Change Subscription Pricing

Go to solution Solved by paul2009,

Site URL: https://www.tristarbincleaning.com/

We offer primarily subscription service on our site. We will need to adjust pricing at some point. Squarespace does not allow us to adjust pricing and affect existing customers' pricing.

Example: I have 100 customers paying $10 for their subscription. I want to raise the price to $11. The only way to do that is to cancel the subscription and create a new one. That WILL result in lost customers. Imagine if Netflix required customers to cancel their subscription and rejoin every time they had a price increase. 

1. Anyone… is there any way around this?

2. SS employees who may monitor this thread… this needs to be changed!  We need the ability to change subscription pricing (or change variants, etc…) WITHOUT requiring cancellation of services and creating a new one.

3. Unrelated to this, but a subscription related issue. Every order is a NEW order. NO! The first order is a new order. The second, third, fourth, etc… orders are not NEW orders. They are ongoing orders. This causes confusion when fulfilling orders and simply doesn't make sense. We would love to sit on an advisory panel to discuss how to improve subscriptions in SS.

• 1 year later...

We have the exact same issue! Need to implement a price increase to our subscription licenses but it only applies to new orders. 

Also finding the 'New Order' emails an issue for subscription purchases. They are a 'reoccurring order'..

Our team they have to go to extra lengths to find out if its an actual 'new order' or a 'reoccurring order' incase they then send out the same product again.

Please can we have some updates on these issues being fixed?

• Solution
On 2/23/2022 at 12:07 PM, Boffix said:

Need to implement a price increase to our subscription licenses but it only applies to new orders. 

Also...our team they have to go to extra lengths to find out if [a New Order email is] an actual 'new order' or a 'recurring order'.

I'd love to see changes to both! Unfortunately, although these issues have been discussed with Squarespace, there is no news on when (or if) these will change. 

You can increase the price for new subscriptions but you cannot increase the price of existing subscriptions or memberships.

I've been advocating for this for four-and-a-half-years and have submitted a feature request here (Circle members only). I would love to see this prioritised.

Squarespace employees don't routinely monitor this forum for feedback (see the guidelines - item 7) so it's important for anyone affected to raise a feature request formally through Squarespace Customer Support. Circle members can also upvote my request for this feature

Did this help? Please give feedback by clicking an icon below  ⬇️

Edited by paul2009

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

• 5 months later...

We also have this issue, and have been asking about it for a few years now. We got an email today stating website subscriptions were going up, which is fine, but the email notification for the adjustment is something we should have access to. Just being able to adjust for inflation, demand, expansion or a price hike should be available.

• 2 months later...

I understand the legacy aspect of it, therefore an email notification should be in place so that the customers would be informed of the price increase and choose to cancel their subscription if not in agreement with the price increase proposal. I think that's what Netflix did for example, right ? I can easily imagine that thousands of businesses like us and using squarespace, will have to increase the pricing of their loyal recurring customers to cope with the worldwide inflation phenomen. I hope the squarespace team is looking into this topic for a while now and that something will come up soon. I have just sent now an email to the support team, but it feels that I will just get the usual "we will pass it on to the team for future review" and nothing will happen... Thanks Paul anyhow for taking the time to reply to my question. Much appreciated. 

• 1 month later...

Is there a way to do this via Stripe somehow? It looks like whenever a customer creates a subscription via Squarespace, their payment details are viewable in the Stripe dashboard. It also looks like Stripe allows you to create subscriptions for all of those customers from within Stripe. So maybe there's a potential workaround? 

Edited by mickd
  • 2 months later...

Just catching up on this one... Listen, EVERYONE is increasing their prices right now due to inflation and I have not had to cancel and resubscribe to anything. Youtube, increased. Netflix, increased. Apple subscriptions, increased. SQUARESPACE subscription, increased... just to name a few... Funny how my business subscription with you can be increased with just an email notification, but I cannot do the same with my customers.

It is absolutely insanity that Squarespace doesn't allow this! Let us (the client) increase our product pricing, and when that happens, anyone who is recurring should get an email notifying them of the increase, which we can follow up with a change management communication to ensure churn is mitigated. Making our customers cancel their subscription and resubscribe so that we can get paid what the market prices are now is NOT a solution Squarespace. This has to be addressed. Immediately. There are a number of feature requests that have been submitted for this by me (The Little Flower Truck) as well as others, and you have yet to do anything about it. 

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

STRIPE does support changing existing subscription pricing

Changing subscriptions

Stripe supports changing existing subscriptions without having to cancel and recreate them. Some of the most significant changes you might make are upgrading or downgrading the subscription price, canceling, or pausing an active subscription. Learn more about how to modify existing subscriptions in the Change subscriptions page.

https://stripe.com/docs/billing/subscriptions/overview#build-your-own-handling-for-recurring-charge-failures

On 5/23/2023 at 8:01 AM, dianna1 said:

Stripe supports changing existing subscriptions without having to cancel and recreate them.

Although Stripe make this feature available on their platform, Squarespace does not currently support changing subscription pricing. Subscriptions that are managed through Squarespace commerce cannot be changed at the moment.

I appreciate this is not what anyone wants to hear, but I hope this saves you lots of time looking for a solution that doesn't currently exist within Squarespace. As I mentioned above, if you are a Squarespace user who needs this feature, please raise a feature request formally through Squarespace Customer Support. Circle members can also upvote my request for this feature

Did this help? Please give feedback by clicking an icon below  ⬇️

Edited by paul2009

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

• 4 months later...

hey folks,

i'm quite angry to find this out right . this still not has been resolved?

so correct me if i'm wrong: squarespace expects us the sellers to contact customers 1 by 1 to cancel their subscription and then re subscriber again to apply price increase? which world are you guys living in? this is bizarre!

we might  have to find ways to take legal actions against on this matter as it seems we will probably loose half of our subscribers / money if we ask them to cancel and resubscribe. 

terrible customer care and failed product service.

Edited by Ilker
  • 1 month later...

Absolutely crazy that an e-commerce site will not allow it's customers..(us) to increase our prices with inflation.

For us to post our product in January this year was £1.80..it then went up to £2.30 and it's now £2.70 ! so my postage costs have gone up £0.90 which I really need to pass on to our customers. 

I sent a group email out to all subscribers , about 100 telling them of planned price increase due to post and not one cancelled but then I find out I can't actually do it!! CRAZY..  they must think I'm mad. 

Told that I  need to ask my customers to cancel there subscription and re-apply and the new higher price...yeah right.

• 4 weeks later...