Why custom CSS is not working?

Go to solution Solved by paul2009,

27 minutes ago, laurel said:

Hi there,

New to the forums. A few questions regarding the CSS bug.

1. CSS isn't working for me period, even when I view the site logged out in an incognito window. Is this the same issue? I saw tips suggesting it should work to view that way. 

2. Should I report the issue as well? Not sure if it helps to have more people reporting it, or once it is a known issue is it better to just wait?

3. I'm supposed to launch a client site today and not sure if I should delay launch. I'm surprised how long its taken to fix such a major issue. Anyone know if this is normal for fixing an issue like this? 

Thank you!

Same thing here, Nothing is working. The issue has been detected on Friday. I believe they are working on it, at least I hope so. When is it going to be fixed? No one knows.

@laurel

I had (having) the same issue. CSS stopped working for me all-together on Friday. I opened a ticket with SS and I will post below the response they sent me back through email. 

##- Please type your reply above this line -##

Your request (7501937) has been updated. To add additional comments, reply to this email.

Luke S. (Squarespace)

Apr 15, 2022, 7:51 PM EDT

Hi Michael,

I am reaching out to follow up on our previous chat, regarding the issue you have been experiencing with our CSS editor.

Following further investigation, it was confirmed that the issue you're experiencing is related to a bug on our end that we are currently working to resolve. With this being the case, we have reported your particular site to our Engineering team, and they’re currently prioritizing the issue.

Please keep in mind that there are many moving parts we need to address before we roll out a solution. We thoroughly test all fixes before they’re released to ensure they don’t affect other Squarespace components or customers.

As a result, we can’t guarantee how long it will take to fix issues like the one affecting your site. Also, because of the volume of requests we receive, we can’t always follow up personally when the issue is resolved.

Lastly, I do want to acknowledge that customer bug reports are an important part of how we continue to improve our platform, so I appreciate you taking the time to report this to us. If you come across any other unusual behavior, or have any further questions, please let us know.

Best,

Luke S.
http://support.squarespace.com

So, the reason that it is taking so long is that they have to test all the things before committing to a patch. They need to make sure that the patch will not affect other users or break something else. As terribly inconvenient as this is, I can understand where they are coming from having been in their position. If you are like me, CSS really takes your website to the next level and in some cases, (my case) even goes as far as breaking the design without it. 

I hope everything works out for you and your client despite the CSS issue. Have a good day!

~ Michael 

Edited by Username
Spelling
1 hour ago, laurel said:

CSS isn't working for me period, even when I view the site logged out in an incognito window. Is this the same issue?

@laurel The current technical issue ("bug) is preventing users from testing their Custom CSS whilst they are logged onto their website.

If the CSS is formatted correctly and has been saved, it should work correctly when you are viewing the site from a second browser (or second browser window) but you'll need to refresh browser window after each change and you must be logged out of Squarespace in this second window.

There can be any number of reasons why CSS isn't working, even in normal circumstances. For example, you may have a typo, missing bracket or a selector that isn't specific enough. If you'd like the community to help by taking a second look at the site, please provide a working link to the page on the site, details of what you are trying to achieve, and a screenshot of the part of the CSS that isn't working. We can then take a look.

Was this post informative? Please give feedback by clicking an icon below  ⬇️

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

7 hours ago, paul2009 said:

@laurel The current technical issue ("bug) is preventing users from testing their Custom CSS whilst they are logged onto their website.

If the CSS is formatted correctly and has been saved, it should work correctly when you are viewing the site from a second browser (or second browser window) but you'll need to refresh browser window after each change and you must be logged out of Squarespace in this second window.

There can be any number of reasons why CSS isn't working, even in normal circumstances. For example, you may have a typo, missing bracket or a selector that isn't specific enough. If you'd like the community to help by taking a second look at the site, please provide a working link to the page on the site, details of what you are trying to achieve, and a screenshot of the part of the CSS that isn't working. We can then take a look.

