Change text and language on the checkout page and all ecommerce pages from english to german

2137518246_CheckoutSquarespaceGermanLanguage.thumb.png.b6d2ca8137a3c1ccb64ba80ca3715673.pngHello,

i have already setup a webpage included an online shop. But i need to change the text and language from english to german, e.g. the shopping cart and the checkout (please check the attached screenshot). As my business will be in germany, customers will be german, the webpage and all text content has to be german, especially all text from the ecommerce pages. Otherwise its against the law and i  guess i ll be forced to leave the squarespace plattform.

Help is very needed.

Thanks, regards Tom

Edited by Tom118
4 hours ago, srodrigues said:

This way you can have the checkout page to display on that language.

*Assuming the site is using a Bedford, Brine, or York family template or is running on Squarespace 7.1 🙂

About me: I'm Paul. A SQSP User for 18 yrs, I joined Circle when it launched in 2016 and have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: Founder of SF.DIGITAL, providing expertise and extensions to supercharge your Squarespace website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to my own SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee fuels my work.

Book paid help with a Squarespace Domain

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/9/2019 at 4:17 PM, srodrigues said:

You can change the language of your site to German in Home > Settings > Language & Region. This way you can have the checkout page to display on that language. Check this Squarespace help article for more specifics:

Change your site language

If the website is in a language that Squarespace has no translation for (Swedish), how can the language be changed then? Help appreciated! 🙂

Hi @angelica

It isn't good news. If you want to run the front-end of your website in Swedish then there isn't an easy solution. There are many hundreds of fixed phrases that must be translated manually using code. Some have been partially documented but I doubt you'll find a comprehensive guide.

About me: I'm Paul. A SQSP User for 18 yrs, I joined Circle when it launched in 2016 and have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: Founder of SF.DIGITAL, providing expertise and extensions to supercharge your Squarespace website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to my own SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee fuels my work.

@paul2009 Thank you ! 🙂 Yeah, I really hope Squarespace is working on better solutions for language support in the future. I'm using MemberSpace with my website and they have a great feature that lets you translate most of the words used. I would love to see something like that! Also more options for how to show time, date, forms etc. Not all countries start the calendar on Mondays, write MMDDYY, use AM/PM or have states. 🙂

Exactly! If it's any help @angelica, I have an extension that allows you to correct the date issue, by adding a date picker. I've also documented a free fix to remove the AM/PM field.

• 4 months later...
On 5/21/2020 at 9:04 AM, EspenW said:

I need my checkout to be in Norwegian, but i can not find any place to change or translate. Is this not possible in Squarespace?

Squarespace do not offer a Norwegian language option yet. You'll find details of the supported languages here, as well as details of the templates that support them (some Squarespace 7.0 templates only support English).

If your site has been built in English, there's a third-party service that you can use called Weglot. It can translate into 100 different languages including Norwegian and it is the only product I know that can successfully translate the checkout page.

Edited by paul2009

• 1 year later...

Inked20211202_Squarespace_FormTranslation_LI.jpg.77af6a1a8e938a8276992b89f478b8ba.jpg

On 1/5/2020 at 7:26 PM, paul2009 said:

Hi @angelica

It isn't good news. If you want to run the front-end of your website in Swedish then there isn't an easy solution. There are many hundreds of fixed phrases that must be translated manually using code. Some have been partially documented but I doubt you'll find a comprehensive guide.

Hi Paul,

Do you know how can i edit the default error message that appears in the Form Block, because in my language the sentence is not well constructed in grammatical terms, that is, it is not well translated.

Regards,

Tiago

On 12/2/2021 at 6:15 PM, tiagocristovao said:

Do you know how can i edit the default error message that appears in the Form Block

Hi Tiago,

There isn't a way to edit the messages because Squarespace doesn't make them accessible to you. Instead, you'll need some JavaScript that looks for the standard error messages and, if they appear, it will substitute your custom messages instead. Here's an article from 2015 that covers this. I don't know if it still works but it should help you to get started.

Paul

• 4 weeks later...
15 minutes ago, ColineDoe said:

is it possible to have to shop in two different languages?

It isn't currently possible to translate key elements of an online store, including the checkout and the order notifications sent to customers. These can only be in a single language.