7.1 Duplicating or Saving Sections

Go to solution Solved by violettag,

On 11/16/2021 at 5:24 PM, CheyenneRosa said:

Squarespace mods, please listen!!!!!

Feature requests and bug reports are not tracked in this forum (see the guidelines - item 6).

To make a feature request to Squarespace, please contact Squarespace Customer Care using a support ticket.

Edited by paul2009

Me: I'm Paul, a SQSP user for >18 yrs & Circle Leader since 2017. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: Founder of SF.DIGITAL. We provide high quality original extensions to supercharge your Squarespace website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to my own SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is completely free. You can thank me by selecting a feedback emoji. Buying a coffee is generous but optional.

Would you like your customers to be able to mark their favourite products in your Squarespace store?

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I can't agree more... We need a way to save sections we created! I need to have the same section in few different pages, so for now I can only build them identically one by one...

• 2 weeks later...

+another

A real world example for use I have for this feature.  I created 40 pages of material.  Just pages, not a blog, product, gallery, etc.  Then, to my surprise, I add a search button.  Turns out search only searches specific material (?) like tags, categories, blog titles, etc - but NOT the general text of a page (this is a whole separate gripe).  So in order to achieve the search feature we need, Im going to have to recreate each page as a blog or other searchable entity.  If I could simply copy or move content blocks to a new blog page this would be an easier task,  But without this content block copy/move option I have to convert 40 pages to blogs from scratch.  SQSP, I hope this feature can be added.

8 minutes ago, roattw said:

Turns out search only searches specific material but NOT the general text of a page (this is a whole separate gripe). 

To be honest, I wouldn't trust the built-in search function to find content within a collection (like a blog) either. Search has been broken for two years and isn't something you can rely on.

As an example, here's a screenshot taken today where the blog post title is shown directly below the search bar:

search-blog-not-found.thumb.png.becd85d24e616b55f2cbadedfd7a4d5d.png

Me: I'm Paul, a SQSP user for >18 yrs & Circle Leader since 2017. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: Founder of SF.DIGITAL. We provide high quality original extensions to supercharge your Squarespace website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to my own SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is completely free. You can thank me by selecting a feedback emoji. Buying a coffee is generous but optional.

Would you like your customers to be able to mark their favourite products in your Squarespace store?

paul2009, thanks for the reply.

Im discovering that now.  Never would have guessed something as simple as adding Search capability to this project site would be its Achilles heal.  Its just always been such a given component on any site I ever built using MANY different platforms.  And its a core component to this project - so really dont know what Im going to do.  So in your example, that's a Blog entry, right?  So even if I convert each page to a blog and use the keyword in a title it still might not work?!  Does it fare better searching blog tags and categories?  

1814001643_kidforheadsmack.thumb.jpg.ce1e9ffe4b07a71fa12e8102287d7f9b.jpg

3 hours ago, roattw said:

Does it fare better searching blog tags and categories?

One of the issues I've seen reported often is that the search results are inconsistent. Much like throwing the dice. Sometimes you get a win and sometimes it's snake eyes.

With that kind of behaviour you can't trust SS search results. And SS have demonstrated that they don't care and have no plans to fix search.

Edited by creedon

Find my contributions useful? Please like, upvote, mark my answer as the best ( solution ), and see my profile. Thanks for your support! I am a Squarespace ( and other technological things ) consultant open for new projects.

I agree with @Creedon, it is inconsistent. I recommend using a third party service for search - at least until Squarespace solve the issue. For products, I recommend filtering and categorisation.

Adding Squarespace's search function to my store was a huge mistake and I got more complaints about it than anything else -- my customers couldn't find what they're looking for and I'm pretty sure I've lost sales because of it. Finally got down and installed Google's programmable search and voila -- my customers are getting search results when they search my store. I'm not holding any hope that this Squarespace search issue will ever get fixed.

Edited by sruss76
Guest realdreamadmin

Like many others have already mentioned I just signed up to transition my business site to squarespace and am completely shocked this feature is not available. Also for the moderator who suggested the dual pages idea, sorry but that's totally different and doesn't get you anywhere close... so strange a feature as simple as this has not been implemented already.

• 2 weeks later...

Do you have a 3rd party Search plugin you recommend, Paul? 

On 2/6/2022 at 6:27 AM, paul2009 said:

I agree with @Creedon, it is inconsistent. I recommend using a third party service for search - at least until Squarespace solve the issue. For products, I recommend filtering and categorisation.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/5/2020 at 9:14 PM, L_Avec said:

I have searched and searched, and I just want to make sure — is it correct that currently, within a page, there is NO way (or perhaps plug-in) to replicate sections/block sections you have built ? Or Save as a template, for repeat use? 

