SEO Expert AMA: Matt Callahan

Hey everyone! This month, we are excited to have Matt Callahan, founder and CEO of Delphi and Squarespace Expert in the Marketplace, answer your biggest questions about SEO. Delphi is a strategic marketing and design agency headquartered in NYC. They offer a full suite of design and marketing services, while specializing in Squarespace website development and SEO.

SEO (search engine optimization) is the process of making your site better for search engines, so that when people search for products or information that you offer, your website is more likely to appear in their search results. Optimizing your site for SEO could mean more site traffic, and potentially increased revenue. 

There are a lot of SEO tactics and tools, and the best practices are constantly changing, which is why Matt is here to answer any questions people in the Squarespace community have about optimizing their site’s SEO. 

Please reply to this topic with any questions you have by Monday April 6th, 8pm EDT! If you see any questions you want to see answered, simply like the question. Matt will answer the top 10 most liked questions.

Hi Matt

I use SEMRUSH (https://www.semrush.com/) to co-ordinate SEO activity for a number of Squarespace sites I maintain.

When I run the SEMRUSH site audit tool, I notice the same warning coming up regarding Squarespace using uncompressed JavaScript and CSS files.

Do you think this is a "real" issue and if so.....is it something I can fix?

Thanks 

Damian

What's your best advice for keyword research without investing in one of the expensive tools?

christyprice.com  🇺🇸 Austin, TX US 

Get my 100+ item Client Process Checklist for $17.
📔 Flourish Journal for Creative Entrepreneurs - 365 days of prompts
🎥 Watch Circle Live: Hello Income (feat. Christy Price and Jeremy Schwartz)
🎬 Watch It's Not Hard to Say Goodbye: Crafting Client Offboarding from Circle Day 2023

What's the best way to optimize images? Keeping file sizes down and adding descriptive text with keywords to the captions? I've read that we should use caption text as image alt text but what about for templates that display image captions but you don't want it displayed so leave it blank? 

What prompted you to build your new site on Webflow versus Squarespace? And what differences in search performance have you seen as compared to your older site?

Have SEO questions? Chances are we've written about it! Try a quick Google search to find our advice. Or for personalized support, see our consulting and training sessions.  Official Squarespace Experts since 2014 

Is SEO dead with the continued move to mobile and establishment of Amazon as a primary  search engine and Facebook etc. as primary platforms on the web ? What types of searches; informational, comparison, transactional, and so on, should we be optimizing our site for - what part of the searchers journey should we target to optimize our investment in SEO ? Can you share your definition of SEO and your model for its Return on Investment and compare this to an investment in paid search? Perhaps, you can touch on site design for SEO and Paid Search - how should we consider landing pages? Do you conduct a Site SEO Audit for clients, how do you approach new clients, what information do you look at in Squarespace and what tools do you recommend?

- Sorry, several questions there. Thank you! - John

Edited by JOHNMD

mcgouran.john@gmail.com