images just disappear!?

Total Newbie here so apologies if this has been covered.

I have uploaded a logo to my header and added some text content. My website is not yet published but random images are starting to disappear and the link is broken to the image. Some of the images are the default ones you have in the templates. And also the logo I uploaded to the header, that was displaying correctly a few days ago.

Any idea why this would be? Is it a bug or expected?

• Replies 40
  • Views 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We've been experiencing spontaneous deletion of images since March. Squarespace claims to be aware of this and that it's a widespread issue. We just discovered that images from blog posts going back three months have suddenly disappeared.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Yep, same issue here. Part of our images we have uploaded to the custom code section keeps disappearing, not loading, or keep displaying errors. I would actually believe Squarespace team when they suspected my images are faulty, but after a while, more images stopped loading, when the previous ones were back online again.. Good to know I'm not alone with this issue.

We have also been having this issue. It's incredibly frustrating as this is deemed "outside" of the scope for Squarespace to deal with despite it being a function that they have ON their site. 

Our images keep malfunctioning yet there doesn't seem to be any real reason as to why it's not working, nor can we figure out what the BEST way to export images are. This is such a frustrating issue to deal with and it looks so poorly with our clients. 

• 1 month later...

I'm also experiencing this issue, with one particular cover image for one of my portfolio pieces. It stays for a while, but then later I come back and it's empty. When looking at my portfolio pages, it shows no image has even been uploaded - even though it's been uploaded multiple times already. Don't really understand why it disappears after some time.

I've been experiencing this all weekend. First I thought it was because I was in Safari, so I switched to Chrome. Same issue. I suspected that maybe be files were too large so I shrunk them. Nope. Maybe had weird characters in the name so I renamed them. Nope.

One particular image in the Portfolio block has disappeared countless times since yesterday. And in "Settings" there's no indication that there ever was a photo.

Elsewhere I've had Image blocks go blank, background images go blank, and video blocks spontaneously refuse to load, and custom thumbnails disappear. When I open settings it says something like "asset cannot be found."

I have also been experiencing images going missing. At one point I thought there was something wrong with the images I was uploading. I, too, wondered that perhaps the images size were too large, so I compressed them. This still did not solve the problem, and I have continued to experienced images disappearing —even images that Squarespace has as placeholders disappear sporadically.

I just spent a couple of weeks rebuilding my wordpress website on SS, and am currently reuploading my blog galleries. I'm a wedding photographer so my images need to work. I can't upload a gallery without half of them not displaying properly, showing blank spots, or broken links. It seems like if you make any design adjustment after uploading it just creates chaos. 

This is an absolute deal breaker for me. I can't even proceed with the rebuild let alone commit to the platform if this is an issue. Has anyone had any response from Squarespace?

I have the same issue with disappearing portfolio thumbnails. I received this from SS Customer Care in October:

"After digging into this further for you, I can confirm this is related to an issue with Portfolio Page thumbnails on our end. We’ve reported this to our Engineering team, and they’re currently prioritizing the issue.

Please keep in mind that there are many moving parts we need to address before we roll out a solution. We thoroughly test all fixes before they’re released to ensure they don’t affect other Squarespace components or customers."

The problem disappeared for several days but it is now back.

On 6/11/2020 at 9:56 AM, derricksrandomviews said:

When did you upload? A couple of days ago?  There was some connectivity issues and HTML errors for awhile which made some things go away. It was fixed in just a few hours. Should be okay now for you to add any content. 

Thanks, derricksrandomviews. This continues to happen. I thought it was isolated to galleries so I rebuilt the content using pages and links, etc. and now non-gallery images have gone missing. 

Any insight is greatly appreciated.

my images in image blocks are disappearing as well.  sometimes it seems random, but it is almost always happening after moving the block to another section on the same page.  Using 7.1. I am building an online portfolio, so this is the most important part of my site.  Help?

Archived