There isn't a built in feature that can duplicate block layouts, but there is a way to do it! And to be honest, it literally saves me hours every day!

The solution is the PRO tool from Squarewebsites. It's a Chrome extension that adds a button to your Chrome browser's toolbar that gives you new almost magical capabilities! It was designed by Michael in Ukraine 🇺🇦.

For example, here's a section containing a block layout that I want to copy. As you'll see below, there's a text block and and an image block. I can copy this layout of blocks by clicking 'COPY':

5xvk7cfm7r.thumb.gif.153b927432fb1360d4b7e5b7f1219746.gif

Having copied the blocks, I can click 'INSERT' to insert this block layout into my new section on a new page:

paste-blocks.thumb.gif.5a9335162b417c2f023bee8b933d2488.gif

There's also a PRESETS option. This allows you to save your favourite layouts (the ones you've designed) and then reuse them over and over again!

NOTE: This post was created before Squarespace introduced the new Squarespace 7.1 feature known as "Fluid Engine" in July 2022. The description and images in this post were created using "Layout Engine" (now referred to by Squarespace as the "Classic" editor), and whilst they still apply to sections created with the Classic editor (such as those on Squarespace 7.0), the tool does not allow duplication of Fluid Engine sections. 

Did this help? Please give feedback by clicking an icon below  ⬇️

Edited by paul2009
edited for clarity

• 2 months later...

I was a hobbyist coder for a while and built my site using Gatbsy - based on React. The great thing about those was isolated REUSABLE COMPONENTS that can be pulled into a page wherever you want, multiple times over multiple pages if that's what you wanted.

I couldn't keep up with the coding, so am using Squarespace. It does look fantastic simply using a template and ready-made styling. But this feature of building a page using REUSABLE COMPONENTS is sady missing! I want a section from one page (a list... each item has an image, a title, and a description) to also appear lower down on the home page. It's not very practical to have to edit in both places every time I want to make a change. (I'm using to list events.)

• 1 month later...

I was trying to copy a gallery from one page to another and couldn't figure out how so I Googled the issue and ended up here in a thread that is a couple years old complaining about not being able to move content from one page to another.  Kind of wishing I had stuck with Wordpress at this point but oh well, I guess I will manually re-upload and rearrange all the photos again on an existing page (and no, duplicating pages won't help me here) 

Edited by JRoni
1 hour ago, JRoni said:

I guess I will manually re-upload and rearrange all the photos again

Before you do that check to see if your images are available in the image library.

Find my contributions useful? Please like, upvote, mark my answer as the best ( solution ), and see my profile. Thanks for your support! I am a Squarespace ( and other technological things ) consultant open for new projects.

I'd like to be able to reuse sections across the website. I'd like for changes in the global section to be applied everywhere that section is used. I understand I can duplicate pages but then if I change one of the sections, it only changes that one section on that one page and not every page that section is used.

On 3/18/2022 at 5:31 PM, paul2009 said:

There isn't a built in feature that can duplicate block layouts, but there is a way to do it! And to be honest, it literally saves me hours every day!

The solution is the PRO tool from Squarewebsites. It's a Chrome extension that adds a button to your Chrome browser's toolbar that gives you new almost magical capabilities! It was designed by Michael in Ukraine 🇺🇦.

For example, here's a section containing a block layout that I want to copy. As you'll see below, there's a text block and and an image block. I can copy this layout of blocks by clicking 'COPY':

5xvk7cfm7r.thumb.gif.153b927432fb1360d4b7e5b7f1219746.gif

Having copied the blocks, I can click 'INSERT' to insert this block layout into my new section on a new page:

paste-blocks.thumb.gif.5a9335162b417c2f023bee8b933d2488.gif

There's also a PRESETS option. This allows you to save your favourite layouts (the ones you've designed) and then reuse them over and over again!

Did this help? Please give feedback by clicking an icon below  ⬇️

Not sure if I'm doing something wrong, but I've downloaded this extension and have tried to do what you've done above, but it doesn't work. Am I doing something wrong? I can't even see the copy and insert options pop up!? Thanks

28 minutes ago, clockyer said:

I've downloaded this extension and have tried to do what you've done above, but it doesn't work

The tool was created for the Classic editor and, as far as I know, it won't copy blocks in "Fluid Engine" sections.