7.1 Duplicating or Saving Sections

Go to solution Solved by violettag,

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've been using Squarespace for two days now and this is the 3rd issue I'm running into that seems basic functionality that would save heaps of time and just isn't there while many people are requesting for it... How can this not be a feature?

Just like having separate header images per category and putting a link behind images in simple lists... I guess I'll find 3 more issues today!

• 2 weeks later...

@creedon

The footer + coding solution you mentioned (quoted below) might work perfectly for my needs!!

I need to place an identical short blurb on multiple pages, describing an offer. The price of the offer will fluctuate over time (e.g., discounted for a month), so I'd like to update it once & have it automatically update on all pages.

Having to keep track of which pages the blurb is on, and then copying & pasting on every page, sounds like a nightmare...

Could you kindly advise how I can find more info about the CSS / Javascript that you mentioned?

Thank you so much in advance! 😀

On 4/28/2021 at 9:20 AM, creedon said:

@Kayli

If the content is the same and you just want it to appear somewhere on many pages putting it in the footer is not a bad workaround. Then with a combination of CSS and Javascript it is possible to move the content out of the footer and into some other position on the page. Whether that would work for your needs I have no idea as we have no details on what you are trying to accomplish. If this is something you want to pursue I suggest asking a new question describing what you want to accomplish.

Edited by Robilanyo
Fixed user tagging
On 7/18/2021 at 3:20 PM, Robilanyo said:

Could you kindly advise how I can find more info about the CSS / Javascript that you mentioned?

We'd need more detail about your need. For example, will the short blurb appear in the same location of each page? Will it be on every page?

I suggest getting your content worked out in the footer in a page section of it's own.

Please post the URL for your site.

If your site is not public please set up a site-wide password, if you've not already done so.

Post the password here.

Adding a site-wide password is not a security breach. Please read the documentation at the link provided to understand how it works.

Edited by creedon

Find my contributions useful? Please like, upvote, mark my answer as the best ( solution ), and see my profile. Thanks for your support! I am a Squarespace ( and other technological things ) consultant open for new projects.

2 hours ago, creedon said:

We'd need more detail about your need. For example, will the short blurb appear be in the same location of each page? Will it be on every page?

I suggest getting your content worked out in the footer in a page section of it's own.

Please post the URL for your site.

If your site is not public please set up a site-wide password, if you've not already done so.

Post the password here.

Adding a site-wide password is not a security breach. Please read the documentation at the link provided to understand how it works.

Wow--thank you so much for the quick response!!

I'll get back to you with site URL/pass. (I'm just getting started and there isn't anything to see yet. I'm also in the middle of a domain transfer, so the link will change soon.)

Until then... thanks again!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 11/25/2020 at 10:31 AM, Janai said:

Agree that this would be a super useful feature. We have similar elements we're using across pages, Would be so nice to not have to recreate them, or do some duplicate page acrobatics. Could someone make a plug-in! 🙂

Someone did make a plugin! There's a Chrome extension by SquarespaceWebsites which lets you do just that (found this on @kerstinmartin's blog). You can also copy content from pages and blogs from one site to another - very useful if you want to migrate a 7.0 site to 7.1.  I just tried it on my own site and copied over 200 blog posts (with tons of images) without a hitch in a matter of minutes. Only thing is the comments didn't seem to copy over, but I much rather lose a few comments than spend several weeks re-uploading images on the lousy copy made via wordpress. 

58 minutes ago, dsophie said:

Someone did make a plugin! There's a Chrome extension by SquarespaceWebsites which lets you do just that (found this on @kerstinmartin's blog).

Yay, so glad you found and used this! It's such a great tool and has so many other good uses too, it's pretty much a must for designer I think! 🙂 

CalmBusinessLogoTitleSimple.png.3067db0e3c08baf2e967872eaa6f9182.png

Hi, I'm Kerstin! I offer business and marketing courses to help solopreneurs deepen their business skills and grow their confidence, audience, and revenue - without the hustle.

🎉  What kind of entrepreneur are you?  Take the quiz

57 minutes ago, kerstinmartin said:

Yay, so glad you found and used this! It's such a great tool and has so many other good uses too, it's pretty much a must for designer I think! 🙂 

Thank you for posting it! It was a lifesaver. Did you write a blog post about the other uses too by chance? I find the tool's documentation not so easy to follow.

4 minutes ago, dsophie said:

Did you write a blog post about the other uses too by chance?

Not yet but actually on my list of blogs to write soon! 

CalmBusinessLogoTitleSimple.png.3067db0e3c08baf2e967872eaa6f9182.png

Hi, I'm Kerstin! I offer business and marketing courses to help solopreneurs deepen their business skills and grow their confidence, audience, and revenue - without the hustle.

🎉  What kind of entrepreneur are you?  Take the quiz

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

In a past life I used a CMS that was great for reusing content. A block (called a box on LibGuides) could be copied into another page as a stand-alone piece which can be edited separately to the original. OR ... even more helpful .... a block could be reused as mapped to the original, which means one edit will update all instances of the reused block. 
C'mon, let's have it please!

11 hours ago, GlennieS said:

C'mon, let's have it please!

Squarespace employees don't routinely monitor this forum for feature requests (see the guidelines - item 6).

If you’d like to make a feature request, you can do so by contacting Squarespace Customer Care using a support ticket.

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

This feature would be extremely useful!!! 

Squarespace mods, please listen!!!!!

It is November 2021 and we still cannot copy section blocks from one page to another page.

I used the list block feature to create a 4x4 list of images and text that I want to use on 8 pages but I will have to build these all manually. This is a lot of work for a basic feature. At the very least, we should be able to save our own content blocks in the Section Library.