Was this post informative? Please give feedback by clicking an icon below  ⬇️

Do you know when the problem will be fixed? It's been 3 days

16 hours ago, HunterD said:

@Obi-Wan  As a legendary Jedi Master, I thought you could help us. Seems like you have the power to do so.

Ha! While the force is in and around all things, unfortunately, it doesn't reach the deep, dark catacombs of the SS devs thought to lie far beyond the edge of our known universe. Otherwise, I certainly would have gathered all of the midichlorians within me to force-fix the CSS Editor by now. 😆

23 minutes ago, Obi-Wan said:

Ha! While the force is in and around all things, unfortunately, it doesn't reach the deep, dark catacombs of the SS devs thought to lie far beyond the edge of our known universe. Otherwise, I certainly would have gathered all of the midichlorians within me to force-fix the CSS Editor by now. 😆

How is it possible that the problem is still not fixed? Its been like 3 days..

1 hour ago, Obi-Wan said:

Obi-Wan Kenobi - The CSS Saga - S1-E1 😂

16 minutes ago, steve_plaster said:

Has anyone had a useful/successful customer service reaction to this issue. I've basically been told we'll fix it when we can and told to jog on.

Wow. 

This is what I found on Squarespace Help center:

"Note: Custom code, including CSS, falls outside the scope of our support. This means we’re unable to help further with setup or troubleshooting. Additionally, with a code-based solution, we can’t guarantee its functionality or full compatibility with Squarespace. This includes how it functions with our responsive design, particularly its appearance on mobile devices, and if it functions on all templates. CSS customizations can also cause display issues with future updates to our platform. "

So, I am assuming this issue is not a priority. I believe they're trying to fix it, but just as you said, when they can. I am just assuming here, I could be totally wrong.

Edited by HunterD
4 minutes ago, HunterD said:

Wow. 

This is what I found on Squarespace Help center:

"Note: Custom code, including CSS, falls outside the scope of our support. This means we’re unable to help further with setup or troubleshooting. Additionally, with a code-based solution, we can’t guarantee its functionality or full compatibility with Squarespace. This includes how it functions with our responsive design, particularly its appearance on mobile devices, and if it functions on all templates. CSS customizations can also cause display issues with future updates to our platform. "

So, I am assuming this issue is not a priority. I believe they're trying to fix it, but just as you said, when they can. I am just assuming here, I could be totally wrong.

They responded with this to me as well - but this only covers the code/css added within the code window - not the functionality itself (which is the fault). The functionality is provided as part of the core infrastructure of the platform and as such is covered by terms of use and support to my understanding. 

A fix for the CSS panel issue was rolled out a short time ago. Most sites should be working again now, with others following really soon 🥳.

@Obi-Wan @loisartz @Donna_Vincent @steve_plaster @nomadweek @laurel @Jacob35 @Kizzy @2birds @thefakedaniel @jonaverill @Asiya @Web_Solutions @Ainul @kerstinmartin

Edited by paul2009

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

5 minutes ago, Jenster said:

No CSS whatsoever is working anymore. The one thing that is now working is notification of any syntax error I enter.

This sounds like it may be an error - usually missing punctuation. To test this I generally recommend that you remove all the Custom CSS (save it somewhere safely for a moment!) and then add a basic line of CSS to see if it works.

18 hours ago, paul2009 said:

A fix for the CSS panel issue was rolled out a short time ago. Most sites should be working again now, with others following really soon 🥳.

@Obi-Wan @loisartz @Donna_Vincent @steve_plaster @nomadweek @laurel @Jacob35 @Kizzy @2birds @thefakedaniel @jonaverill @Asiya @Web_Solutions @Ainul @kerstinmartin

Thanks so much, sincerely appreciate you keeping us informed! Cheers mate, huge sigh of relief as my site looks back to normal this morning 🙏

20 hours ago, paul2009 said:

Thank you for keeping us updated.   The fix rolled out as I was working..  🙂