Squarespace 7.1 Will not allow me to upload fonts

28 minutes ago, haleyisabelle said:

So, I created a different squarespace 7.1 site about 2 weeks ago for a client and uploaded several custom fonts. Today, I started a new site and it's not allowing me to upload fonts into my custom files. It still says "Upload images or fonts", it just won't allow me to select any font files. What do I dooooo?

I know this sounds odd, but try clearing your cache and/or using a different browser and trying again. That is always the first try when having issues. Also, make sure the new fonts are compatible and file types that allowed to be uploaded.

6 minutes ago, sayreambrosio said:

I know this sounds odd, but try clearing your cache and/or using a different browser and trying again. That is always the first try when having issues. Also, make sure the new fonts are compatible and file types that allowed to be uploaded.

Exactly my first thought! I logged into the website where I was allowed to upload custom fonts, and it allowed me to select font files. So I logged back into my new site, and still, can't select those same font files. So I tried a different browser, and same issue! It's driving me insaneeee. Think I'm gonna try clearing my cache next, but with a different browser having the same issue, I'm thinking it's more a squarespace issue than something on my end, unfortunately.

28 minutes ago, haleyisabelle said:

Exactly my first thought! I logged into the website where I was allowed to upload custom fonts, and it allowed me to select font files. So I logged back into my new site, and still, can't select those same font files. So I tried a different browser, and same issue! It's driving me insaneeee. Think I'm gonna try clearing my cache next, but with a different browser having the same issue, I'm thinking it's more a squarespace issue than something on my end, unfortunately.

Are the font file types different by any chance than the ones you were able to upload previously? 

8 minutes ago, sayreambrosio said:

Are the font file types different by any chance than the ones you were able to upload previously? 

Nope, same exact ones 😞 Also, they are both version 7.1 sites, but the way to access "Custom CSS" is different? On my client's site, it's accessed through Design, but on my new site I created today, it's accessed through "Website", which takes me to the "Pages" tab, or what used to be called "pages", then I have to scroll all the way down and click "Website tools", and THEN "Custom CSS." So, I'm wondering if they changed something.

19 minutes ago, haleyisabelle said:

Nope, same exact ones 😞 Also, they are both version 7.1 sites, but the way to access "Custom CSS" is different? On my client's site, it's accessed through Design, but on my new site I created today, it's accessed through "Website", which takes me to the "Pages" tab, or what used to be called "pages", then I have to scroll all the way down and click "Website tools", and THEN "Custom CSS." So, I'm wondering if they changed something.

You're not going crazy on the location. Some have it and some don't.

That is so strange. You might have to reach out to support on the not loading thing. 

• 2 weeks later...

I've seen a slightly different issue reported recently, from this one, I think.

Folks have been getting errors when trying to upload supported font formats. I even had them send me the files and I was able to uploaded them to my test site.

So perhaps there is a more generalized font uploading issue. The only way you will get help is to Contact Customer Support, we can't solve SS backend issues.

Find my contributions useful? Please like, upvote, mark my answer as the best ( solution ), and see my profile. Thanks for your support! I am a Squarespace ( and other technological things ) consultant open for new projects.

• 2 weeks later...

For the past week or so, all of my clients have been complaining about Squarespace being on the fritz, and I have definitely experienced it too. Needing to refresh constantly to see changes, pages not wanting to save to allow me to refresh, the custom css box throwing up errors where there are none until you refresh and then they're magically gone. etc.

But waking up this morning to the new UI was a nice surprise, "Oh!" thought I, "This is why everything has been going wrong, they were preparing this. Everything will run smoothly now." Getting to grips with the new layout took all of 5 minutes and I like that they've put custom CSS and Code Injection together now etc. Looks great. Styles are a little hard to find and I imagine will be difficult for new users to stumble upon but apart from that, great.

My issue came with when I tried to upload a custom font to the custom folders section. I was uploading a .ttf which is listed as one of the accepted files and yet I got the attached error.

...So, I contact Squarespace Customer help to tell them that this functionality has broken since the update. They tell me they can't help with custom code. I say it's not about custom code, it's about the uploading feature. He sends me a video of it uploading fine on mac and tells me it's a "device or browser" issue. So I try every browser I have, and none of it works. So we realize that it's just that the development team have entirely forgotten to make it work for half or more of their user base: Windows users. Absolutely unbelievable. 

Shortly after, he sends an email telling me that it's an issue they are aware of already, so I assume they have had a lot of Windows users ranting and raving this morning. I guess my question is, are you a windows user, are you having this issue too, and do you have any workarounds while they get their sh*t together? 

