Designing a full website behind a single landing page

Go to solution Solved by WCS,

Hi! I have a single Squarespace landing page with just a logo in the header. I am now in the process of creating the full website with a main navigation in the header. I understand that pages in the Not Linked section will not appear in the header as nav links, but how can I can a build the full website "with" the main nav built out for the client to review, but with keeping the current landing page as is? Can I have two different main nav's? One for the public to see and one only for internal review? Is this possible? Otherwise how can one redesign a website at the same time while the current site is live? I know that Squarespace does not have this kind of "staging server" but I am hoping that there is some way to accomplish this. Thanks so much.

On 8/19/2023 at 9:50 PM, derricksrandomviews said:

You can provide the client with each unlinked page URL and explain the pages will appear on the nav bar as soon as they are completed and the client approves of them. You can create a page in the unlinked section with links to those pages. 

Thank you! This solution is not ideal because the full navigation is rather involved with subpages etc. but I guess I have no choice. I will need to build the navigation somewhere else—design it, style it, get it approved and then rebuild it on the actual site. Thanks again.

@mdotwyou This code will hide your homepage. Go to Website > Website Tools > Custom CSS and past the below in. 

#collection-63ed9c093c4d9564d878d2c0{

footer, header{

display: none !important; }

}

Keep in mind:

• If a client has access to any other page, they will be able to see the footer and navigation like normal.
  • You can copy the homepage or create a new one and add it to the nav so that there is a homepage in your guarded site. However, if they click the logo it will take them back to the landing page. 
  • The other pages will still be visible to other people if they have a direct link or if Google shows it in a search result.
  • If you need it completely hidden, you can create a MemberAreas and design it in there. This just costs more and gets a bit complicated, so it's not always an ideal solution. 

Code source: https://www.mehdiaoussiad.com/blog/squarespace-remove-footer-and-header-from-one-page

Edited by WCS

Did we help? Click 👍 or mark it as the solution! This helps others find the answers they need. 

Meghan, Owner of Westerly Creative Studio
👩‍💻 🍪  Need a low-cost website policies + cookie banner? Termageddon makes it easy.  Get 10% off your first year! (< affiliate link) 

11 minutes ago, WCS said:

@mdotwyou This code will hide your homepage. Go to Website > Website Tools > Custom CSS and past the below in. 

#collection-63ed9c093c4d9564d878d2c0{

footer, header{

display: none !important; }

}

Keep in mind:

• If a client has access to any other page, they will be able to see the footer and navigation like normal.
  • You can copy the homepage or create a new one and add it to the nav so that there is a homepage in your guarded site. However, if they click the logo it will take them back to the landing page. 
  • The other pages will still be visible to other people if they have a direct link or if Google shows it in a search result.
  • If you need it completely hidden, you can create a MemberAreas and design it in there. This just costs more and gets a bit complicated, so it's not always an ideal solution. 

Code source: https://www.mehdiaoussiad.com/blog/squarespace-remove-footer-and-header-from-one-page

Thank you! This code works in hiding the header and footer on the landing page. Since I still need a current header and a footer on the landing page while the full website is being built, I think the solution would be to rebuild the header and footer in normal sections and make it look like they are the normal header and footer while the real versions can be viewed on the not linked pages. Would you agree? I can work with that. Thanks again!

@mdotwyou Ahh got it. Sorry, I misunderstood! Since there's just the logo and the social media buttons on the landing page, recreating that in a section would definitely be the easiest path forward. The footer also looks easy enough to recreate. No one will be able to know by looking at the site that anything is different, aside from the new header not sticking to the top. 🙂 If you want that section to stay, you'll need extra code.

Did we help? Click 👍 or mark it as the solution! This helps others find the answers they need. 

Meghan, Owner of Westerly Creative Studio
👩‍💻 🍪  Need a low-cost website policies + cookie banner? Termageddon makes it easy.  Get 10% off your first year! (< affiliate link) 

15 minutes ago, WCS said:

@mdotwyou Ahh got it. Sorry, I misunderstood! Since there's just the logo and the social media buttons on the landing page, recreating that in a section would definitely be the easiest path forward. The footer also looks easy enough to recreate. No one will be able to know by looking at the site that anything is different, aside from the new header not sticking to the top. 🙂 If you want that section to stay, you'll need extra code.

No problem. I will rebuild the sections, and it is also not a problem that the header will not be sticky for a period of time. Thanks again for the help. It is very much appreciated.