Decreased quality for background videos on mobile

Uploaded video backgrounds in 7.1 do display in high quality on mobile at standard broadcast formats. Ex: 1080w X 1920h H.265 and H.264 results are positive. This does cause some limitations but my recommendation is to make two movies if your movie/s are not a standard format. Please, add this to help section because it is a know issue. Thank you!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Having the same issue here, seems like this is only an issue with uploaded videos in 7.1 themes...

I have taken all of Squarespace's suggestions as far as file type, size, fps, etc. It's 1080p, HD, 60fps, H.264. Nothing changes at all. 

How is this an issue for this long without a fix??

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi! I am also having this same issue on my sites where the high quality video I upload looks fine on desktop but low quality on mobile. 

Gerda, I tried another video insert and that kept the quality but didn't allow me to expand the video to full bleed, so it just looked tiny. When the video expanded in the player, it looked great. But the tiny video isn't what we wanted.

Squarespace devs, any way to fix? Current site traffic is 80% mobile.

Many thanks!

AuraKat

Hi everyone, I've noticed this too and the reason is because if you've uploaded a HD 1920x1080 video then Squarespace will use a low-res 640x340 version of that video if you view the website on small screens like mobiles. As Paul says, the reason is to keep the video file size small so it can successfully load on lower quality internet connections.

However, I think visitors expect HD quality video even on mobile, and most people have the connection speed to pretty quickly access high resolution video. So I've written a plugin that overrides what Squarespace is doing and forces the higher resolution version of the video to play. I've done a demo on Youtube, and more information is on my website.

Any questions let me know.

Andrew
Digital Freelancer

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Also just chiming in to reinforce that Andrew's plugin worked like a charm!  Also, despite Squarespace making some poorly timed (at least for me, as I was launching my new small business' website) tweaks to their site architecture, Andrew was incredible responsive and helpful in working with and troubleshooting with me to help navigate those.  So, I'd say the plugin itself is worth the $10, but then to have Andrew's attentiveness and support along with it, it's pretty invaluable.  Thanks, Andrew!

• 1 month later...
26 minutes ago, Gertjan said:

Having problems with video playback as well

If you are experiencing difficulties or something isn't working as expected, please contact Squarespace Customer Care directly.  Squarespace employees don't routinely monitor this forum for feedback (see the guidelines - item 6) and forum users cannot resolve technical issues. 

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

• 11 months later...