How do I sync my inventory if any of my product variants are purchased?

Go to solution Solved by paul2009,

Site URL: https://guppy-lychee-gsyb.squarespace.com/

Heya!

I'm working on an art website, and the client basically wants to offer an original artwork (only 1 in stock) but with framing options. If framing is selected, price should change. I tried adding an option and creating two variants of the product, but then when I was test purchasing the product, I noticed the variant I have purchased was sold out, but the other variant was still in stock. Obviously both should go out of stock in my case. Is there any way to do this?

Please do let me know if there's any other information you need me to supply you with. Otherwise, the site i'm working on is mentioned in the post.

Cheers and thanks in advance,

Ahmed R

• 1 month later...

I'm also looking for a better answer to this. I'm building a website for my mom to sell her jewelry, and for her necklaces, the chains are an add-on that you can buy along with her pendants. What I ended up doing was creating a separate, unlisted product for each chain and linked to it from the appropriate pendant page (saying "this listing is for the pendant only - if you'd also like the chain, click here" and having that take you to a listing for the chain only, but pictured with the pendant again as the chains are curated to each pendant). It's not ideal but it's better than accidentally selling two of a one-of-a-kind pendant or listing the relatively inexpensive chain alongside the expensive pendant and having the listing show the lower price.

I'm definitely interested if anyone has a more streamlined way, to include an 'add-on' type lower priced item directly in the listing without the listing showing the price of that lower item as a "priced from ___" on the main page.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

As a noob to squarespace this seems like one of the most significant issues traders need to be able to tackle.

I'm setting up a bakery and we have soup meal deals, we have 12 portions available and want to offer a choice of scones to accompany them, I can set the number for soup to 12 if i sell it alone, and i can set 12 for sale with each scone if i set up variants, but as we have 4 variations that then suggests that we have 48 portions available which we dont, we have 12 with any of the above.

I need to be able to sell 12 portions with whatever scone people pick, and when 12 portions of soup have been sold it's no longer available...

I can't work out why such a trivial request is impossible, or am I overlooking something...!?

Can i get plugins to help or code this?

Surely there must be a way as it's such a simple request applicable for most businesses...!?

7 hours ago, cloudhousebakery said:

As a noob to squarespace this seems like one of the most significant issues traders need to be able to tackle.

I'm setting up a bakery and we have soup meal deals, we have 12 portions available and want to offer a choice of scones to accompany them, I can set the number for soup to 12 if i sell it alone, and i can set 12 for sale with each scone if i set up variants, but as we have 4 variations that then suggests that we have 48 portions available which we dont, we have 12 with any of the above.

I need to be able to sell 12 portions with whatever scone people pick, and when 12 portions of soup have been sold it's no longer available...

I can't work out why such a trivial request is impossible, or am I overlooking something...!?

Can i get plugins to help or code this?

Surely there must be a way as it's such a simple request applicable for most businesses...!?

I think we have to tackle Squarespace API for this request, whenever an order place, it would update the product variant's stock value.

For fetching the recent change orders

Retrieve all orders — Squarespace Developers

Then adjust the stock quantity using inventory

Adjust stock quantities — Squarespace Developers

BeyondSpace - Squarespace Website Developer

🖼️ Lightbox Studio (Enable Pinch/Zoom on lightbox)
🗓️ Delivery Date Picker (Squarespace Date picker form field)
💫 Gallery block 7.1 workaround
🥳 Sparkplugin Customisations Browsers (Browse +100 Spark plugin customisations)
🥳 Elfsight Template Browsers (Browse +1000 Elfsight widget Templates)

If you find my answer useful, let's leave a like or upvote so others with the same issue can find their solution. Thank you!

On 3/6/2021 at 7:56 PM, bangank36 said:

I think we have to tackle Squarespace API for this request, whenever an order place, it would update the product variant's stock value.

For fetching the recent change orders

Retrieve all orders — Squarespace Developers

Then adjust the stock quantity using inventory

Adjust stock quantities — Squarespace Developers

Thanks, I'm new to squarespace so will look into the api side of things! Appreciate the feedback though, thanks again.

• 5 weeks later...

Just chiming in to say I and my clients are frustrated by this limitation as well. It seems Squarespace needs "add ons" in addition to product variants.

My current use case is a summer camp with 12 enrollment slots per week with optional extended care. I've set each week up as a service product. I can't create a separate product called "extended care" as non-campers could purchase it, or parents purchase it for the incorrect week of camp.

• Solution

Squarespace cannot do this by itself, but there’s a Squarespace extension called Trunk Inventory that takes care of it. It’s not cheap though (from $29 per month).

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

9 hours ago, SShepherd said:

My current use case is a summer camp with 12 enrollment slots per week with optional extended care. I've set each week up as a service product. I can't create a separate product called "extended care" as non-campers could purchase it, or parents purchase it for the incorrect week of camp.

The workaround I would suggest is to add a separate service product called “extended care” - without variants. However, you’ve said you can’t do this. Can you explain why? Without seeing the site in progress, it’s difficult to understand the context.

If it were me, I’d add the extended care product without variants, as the variant details (the dates) will already have been captured with the slot. 

If the cost of extended care is lower than enrolment, you can also set a minimum cart value to prevent someone purchasing it without a slot.

There are other things you could do to improve the user experience, for example showing a popup after someone adds a slot to their cart, asking “do you want to add extended care?” although this will require some code. You could also hide the care package from the products page. 

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

• 7 months later...

Another member just shared this topic and thought I'd chime in.

One option is to:

1. Create a separate product and hide it from public view called "Framing Service" with unlimited quantity
  2. Purchase the "Lightbox Anything" plugin (Affiliate Link) from SQSPThemes
  3. Use their "Upsell Lightbox" snippet
  4. Create an "Upsell" page for the lightbox
  5. Set it to ONLY show on those specific products that require it
  6. Add a note saying "You will be offered the option to add framing when you click 'Add to Cart'" or something similar to the product description

Voila. You now have an option to purchase the service at an extra cost without the inventory clash.

Work With Me 🖥️💻📱

Please remember to tag me so that I get a notification and respond to your help requests.

If my answers have helped you, please drop a like and mark my answer as best to help other users find solutions quickly.

You can also thank me or make requests by buying me a coffee . (Caffeine fuels me to take more requests)

For Squarespace Tips & Tricks, visit @squareskills (Youtube 📺 Tutorials)

For Premium and FREE plugins, visit Squareskills (Plugin Store) 🧩

Some links may be affiliate/referral links.