different pages is not available as one of the first tasks I've tried to do.

I am still in my trial period and was possibly going to use Squarespace for several sites, but lack of such a basic functionality to make sure your design elements are consistent and you're not wasting your time is worrying. Also, what if you decide to just reorganize your site so that some elements from one page should now be on another, it's frustrating to have to create them again "from scratch" as opposed to just selecting and moving them. 

• 1 month later...
13 minutes ago, QDonleavy said:

I don't get how your dragging content from one window to the next.

There is no dragging. It is standard copy and paste. No magic or incantations.

How do you normally copy and paste text? That is the technique you use.

Find my contributions useful? Please like, upvote, mark my answer as the best ( solution ), and see my profile. Thanks for your support! I am a Squarespace ( and other technological things ) consultant open for new projects.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Ah okay, since I need the content added to most of my pages I just had to go ahead and re-create it in the footer. It's definitely not ideal, and it would be very helpful if Squarespace would add an ability to copy sections, because putting the content in my footer isn't really great since I didn't want it on every page of my site. But it's a temporary hack that will be okay until I eventually switch platforms or Squarespace adds more functionality. Thanks!

@Kayli

If the content is the same and you just want it to appear somewhere on many pages putting it in the footer is not a bad workaround. Then with a combination of CSS and Javascript it is possible to move the content out of the footer and into some other position on the page. Whether that would work for your needs I have no idea as we have no details on what you are trying to accomplish. If this is something you want to pursue I suggest asking a new question describing what you want to accomplish.

• 2 weeks later...