I've tried doing it as a file upload through the link page method but can't work out how to point the custom css to that link after the fact etc. 

Any help would be appreciated as, hilariously, customer help aren't allowed to upload anything to your site for you, even if they can, because the platform is supposed to "empower users to make their own sites". ...and despite the fact that the platform was doing the exact opposite of that and that the customer help could help a customer, they wouldn't/couldn't. 

So, community? You've always been the best thing about this platform, help me (and countless others) out?

Screenshot 2023-08-03 094052.png

3 minutes ago, abicon said:

@joshuahext

Same issue josh, except i am on mac.

It's definite bug or they are no longer allowing custom font upload in 7.1 which is what the chat bot said when i asked (that's more scary).

Am awaiting a response from SQSP.

God, that would be a real dealbreaker for me. The guy at customer help didn't say they were planning on dropping the functionality to me and did say that it was an issue their devs were aware of. So, I hope that's not the case. Will send a follow up email to him though highlighting you are having the same issue on mac. 

3 hours ago, abicon said:

Yes me also, I include custom fonts in 90% of sites.

I have about 35 or so with custom fonts.

So have had to spend this evening in Australia, making sure all my custom code has 

!important;

Tags.

Because of the font code upgrades

Thanks Squarespace!!

It's terrible, I've got clients breathing down my neck on these projects too and I'm having to tell them I literally cannot progress as I cannot upload any fonts. I haven't noticed it affecting any fonts already in place though.

Anyone figured a way of hosting these fonts elsewhere or something until this sh*tstorm blows over?

EDIT:

Found a workaround that works for me in particular, if you go to the site on your phone, force desktop mode, and then upload the font from your phone, it should upload. This seems to be a working solution until they fix this. Hope that helps you guys too!

Edited by joshuahext
Adding a solution.
11 hours ago, joshuahext said:

It's terrible, I've got clients breathing down my neck on these projects too and I'm having to tell them I literally cannot progress as I cannot upload any fonts. I haven't noticed it affecting any fonts already in place though.

Anyone figured a way of hosting these fonts elsewhere or something until this sh*tstorm blows over?

EDIT:

Found a workaround that works for me in particular, if you go to the site on your phone, force desktop mode, and then upload the font from your phone, it should upload. This seems to be a working solution until they fix this. Hope that helps you guys too!

Using Windows 10 here (although I can confirm this error also exists for Mac users).

Unfortunately, this workaround didn't work for me. This issue is totally unbelievable and has cost us designers a lot of time wasted, really disappointing how SQSP is handling this

Anyone else unable to upload .woff or .woff2 with the recent update? This has only started happening for me since "Pages" was renamed to "Website" and Custom CSS has moved to "Website Tools". I'm unable to select the files when pressing "Upload files", and dragging and dropping the files onto the "Upload Files" brings up an error message saying they aren't a compatible file format? Any ideas?

Screenshot 2023-08-04 at 12.06.13.png

3 hours ago, jackwatkins said:

Anyone else unable to upload .woff or .woff2 with the recent update? This has only started happening for me since "Pages" was renamed to "Website" and Custom CSS has moved to "Website Tools". I'm unable to select the files when pressing "Upload files", and dragging and dropping the files onto the "Upload Files" brings up an error message saying they aren't a compatible file format? Any ideas?

Screenshot 2023-08-04 at 12.06.13.png

Yeah, the issue only started for me after the UI update too. ...and I agree with everyone saying Squarespace's response to this has been very disheartening. The only thing I can suggest is my solution above in the meantime, which is: to go to the site on your phone, force desktop mode, and then upload the font from your phone. It works for me and I am on a Samsung Android device. I have no idea whether it will work on other phones though. 

The work around of forcing desktop mode on mobile meant I could upload the file but I can't get it the font to show on the front-end, tried adding custom CSS and viewing in preview mode. It's sooo easy to upload fonts to hostinger website builder.. I was expecting Squarespace to be easy as considering the price difference. 😕 

22 minutes ago, ClareB said:

I was expecting Squarespace to be easy

It normally is fairly easy but SS has had a number of issues with CSS and font uploading recently and it's taking them forever to acknowledge the issues and provide fixes or a reasonable timeline for fixes.

Please Contact Customer Support and report your issue.

Find my contributions useful? Please like, upvote, mark my answer as the best ( solution ), and see my profile. Thanks for your support! I am a Squarespace ( and other technological things ) consultant open for new projects.

• 1 month later...