Why does Squarespace enlarge the file size of an already compressed image?

Hey,
I just got a message from a client ( a photographer)

"....I thought was odd because I limited EVERY file to less tham 740kb at 3000px..This file was showing as 2500px and was saying it was 1.5mb So then I recompressed it and made it 2500px sent it through tiny JPG and got it to 442kb..I uploaded it to Squarespace and now its showing as 666kb…SO squarespace in resizing my images has made them ALL larger which is making the site fail speed test which is certainly going to effect my performance. "

That sounded strange so I ran another test myself (screenshot attached)
1) example File I received 2500x2500 with 1.5MB and after compression 442KB
2) Double-checking the compression on tinyjpg.com and Photoshop Webexport
3) I uploaded the file to Squarespace and right-click downloaded it agin and the file was 666kb

Seeme the difference can be even bigger.

I'm very concerned. thanks for yor help.

PS: What do you think @paul2009 or @tuanphan
I know Google Page Speed and Squarespace are not best friends but what't the best pratice here?

Bildschirmfoto 2020-05-15 um 07.42.57.png

About Armin:
Squarespace Expert Profile: https://www.squarespace.com/designer/profile/3649084
Leaders Lodge: See my Profile

• Replies 12
  • Views 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, ArminB said:

Squarespace in resizing my images has made them ALL larger

I have seen exactly the same situation on Squarespace 7.1 and believed that a built-in image compression feature had been added to speed up download because images download more quickly and uploading already compressed images made things worse.

However, I was wrong. Further testing showed that the image CDN was doing something strange and undocumented. For example, ?format=original is downloading a 2500px wide image, not the original image. 

I stopped compressing images uploaded to 7.1 because it was counter productive. A compressed image of 715px was downloading as 739px - at a lower resolution. I'm going to contact Customer Support to ask for more information.

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

@rodvaldr It's difficult to say what's going on! I'm logging a ticket with Sqs. Others may want to do the same. 

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 5/15/2020 at 12:24 PM, paul2009 said:

@rodvaldr It's difficult to say what's going on! I'm logging a ticket with Sqs. Others may want to do the same. 

Did you hear anything back? I'm running an AMA on using images with Squarespace this month and it would be great to address this issue. I use JPG mini and had assumed Squarespace must have some enterprise version of a similar application on their servers. 

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived