Gallery - can't rearrange images or add descriptions

Does anyone else have this issue? Dragging the images around is very touch-and-go for me. I usually have to add the images in one round, then refresh the page, open the edit again, and sometimes I'll be able to rearrange them with drag-and-drop.

Additionally, when I add a description and a link and save the page, it saves the changes maybe 50% of the time.

See attached video.

I've tried in Chrome, Safari and Firefox - all of them have the same issues. I've also tried in private / incognito windows to rule out browser cache or cookie issues.

I'm not sure if this is the right place to report this. I'm building a website for a client and I have A LOT (hundreds) of images and galleries.

Yes I have this exact issue. First it alerted me that my pngs were too large so I downsized them....which helped but didn't get rid of the issue entirely. Also, I'm with you...there's a place for a "description" but it doesn't populate anything right now -- specifically in the lightbox, or anywhere else: hover, etc.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/16/2020 at 10:28 AM, artgirl81 said:

Yes I have this exact issue. First it alerted me that my pngs were too large so I downsized them....which helped but didn't get rid of the issue entirely. Also, I'm with you...there's a place for a "description" but it doesn't populate anything right now -- specifically in the lightbox, or anywhere else: hover, etc.

SS just updated gallery caption yesterday. You can try again ;) ✌️

Email me if you have need any help (free, of course.). Answer within 24 hours. 
Or send to forum message

Contact Customer Care - Learn CSS - Buy me a coffee (thank you!)

On 5/27/2020 at 2:44 AM, tuanphan said:

SS just updated gallery caption yesterday. You can try again ;)

It's still incredibly buggy for me.

• Drag and Drop doesn't work
  • Updating description doesn't work (I'm using a hack to show the description below the image, and it works IF the description is saved, but it rarely is)
  • When uploading multiple images, a few of them are blank after uploading

I'm really starting to regret my decision to use SS... I literally can't do my job. Will not recommend to anyone in the future

My current workaround is to install this paid plugin from a third-party to bring Gallery Blocks back to pages: https://www.squarewebsites.org/products/squarespace-admin-ui-tweaks

The Gallery Blocks work SO much better. You can add title and descriptions, upload is consistent and drag-n-drop works flawlessly. I think Squarespace should just bring back Gallery Blocks to pages. The Gallery Sections in 7.1 are just way too buggy.

• 1 year later...

Its literally faster for me to delete all my images and re upload them in the exact order I want, it just wont let me rearrange at all i move one and the rest get shuffled. It's driving me crazy. I'm going to put a ticket it to let them know but it probably wont be fixed any time soon.

7.1 has grown on me but so many things make the work flow sooo unbelievably slow its frustrating.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Having this issue. Using 7.1. Drag and drop is completely unstable. I've tried Safari and Chrome. If I try to move one image to the place I want it, it goes to a different place, and moves a bunch of other ones. Totally buggy. 

Am I going to have to get the 3rd party Gallery Block? 

Has SS gotten back to anyone about this? Is there no fix or way to arrange the gallery? 

thanks

Edited by TrentM
  • 1 month later...

Also find rearranging photos a problem in the gallery and would like to be able to have the latest images in the gallery posted at the beginning and not the end. This would allow viewers to see the latest photos entered first and not have to scroll though all the older ones .

This is my biggest headache and nothing has improved in my months I've been using 7.1 to build my site. It's difficult enough to arrange my images without buggy glitches making it take 50 times longer than it should. The only way I make any progress is by saving my work after every few moves, then trying again and hoping it will allow at least one image to stay where I move it to. Arranging photos is such a fundamental need, I can't believe this isn't fixed yet.

I'm having issues with this as well. I recorded what was happening here:  https://www.screencast.com/t/oA02fvwajux and https://www.screencast.com/t/yZjJFnfCsl. Tried everything to fix it (cleared my cache, restarted everything, tried it in Chrome and Safari, updated everything, made new pages and started from scratch, etc.). I've reached out to Squarespace and they've said "I can confirm this is related to an issue with gallery sections on our end. We’ve reported this to our Engineering team, and they’re currently prioritizing the issue." They gave me no estimation for fix time. Gonna probably go with the third party app Gallery Block. It's a shame something so fundamental to a website is this buggy. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I'm having the same issue - I've contacted squarespace, maybe they'll be able to help. I had everything arranged how I wanted, then I moved one image, and whole blocks of images I didn't even touch jumped to the wrong part of the page. This is nuts - there should be a better way to rearrange images.

Squarespace got back to me and said too bad, they know about it, it's not fixed and there is no workaround. So if you have a portfolio site on squarespace and God forbid more than 60 images, and you want to move them around, you can't. You are just stuck with what squarespace gives you. 

Has *anyone* else used the paid 3rd party plugin? I don't know who makes it and I don't want to install some kind of spyware on my site. I'm referring to the plugin mentioned earlier in this string: https://www.squarewebsites.org/products/squarespace-admin-ui-tweaks

Thanks!

On 4/21/2022 at 4:09 PM, carriecantwell said:

Has anyone else used the paid 3rd party plugin [by www.squarewebsites.org]?

Good on you for checking! Too many people add code from forums without doing so!

I can heartily recommend the products from Squarewebsites. The author is a great guy and is very talented and helpful.

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...