Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Advanced Search

Using anchor links: why and how?

Anchor links or page jumps are a vital component to any website, but specifically important for those websites that are text-heavy or have a lot of content on a single page. In essence, an anchor link is a special URL that takes you to a specific place on a page. They’re useful for letting your visitors skip to the parts of your content that interest them, and they’re a great organizational device that aids readability. As an added bonus, they help with SEO too.

In Squarespace, there are two types of anchor links you can use, depending on the version of our platform you’re using. For example, if your site is on the Squarespace 7.0 platform, you can create anchor links on Index Pages using the steps in the guide Adding index page anchor links. If your site is on the 7.1 version, you can add a small custom code snippet and create an anchor link on Layout Pages. Check out our guide Creating anchor links. 

Before stuffing your Main Navigation with anchor links, there are some considerations you need to take into account. For example, too many items in your navigation can be aesthetically overwhelming and become a hindrance to readers. Links that are too close together can be a problem on mobile, specifically for visitors with limited hand mobility.

How do you use anchor links on your website? Do you have any special practices or tricks? Let us know in the comments below!

• 2 weeks later...

Anchor Links are really helpful.  I use them all the time.  Especially on our SquareKicker websites.  The feature page here is a great use case.  Here is a link to SquareKicker Anchor Link Video.  This link will take you to the specific section on the page using Anchor Link too.

https://squarekicker.com/features#anchor-links 

SquareKickerHi, I'm Nick Ippolito, founder at squarekicker.com SquareKicker is a No-Code Design & Animation Extension for Squarespace. Say goodbye to copy & paste plugins and unlock your creativity and explore a whole new level of the unlimited design possibilities without ever having to write a single line of code.

Hey, thanks for asking. I use anchor links a lot too (in french). 

First, I use them for multiple categories on a magazine: so the reader can directly jump to the category he wants: https://influenz.design/magazine

I use them as well as the main structure for a glossary (for the alphabetical sections as well as for the definitions themselves): https://influenz.design/glossaire

On 10/13/2021 at 6:33 PM, Jo_SQSP said:

Anchor links or page jumps are a vital component to any website, but specifically important for those websites that are text-heavy or have a lot of content on a single page. In essence, an anchor link is a special URL that takes you to a specific place on a page. They’re useful for letting your visitors skip to the parts of your content that interest them, and they’re a great organizational device that aids readability. As an added bonus, they help with SEO too.

In Squarespace, there are two types of anchor links you can use, depending on the version of our platform you’re using. For example, if your site is on the Squarespace 7.0 platform, you can create anchor links on Index Pages using the steps in the guide Adding index page anchor links. If your site is on the 7.1 version, you can add a small custom code snippet and create an anchor link on Layout Pages. Check out our guide Creating anchor links. 

Before stuffing your Main Navigation with anchor links, there are some considerations you need to take into account. For example, too many items in your navigation can be aesthetically overwhelming and become a hindrance to readers. Links that are too close together can be a problem on mobile, specifically for visitors with limited hand mobility.

How do you use anchor links on your website? Do you have any special practices or tricks? Let us know in the comments below!

very informative. But can we make jump links type links anchors in AMP type website. Like i have to go another page and when i click it open same like when we click on jump link?

Edited by martybirdese