Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Advanced Search

Import: "Missing column Add PRODUCT ID column" When the column is there

So I got the importing worked out and I want to add a ton more products to a store.

I exported a CSV, added another product as a test, and imported the new CSV and got the following error:

"Missing column
Add PRODUCT ID column"

So I go to check the CSV and it's right there as the first column. I'm baffled by this one. How can I solve this? I have a ton more to add to my store.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I just tried using Google Sheets (I was previously using Numbers on my mac) .  I made the changes in google sheets, then exported it as a csv file.  I then imported this csv to my website and I did no

I've had multiple issues with this and I've reached out to Customer Support and they told me to check my .csv template haha. So no avail. Sounds like a bug in the system   @srodrigues

Hi, all! After a redundant and circuitous dialogue with the support team—one that I imagine many of you have similarly had—I was directed to reference the "Completing the product import .csv file

Posted Images

I just tried using Google Sheets (I was previously using Numbers on my mac) .  I made the changes in google sheets, then exported it as a csv file.  I then imported this csv to my website and I did not get the error message any more and all the changes I made were there.  Hope this helps.  

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey @alexamargs

From what you are describing it seems the issue might be related with the the .csv file formatting. Most likely that's the reason why double-checking the .csv file was the suggestion. If you keep experiencing issues with importing your products even after you have ensured that the file meets the required formatting rules, continuing the conversation with Customer Support would be the best approach to get further assistance. 

• 2 weeks later...

I am having the same problem! 

@srodrigues - I believe we are all using the .csv file from the help area - and editing it as instructed. For some reason, it still says the column is missing. Are we supposed to Edit the Product ID Column in some way?

Edited by raeroshow

Hey @raeroshow -- I have also struggled for hours and just realized the walkthrough video suggested users to use google sheet. So I did the same -- download the template -> upload it to google drive -> convert it to google sheet format -> copy paste all the data to the google sheet -> and then export the csv file.  And it works. Yay!

Edited by cantocookingclub
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi, all!

After a redundant and circuitous dialogue with the support team—one that I imagine many of you have similarly had—I was directed to reference the "Completing the product import .csv file" article, ensuring that all allegedly required columns were filled on my sheet. 'Product URL' and 'Categories' are, for example, among the so-called required elements despite the site's ability to auto-generate URLs for cells left blank and to hold shop items without category tags. The "Missing column, Add PRODUCT ID column" error message clearly takes issue with that particular leading column, making it especially confusing when the support reps directed me to the Product URL column and others after it—but ultimately the whole thing is a glitch.

After creating upload sheets in both Numbers and Excel, saving in multiple formats and adjusting in minute ways, I found that a .csv upload will work successfully if the file name remains unchanged from the original template filename given by Squarespace, "product_import-v2.csv". This solution worked for me three times in total after innumerable instances of the "Missing column, Add PRODUCT ID column" message, and though I certainly can't explain how it circumvents the glitch that lives in the system's upload process, I hope it well help some of you!

• 3 weeks later...

I have tried the solutions mentioned above, and nothing has worked. I can't get a hold of technical support over the weekend so no way to correct this. As of last check, all of my columns were filled in correctly, and the only thing holding me back is no 'Product ID column', which is the first column in the document. I was hoping keeping the filename 'product_import-v2.csv' would help my like the guy above me but still didn't work. Anyone know of any other tips? I transferred it all to Google Sheets and am exporting from there. 

I had the same error, but for me the client saved the file with the name CSV, but he did not actually save it as a CSV. Once I resaved the file as a plain text CSV it worked fine.

I suspect that is why some people were able to use it after converting to Google because when they resaved it, they saved it as a CSV. Hope this helps some of you 🙂