How can I take orders without taking payment?

32 minutes ago, BethH said:

It would be nice to allow customers to submit a request on a product without having to submit payment. 

Can you clarify what you'd like to be able to do? If you can provide a working link to the site and/or screenshots of what you'd like to see, that would be great 🙂

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
.sqs-add-to-cart-button-wrapper {
  visibility: hidden;
  display: none;
}

Should do the trick on your custom css if you just want to remove the button.

Note that if squarespace opt to change the css class associated with the button you'll need to update the code. 

Edited by CharlesFDev
  • 5 months later...
7 hours ago, morgane said:

I am setting up a business to sell cakes and will only make customers pay upon delivery. If i cannot circumvent the checkout page I will need to change websites provider

Take a look @paul2009's Product Wishlist that may be part of an overall solution.

Find my contributions useful? Please like, upvote, mark my answer as the best ( solution ), and see my profile. Thanks for your support! I am a Squarespace ( and other technological things ) consultant open for new projects.

• 4 weeks later...

(Update code from the YT comments)

.sqs-add-to-cart-button-wrapper {display:none !important;}
.product-quantity-select { display:none !important;}

From Youtube, this worked for me in two seconds and I've never worked with code a day in my life. I'm not buying an extension for $100+ to be able to remove a feature. Hope this helps everyone!! 

• 3 weeks later...

I'll go ahead and pile on here as well.  I sell coffee locally that is typically roasted to order.  Most of my clients prefer to pay when we deliver or they pick up.  It feels very goofy to tell people to use a "cash" discount code to pay that way.  I really wish they had the option to pay in person.  The wishlist extension does not work for me because some people do like to pay online.  I find it fascinating that this option doesn't exist especially seeing how large the food industry is with people wanting to order and pay when they pick up.  Square must be losing a lot of business due to this single issue. Bizarre!

• 3 weeks later...

I am in the same boat after bringing this issue up nearly two years ago and sadly there is still no solution. I've contacted support and was told my suggestion would be noted.

Shopify has had this feature since 2015. We simply need one toggle in the commerce section to "authorize only" which then gives us 7 days to capture the order in the Stripe dashboard (or SS orders tab). Stripe supports this feature, I've contacted them, but SS has not exposed it to us!

I need this kind of processing ability as my final orders almost always change in value (customizations after initial order), most times increase. It also adds another level of security and avoids all sorts of issues associated with accepting credit card payments. Merging authorization and capture at the time of checkout simply does not fit the way we do business... I did not know about this before choosing SS, you only learn about these things afterwards....

I hope others here contact support and raise this matter, perhaps it will be heard a bit more loudly.

Here is what is on Shopify's website -

1. From your Shopify admin, go to Settings > Payments.
  1. In the Payment capture section, click Manage.

2. Select Manually capture payment for orders.

3. Optional: If you use Shopify Payments and you want to receive emails before the authorization period for each order ends, then check Send a warning email when authorizations are close to expiring.

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone found a work around for this issue? It is incredibly frustrating as I am working a client site that does 90% wholesale orders for grocery stores (turkey farmer). It is important for them to adjust their order totals based on the weight once a order is picked.

I am almost done their website, and they've paid for their plan already. I feel a bit duped and I should've worked through Shopify. They are using QuickBooks online and I've connected the two through OneSaas. From my primary research it seemed possible through OneSaas to adjust invoices. What I glossed over was you can't place an order without payment. I am not looking forward to this major let down with my client. Do I need to start over with Shopify?

I've chatted with the SS help centre but there is no advice. I wish they would understand how big of a pit fall this is with their product. I've been reading forums and this has long been an issue.

Has anyone used this WishList plugin for a similar situation?

1 hour ago, JannaLantz said:

Has anyone used this WishList plugin for a similar situation?

The Wishlist plugin/extension is not designed for this situation. 

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

• 6 months later...

