Where 'Use Existing Gallery' in 7.1?

Hi there,

I'm building a website in Squarespace 7.1 and I want to know if anyone has an answer for this. I'm looking to add a Gallery Block, and you're faced with two tabs, 'Upload Media' and 'Use Existing Gallery'. When I click on 'Use Existing Gallery', it says 'There are no collections'.

How do I make a gallery collection so that it shows up when I try to add a Gallery Block?

Thanks in advance

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Same issues here! I can't choose from any existing galleries/collections. I tried setting up a blog page, product page & gallery section with images but nothing shows up on the "Use Existing Gallery" tab. Was anyone able to figure it out?

@tuanphan thanks for posting link to the Gallery Blocks guide. This guide says you can display content from a Gallery page, but in 7.1 there's only Gallery Sections. Does that mean it's not possible to add images using an existing gallery or collection?

Any help would be appreciated!

• 1 month later...
On 8/21/2020 at 3:57 AM, sundaykindoflove said:

Same issues here! I can't choose from any existing galleries/collections. I tried setting up a blog page, product page & gallery section with images but nothing shows up on the "Use Existing Gallery" tab. Was anyone able to figure it out?

@tuanphan thanks for posting link to the Gallery Blocks guide. This guide says you can display content from a Gallery page, but in 7.1 there's only Gallery Sections. Does that mean it's not possible to add images using an existing gallery or collection?

Any help would be appreciated!

If you edit the gallery block you will see a little plus "+" sign on the bottom right hand corner. Click the "+" sign and you will get three options. One is "search images." Click to search images, then select the tab called "imported" and you will have access to your whole imported library.  

Screenshot 2020-09-27 at 15.43.48.png

Screenshot 2020-09-27 at 15.43.55.png

Screenshot 2020-09-27 at 15.44.25.png

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 3/31/2021 at 6:52 PM, jdillagodzilla said:

Wow, super annoying that you can't add a preexisting gallery and the + search option only lets you select one image at a time.

Posting so I can follow the thread. 

SS bring back Gallery Block in 7.1

Email me if you have need any help (free, of course.). Answer within 24 hours. 
Or send to forum message

Contact Customer Care - Learn CSS - Buy me a coffee (thank you!)

16 hours ago, FrankPrendergast said:

I just got off the phone from support and they advised me not to use the gallery block, as it wasn't an intentional release apparently 😞 

I think it's gone for good :(, in the mean time I created a snippet that can replace the gallery section to code block, make it work as gallery block. Check the detail steps here, it's free to use

Bring Gallery Block for 7.1 - Coding and Customization - Squarespace Forum

BeyondSpace - Squarespace Website Developer

🖼️ Lightbox Studio (Enable Pinch/Zoom on lightbox)
🗓️ Delivery Date Picker (Squarespace Date picker form field)
💫 Gallery block 7.1 workaround
🥳 Sparkplugin Customisations Browsers (Browse +100 Spark plugin customisations)
🥳 Elfsight Template Browsers (Browse +1000 Elfsight widget Templates)

If you find my answer useful, let's leave a like or upvote so others with the same issue can find their solution. Thank you!

• 8 months later...
On 1/8/2022 at 8:14 PM, Chickenfoot said:

Coming here to also say that I desperately want this feature back in 7.1

Squarespace provided a solution 1-2 months ago (Please check in Circle Forum to see detail)

Email me if you have need any help (free, of course.). Answer within 24 hours. 
Or send to forum message

Contact Customer Care - Learn CSS - Buy me a coffee (thank you!)

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/9/2020 at 4:00 AM, tuanphan said:

The problem is that guide isn't helpful at all in that there are still *zero* collections available to pull from, images can only be loaded one at a time, and there's no way to fully optimize gallery images for SEO like we could/can in 7.0.

I've tried @bangank36/'s workaround but can't get it to work or don't understand what it's supposed to do. I've reached out to him, he said it's installed correctly, but it changes nothing that I can see? Waiting to hear back from him.

What on earth is SQSP thinking removing this feature. I have 2 projects with gallery heavy content to develop and this has set back production — by a lot.

So frustrating! Help? Anyone?

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 5 months later...

I agree, I hate that this feature is no longer, in fact I hate the entire back end of 7.1.  Client's can't figure it out, it takes twice as long to do anything, and I don't understand why they went and messed up such a nice platform.  Ton's of sites built on the old version, I was able to create them much faster, and therefore SS was my go-to.  Now??  I am not sure if I will keep using it for new sites.

Edited by 315designs