7.1 removing text link underlines

Go to solution Solved by pixies1,

Site URL: https://typeaprofessionals.com

Please help!!

The first CSS I ever entered on my site was to remove the underlines from all hyperlinks throughout my site:

.sqs-block-html a {background-image:none!important}

Today I was playing around in a code block to see if I could make the hyperlinked text semi-bold and for some reason now the underlines are back in all of my hyperlinks that are not in a code block (the hyperlinks in code blocks still look correct with no underline).

I didn't change anything to the CSS and I deleted that code block that I was playing with, but the underlines are still there. If I delete that CSS above, it actually adds a second underline to all the hyperlinks.

Can you please help me fix this?? Thank you!!

• Solution

@Anat13 That worked, thank you! I had to keep my current line of code and add yours to remove both underlines:

//remove underlines from hyperlinks//

/* Remove non-background image underline for heading and paragraph links */
h1 a, h2 a, h3 a, h4 a, p a {text-decoration: none!important}

I chatted with Squarespace and they said they weren't aware of any issues or recent changes that would cause the problem and they said I shouldn't use CSS on my site 😒

I'm still wondering what is causing a double underline on my site, but at least I'm able to get rid of it now. 

Thank you SO much!!

20 minutes ago, Anat13 said:

Adding this worked for me. It's one of the old ways to do it in one of the types of 7.0 templates:

/* Remove non-background image underline for heading and paragraph links */

Thank you for this. However, it only worked on my homepage for some reason. The rest of my website has the same issue.

Edited by GreenEyedMissy
Moved my comment out of the quotes box.

Ooooo! This did it, thank you! I don't know why this happened either, or why we need two different codes now, but it's fixed.

What happened? I used this code (thank you) and it worked fine ...... until today.

Why would that change all of the sudden? Now I have underlines in my footer only.

UPDATE: Looks like it is text-decoration on the footer.

#footer-sections a {
  text-decoration: none !important;
}

Edited by kakers
fixed
4 hours ago, pixies1 said:

@Anat13 That worked, thank you! I had to keep my current line of code and add yours to remove both underlines:

I chatted with Squarespace and they said they weren't aware of any issues or recent changes that would cause the problem and they said I shouldn't use CSS on my site 😒

I'm still wondering what is causing a double underline on my site, but at least I'm able to get rid of it now. 

Thank you SO much!!

I'm ALSO getting the double underline so you're not alone. There has definitely been changes if this is happening to a few of us. 

As for telling you that you shouldn't be using CSS, what a ridiculous thing to say. Especially as they've REMOVED quite a few options in 7.1 that were standard in 7.0 (usually in Brine). Until they make things as customizable as they used to be, we have to use CSS. 

Thanks to you and @Anat13 for the solutions. 

4 hours ago, kakers said:

What happened? I used this code (thank you) and it worked fine ...... until today.

Why would that change all of the sudden? Now I have underlines in my footer only.

UPDATE: Looks like it is text-decoration on the footer.

#footer-sections a {
}

similar problem! the underlines appears again across the page today suddenly and cannot be removed by the code. 

Site URL: https://www.hanroco.com/

a couple months ago, i used custom css to remove the underline effect from all hyperlinks on my entire site--navigation, footer, text, everywhere. for whatever reason, the code i used is no longer working and the underlines are back. i've tried several codes but none seem to work. would appreciate any help with removing the underlines everywhere!

23 minutes ago, butter said:

Site URL: https://www.hanroco.com/

a couple months ago, i used custom css to remove the underline effect from all hyperlinks on my entire site--navigation, footer, text, everywhere. for whatever reason, the code i used is no longer working and the underlines are back. i've tried several codes but none seem to work. would appreciate any help with removing the underlines everywhere!

Hey I saw someone post this code somewhere else and it worked for me. I'm having a lot of issues with Squarespace today specifically. Not sure why.

.sqs-block-html a {
  background-image: none !important;
}
h1 a, h2 a, h3 a, h4 a, p a {
}

Hello. My question is a very simple one. I'm just trying to add this code:
a:link {
  text-decoration: none;
}

The code works, and the underline under links is removed. However, as soon as the page is refreshed, the line comes back. Everytime I open the CSS editor though, the lines vanish as soon as the editor opens. Here are two pictures. One has the link underline, the other does not. The effects of the code do not appear to be saving when the page is reopened, hence the return of the underline. 

Additionally, is it possible to remove the extra space provided by the link underline? It pushes down the main underline further from the words. This is fine for now, but if possible, I'd like to know how to make that not be the case for future reference. 

Capture.JPG

Capture1.JPG

2 hours ago, KBooth22 said:

Same! I thought I was going crazy. Code does not seem to be working anymore. Hoping for a solution! Any ideas?

6 hours ago, Crystal1022 said:

similar problem! the underlines appears again across the page today suddenly and cannot be removed by the code. 

hello guys, i used the following code and seemed to have solved the problem:

.sqs-block-html a {
}

#footer-sections a {
}

It seemed fixed. This code shows underline off while in custom css editor, and all other links with underline,  but when saved, all links on website are without an underline.

.sqs-block-html a {
}

#footer-sections a {
}

Edited by Stefanjokull

Site URL: https://www.truenaturedreams.com/

Hello everyone!

I'm really hoping someone can help:

I have this code on every site I've ever done to remove the link underline, site wide:

a {background-image:none !important;}

But for some reason it doesn't seem to be working anymore. Any ideas? Did SS change something? I have all the pesky underlines that have come back on all of my sites! Aagh! Please help!

Thank you, Rebecca.