Why custom CSS is not working?

Go to solution Solved by paul2009,

Hello,

I am fairly new to Squarespace, however this is the first real "impossible" issue that I've run into.

I would like to add a bottom border to the first section of my website. There are plenty of tutorials on this, however none of them actually work for me. I've tested the below CSS on multiple websites and it doesn't work on any of them. Is this code simply out of date?

section[data-section-id="62545a717950610f6036f8a8"]{
  border-bottom: 20px solid red;
}

Of course, that is the section id for the one on my site, however it does not work on any sections on any of my sites. I would greatly appreciate it if someone could let me know if there is a new/alternative method of achieving a bottom border on a section.

Thank you!

1 hour ago, Jacob35 said:

Hello,

I am fairly new to Squarespace, however this is the first real "impossible" issue that I've run into.

I would like to add a bottom border to the first section of my website. There are plenty of tutorials on this, however none of them actually work for me. I've tested the below CSS on multiple websites and it doesn't work on any of them. Is this code simply out of date?

section[data-section-id="62545a717950610f6036f8a8"]{
  border-bottom: 20px solid red;
}

Of course, that is the section id for the one on my site, however it does not work on any sections on any of my sites. I would greatly appreciate it if someone could let me know if there is a new/alternative method of achieving a bottom border on a section.

Thank you!

CSS is not working for me either. I wonder if it's a global issue?

33 minutes ago, Kizzy said:

CSS is not working for me either. I wonder if it's a global issue?

Thanks for confirming, I appreciate the reply. It must be, that's really the only explanation I can think of as well. Hopefully this is resolved soon or someone else can provide a solution to this issue.

Folks please post the URL for a page on your site where we can see your issue.

If your site is not public please set up a site-wide password, if you've not already done so.

Post the password here.

Adding a site-wide password does not allow anyone to alter your site. It only allows those with the password to see your site. Please read the documentation at the link provided to understand how it works.

Please read the documentation at the link provided on how to share a link to your site to understand how it works. A link to the backend of the your site won’t work for us, i.e. a url that contains /config/.

We can then take a look at your issue.

Find my contributions useful? Please like, upvote, mark my answer as the best ( solution ), and see my profile. Thanks for your support! I am a Squarespace ( and other technological things ) consultant open for new projects.

• Solution

Friday 15 April 2022:

I can confirm there is currently an issue with the preview pane on Squarespace 7.1 sites that is preventing CSS from being previewed correctly whilst editing the site.

It has been reported to Squarespace's Engineering team, and they’re currently prioritizing the issue.

The temporary workaround is not very efficient, but is functional. Open a second browser window in private/incognito mode and preview your website in this other window without logging on to Squarespace. If you are in a trial, you will need to set a public site-wide password to allow you to view the site whilst not logged on.

With both windows open, you can make CSS changes in the main logged-in window, save them and then refresh the private window to see if they have worked as expected.

Regarding issues generally, you can report issues with the platform directly to Squarespace using this link.

Did this help? Please give feedback by clicking an icon below  ⬇️

Edited by paul2009

Me: I'm Paul, a SQSP user for >18 yrs & Circle Leader since 2017. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: Founder of SF.DIGITAL. We provide high quality original extensions to supercharge your Squarespace website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to my own SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is completely free. You can thank me by selecting a feedback emoji. Buying a coffee is generous but optional.

11 minutes ago, paul2009 said:

I can confirm there is currently an issue with the preview pane on Squarespace 7.1 sites that is preventing CSS from being previewed correctly whilst editing the site.

It has been reported to Squarespace's Engineering team, and they’re currently prioritizing the issue.

Note that you can report issues with the platform directly to Squarespace using this link.

Did this help? Please give feedback by clicking an icon below  ⬇️

Got it, thanks for getting back to us. I will certainly submit a proper report next time. Appreciate all you do! Have a great weekend!