(Below Says) "Squarespace doesn't offer any manual processing of invoices so (as you probably do now) you'll need an external invoicing package for these transactions"

I have a client who I am considering migrating to Squarespace, but it is contingent upon them being able to use this (small business) payment processor - even if done manually.

The platform they are currently using captures the order, name, address, shipping info and partial Credit Card details and then simply alerts them to the sale via email.  They then log into our platform and retrieve the card info. Once we have the credit card details, we manually input the info into our terminal.

The platform that is used is Chase Paymentech (https://www.cfib-fcei.ca/en/member-savings-benefits/chase).  The CFIB (Canadian Federation of Independent Businesses) offers discounts on our merchant fees, through Chase. Chase then EFTs the funds to our bank account which we normally receive in 2 days.

The only issue the client has with this current process is they do not always charge people when they order. If someone orders a customized product,  we do not require payment until the product is ready to ship (which could be a couple of months later). With manually keying in the credit card details, we have the option of either charging a deposit for the order & paying the balance later or paying in full up front. We normally email the customer first to discuss these options. Occasionally, the customer wants to make payments every 2 weeks or so & this allows us to accommodate this.

If I can only integrate using PayPal or Stripe or Square - I'm just paying unnecessary transaction fees (twice.)  ANY value accrued by the Chase/CFIB processing is lost entirely.

Can someone please help me to understand whether a Chase Processing integration is possible?  Alternatively, whether all transaction details can be captured and sent to be manually processed?  Thanks in advance.

6 minutes ago, HippyShake said:

Can someone please help me to understand whether a Chase Processing integration is possible?

It is not possible.

Is it possible on the SS platform to allow a customer to customize a product, add it to the cart, collect their credit card info etc. and then send that info to me to process manually?  Then is there a way to close the sale on SS - such that the customer is auto-emailed confirmation?

Alternatively, is there any way to process sales on SS without having to use Stripe, Square or PayPal? 

• 4 weeks later...

It's sad the SS is not listening to the needs of their clients regarding this. My client is a company that sells candy to private consumers as well as wholesalers. Wholesalers never buy through stripe or via credit card. They buy via invoice.

Would be great if SS had the option to make offline payments in check-out (without strange workaround like 100% discounts etc) but because SS does not have this solution (which is amazingly strange for such a big company) we are now looking at other solutions for the website and e-commerce. If you have any recommendations on e-commerce solutions that offers offline payments in check-out- please do to let me know!

In Germany, my customer prefer not to use credit card or PayPal. They prefer making a direct bank transaction. Requiring a CC or PayPal to purchase any services is costing me customers. The platform works well for me, and allows me to run my membership business easily. I unfortunately lose about all customers who do not prefer to use CC or PayPal in this market.  ☹️

On 11/19/2023 at 8:55 AM, MikaelCross said:

It's sad the SS is not listening to the needs of their clients regarding this. My client is a company that sells candy to private consumers as well as wholesalers. Wholesalers never buy through stripe or via credit card. They buy via invoice.

Would be great if SS had the option to make offline payments in check-out (without strange workaround like 100% discounts etc) but because SS does not have this solution (which is amazingly strange for such a big company) we are now looking at other solutions for the website and e-commerce. If you have any recommendations on e-commerce solutions that offers offline payments in check-out- please do to let me know!

I could not agree more.

As a new user of Squarespace, I've encountered a significant issue that is quite frustrating. I'm based in Switzerland, where there is a strong preference for payments made through cash and Twint, a popular local payment app which doesn't work with Squarspace.

Unfortunately, I'm facing the same problem as many others: the inability to process orders manually.

I sincerely hope that the customer service team will swiftly address this substantial limitation of the system.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

This is a frustrating situation, especially for South-Africans. None of the payment platforms work here. I dont want to use the Ecwid or Shopify connection as it makes your website look ugly ( not consistent with the rest of the design. 

This is a frustrating situation, especially for South-Africans. None of the payment platforms work here. I dont want to use the Ecwid or Shopify connection as it makes your website look ugly ( not consistent with the rest of the design.