What happened to the "Gallery" block in 7.1?

Go to solution Solved by derricksrandomviews,

3 minutes ago, Stevens said:

I need the slideshow gallery and the new 7.1 site does not seem to have it.  How do I get it back?  Thanks!

It's gone, but you can get it back by this plugin

Squarespace Admin UI Tweaks (squarewebsites.org)

Note that gallery pages is no longer available, 

BeyondSpace - Squarespace Website Developer

🖼️ Lightbox Studio (Enable Pinch/Zoom on lightbox)
🗓️ Delivery Date Picker (Squarespace Date picker form field)
💫 Gallery block 7.1 workaround
🥳 Sparkplugin Customisations Browsers (Browse +100 Spark plugin customisations)
🥳 Elfsight Template Browsers (Browse +1000 Elfsight widget Templates)

If you find my answer useful, let's leave a like or upvote so others with the same issue can find their solution. Thank you!

8 hours ago, Stevens said:

Well that seems like a bunch of BS!

You still can use 7.0 templates

BeyondSpace - Squarespace Website Developer

🖼️ Lightbox Studio (Enable Pinch/Zoom on lightbox)
🗓️ Delivery Date Picker (Squarespace Date picker form field)
💫 Gallery block 7.1 workaround
🥳 Sparkplugin Customisations Browsers (Browse +100 Spark plugin customisations)
🥳 Elfsight Template Browsers (Browse +1000 Elfsight widget Templates)

If you find my answer useful, let's leave a like or upvote so others with the same issue can find their solution. Thank you!

• Solution

7.1 has three different types of slideshows. The automattic one is  is called the Reel. Next best thing to auto transition in 7.0. Create a gallery section, edit it and choose reel or one of the other slideshow choices.

Here:

https://support.squarespace.com/hc/en-us/articles/360035636332-Gallery-sections-in-version-7-1#toc-style-the-gallery

Edited by derricksrandomviews
  • 9 months later...
On 12/21/2020 at 4:20 PM, Stevens said:

Well that seems like a bunch of BS!

Came to thumbs up this. It's a total BS that they have removed gallery blocks, and now I have to pay for a stupid plug-in to have it back??? This is unreal...

If it wasn't for the trouble of moving sites, I would have left Squarespace! Dammed day I choose to sign up...

• 11 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, Dira said:

I am not seeing the gallery option either. This is really bad as it doesn't make sense to see that being removed. 

image.png

Screenshot 2022-11-05 at 13.06.45.png

See this https://support.squarespace.com/hc/en-us/articles/206543407-Gallery-blocks

It's not possible to add gallery blocks to any area with page sections, including:

• Layout pages
  • Collection landing pages (blog pages, events pages, portfolio pages, store pages)
  • Portfolio sub-pages
  • Footers

Email me if you have need any help (free, of course.). Answer within 24 hours. 
Or send to forum message

Contact Customer Care - Learn CSS - Buy me a coffee (thank you!)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi there, I landed here because I had the same issue. 

I headed back to the editor and found the gallery options:

- add "section"

- select "Images" and choose the one that already looks like a gallery 

- then go to "Edit section"

- there you can choose which "Gallery Type" you prefer

- if you activate "Options - Captions" you description text will appear

Happy New Year!

Screenshot 2023-01-05 at 11.16.10.png

Screenshot 2023-01-05 at 11.16.22.png

Screenshot 2023-01-05 at 11.16.30.png

Screenshot 2023-01-05 at 11.16.35.png

Screenshot 2023-01-05 at 11.19.37.png

• 5 weeks later...

I just ran into this with my client's site, however this was AFTER I tested it out with MY 7.1 site, and it worked!???!

I have version 7.1 and can add a gallery block. Both sites I'm testing this out on regular blank pages. WTF!? Why can I do it? What am I missing??

Screen Shot 2023-02-04 at 4.36.59 PM.png

Screen Shot 2023-02-04 at 4.37.17 PM.png

On 2/4/2023 at 4:41 PM, mallorycs said:

Why can I do it? What am I missing??

You can use Gallery blocks because you are a Circle member. There is a whole history on how this came about that you can find on the forum if you want to do research.

Find my contributions useful? Please like, upvote, mark my answer as the best ( solution ), and see my profile. Thanks for your support! I am a Squarespace ( and other technological things ) consultant open for new projects.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
On 2/6/2023 at 6:30 PM, creedon said:

You can use Gallery blocks because you are a Circle member. There is a whole history on how this came about that you can find on the forum if you want to do research.

Yeah let me just pay for three websites so i can have the full functionality for one, that makes sense! 

• 2 months later...

I created an account simply to voice my intense displeasure here. It is so outrageous that they removed this very basic and vital feature. I need to have several images on my block. So, so, so insane that you cannot do that. 

I feel like we moved back 15 years. This was easy even just a few years ago. 

I guess I need to subscribe X3 websites to try to become a circle member just so I can add a carousel block? 

SMH

15 hours ago, dval29 said:

I created an account simply to voice my intense displeasure here. It is so outrageous that they removed this very basic and vital feature. I need to have several images on my block. So, so, so insane that you cannot do that. 

I feel like we moved back 15 years. This was easy even just a few years ago. 

I guess I need to subscribe X3 websites to try to become a circle member just so I can add a carousel block? 

SMH

You can ask a Circle Member add this for you. If you need you can message me & invite me as a contributor & let me know which page you want to add gallery block, I can add it for you.

Or you can consider using Gallery Section, List Section, they have similar feature

Email me if you have need any help (free, of course.). Answer within 24 hours. 
Or send to forum message

Contact Customer Care - Learn CSS - Buy me a coffee (thank you!)

I have built a number of Squarespace sites for clients over the years. I have recently been astonished at what cannot be done in SqSp 7.1. Some pretty fundamental things such as recoloring the button in the header, resizing the menu font on mobile, and having a gallery block, require manual CSS!  Unbelievable! In future, unless a client is absolutely wedded to SqSp, I shall be recommending alternative platforms. Sorry, guys. 

Edited by alexwent

Like everyone else on this thread, I'm astounded that Squarespace removed the gallery option for displaying photos in 7.1.  Because of this, I'll stop recommending SquareSpace to colleagues and friends, until we hear from the developers that they've brought this crucial feature back.   

THank you to all how explained the situation above. I spent quite a bit of time poking around assuming I was missing something. 

--Beth

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/22/2023 at 11:00 AM, tuanphan said:

You can ask a Circle Member add this for you. If you need you can message me & invite me as a contributor & let me know which page you want to add gallery block, I can add it for you.

Or you can consider using Gallery Section, List Section, they have similar feature

Hi Tuanphan,

Would you be able to do this for me? I wanted to replace the home page block image with a gallery - so that I can then add + use the 'before and after image slider' on it. 

Many thanks

Didier