7.1 Duplicating or Saving Sections

Go to solution Solved by violettag,

Then I recommend contacting the author for support via Slack:

https://join.slack.com/t/squarewebsites/shared_invite/zt-17aboxrdu-kkssSnYzp5je12mCEiWjOg

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know if this is a functionality in the new Fluid Engine? Or if there are plans for it to be developed? 

We're re-designing some sections on a large website and it's going to be so time consuming replicating the new design/format on each page. Being able to save a section and add/edit on another page would be extremely useful.

• 1 month later...

I'm a Webflow/Wordpress guy and a client of mine asked me to clean up his Squarespace site. After clicking around for a few hours, I AM COMPLETELY FLABBERGASTED THAT SQUARESPACE DOESN'T HAVE THIS EXTREMELY BASIC AND ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONALITY! WOW, JUST WOW! Cleaning up his site is going to take at least double the amount of time I originally estimated because of this. I am transitioning my client to a different CMS ASAP!

• 3 weeks later...

Such a basic function, create global sections that you can re-use on the same site. 😐 Cannot believe this is not a thing with Squarespace. If you're front facing with clients, you'll quickly know that this is a thing you need when developing sites.  

This is coming soon! 🙂

You'll be able to choose a section from one page and reuse it on other pages of your site.

image.thumb.png.8b7e68f121759dfaecc94ff2098a3ae0.png

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

• 3 weeks later...

@paul2009 I think what many of the commenters are wanting is not to be able to duplicate the blocks or sections and use them on the same page but use them on other pages. I know that's what I want. Super basic and a huge timesaver that helps a site look consistent.

So frustrating that this isn't possible and that it wasn't part of the updates. Grrrrrr.

On 11/9/2022 at 9:00 PM, rlferdez said:

I think what many of the commenters are wanting is not to be able to duplicate the blocks or sections and use them on the same page but use them on other pages.

As I mentioned above, you will soon be able to duplicate sections and use them on other pages 🙂 

Update - 19 September: This feature has now been launched.

Edited by paul2009
Feature released

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/9/2022 at 10:17 PM, paul2009 said:

As I mentioned above, you will soon be able to duplicate sections and use them on other pages 🙂

I'm confused. I swear that I used that feature last week - save a section and insert a saved section to another page.

However I don't see the save button anymore, nor the sections that I saved earlier? Was this feature already implemented and then removed???

9 hours ago, mrperson said:

But where are they tracked?

SS does not publish it's internal tracking system for us to see.

I assume they use a database of some kind.

Find my contributions useful? Please like, upvote, mark my answer as the best ( solution ), and see my profile. Thanks for your support! I am a Squarespace ( and other technological things ) consultant open for new projects.

• 2 weeks later...

Duplicate section is working tonight!

When one edits a section, select the heart icon, which saves the section (not intuitive). Then when creating a new section on the same or some other page, you can paste it.

I used it to create a portfolio sub-page from another portfolio on my site. MUCH easier than creating one from scratch. Might even be better than duplicating portfolio sub-pages when creating many sub-pages of similar design.