Hello,

I just had this problem pop up today as I was adding some CSS to my website. I have tried clearing cache, using alternate browsers, removing all CSS and entering various code one at a time, and still nothing. All of the code I had in there just stopped working all-together. 

URL: womentalkconstruction.com

EDIT: I just read where Squarespace was having trouble with CSS at the moment. I will wait a bit and maybe they will sort it out.

EDIT #2: I opened a ticket and SS confirmed it was something that was wrong with the CSS editor on their end. In my case, it had to be escalated to an engineer. I am still waiting on a fix but they said that they would notify me through email once the issue had been resolved. If there is any additional information that I can provide after I get the response, I will certainly add that information here.

Cheers!

Edited by Username
Spelling
On 4/16/2022 at 1:50 PM, jonaverill said:

I can no longer live preview CSS

See above @jonaverill

Edited by paul2009

Me: I'm Paul, a SQSP user for >18 yrs & Circle Leader since 2017. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: Founder of SF.DIGITAL. We provide high quality original extensions to supercharge your Squarespace website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to my own SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is completely free. You can thank me by selecting a feedback emoji. Buying a coffee is generous but optional.

On 2/22/2021 at 1:20 PM, tuanphan said:

Yes. some CSS work on editing mode only.

EG. If you use CSS background image with this url format "/s/image.png" it won't work. >>> Need to change to fullurl. Something like this: yourdomain.com/s/image.png

Hi Tuan, I have an issue with my site. any css I apply to it does not work. its wiered, can you help. here is the url:

https://piano-blackbird-ggge.squarespace.com/

21 hours ago, Asiya said:

any css I apply to it does not work

There's currently a bug with Custom CSS in preview, and this could be affecting what you see. Please take a look at this thread:

Edited by paul2009

I'm facing with a problem. Custom CSS is not working on my any website. Does anyone know why?

Edited by Web_Solutions

If my comments are useful, please like and mark my solution as answer. It will encourage me. Thanks

MD Rofik
Website Designer and Digital Marketer

Am I helpful? Want to offer me a coffee?
Send me a message if needed any help. I'll try to reply as soon as possible.

• Web_Solutions changed the title to Why custom CSS is not working?
On 4/15/2022 at 1:45 PM, paul2009 said:

Not just 7.1, it's happening in 7.0 as well. Hope they fix this quickly!

CalmBusinessLogoTitleSimple.png.3067db0e3c08baf2e967872eaa6f9182.png

Hi, I'm Kerstin! I offer business and marketing courses to help solopreneurs deepen their business skills and grow their confidence, audience, and revenue - without the hustle.

👩🏼‍💻 What kind of entrepreneur are you?  Take the quiz

8 minutes ago, Donna_Vincent said:

Is there a place that we can track the status of issues?

Squarespace have a status page but they only publish details of major outages,  they consider to be serious issues, connectivity outages, checkout failures and so on.

I have created a thread where Circle members can share details of bugs and changes whenever they are discovered as well as fixes. As a Circle member, you'll find it here

3 hours ago, paul2009 said:

Squarespace have a status page but they only publish details of major outages,  they consider to be serious issues, connectivity outages, checkout failures and so on.

I have created a thread where Circle members can share details of bugs and changes whenever they are discovered as well as fixes. As a Circle member, you'll find it here

Do you know when the problem will be solved?

4 hours ago, paul2009 said:

Thank you!

Hi there,

New to the forums. A few questions regarding the CSS bug.

1. CSS isn't working for me period, even when I view the site logged out in an incognito window. Is this the same issue? I saw tips suggesting it should work to view that way. 

2. Should I report the issue as well? Not sure if it helps to have more people reporting it, or once it is a known issue is it better to just wait?

3. I'm supposed to launch a client site today and not sure if I should delay launch. I'm surprised how long its taken to fix such a major issue. Anyone know if this is normal for fixing an issue like this? 

Thank you!

Edited by laurel