Site Search is broken in 7.1

Go to solution Solved by paul2009,

On 7/25/2022 at 6:42 AM, chumbit said:

Hello! I tried Google search engine and it will  solve my problemas thanks! We are planning in using it.

However, we would like to use it through the search bar that we in place, instead of google, do you know if its possible? (http://www.chumbo.org)

Thanks in advance.

Catarina

Hi Caterina, I just checked out your site. How did you go about doing this? I need to do this too. You're help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

On 8/2/2022 at 1:58 AM, BriGuy said:

Hi Caterina, I just checked out your site. How did you go about doing this? I need to do this too. You're help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I see she used Search Block in Footer, and this code to Design > Custom CSS to move search block position to top right of site

#block-yui_3_17_2_1_1647427323829_6501 {
    position: fixed;
    width: 200px;
    right: 20px;
    z-index: 10
}

Email me if you have need any help (free, of course.). Answer within 24 hours. 
Or send to forum message

Contact Customer Care - Learn CSS - Buy me a coffee (thank you!)

On 8/3/2022 at 5:58 AM, tuanphan said:

I see she used Search Block in Footer, and this code to Design > Custom CSS to move search block position to top right of site

#block-yui_3_17_2_1_1647427323829_6501 {
    position: fixed;
    width: 200px;
    right: 20px;
    z-index: 10
}

That search is just a custom search bar we did, the problem is it renders the results of squarespace. The improvement is only aesthetic. I would love to use this custom search bar - rendering the google search engine results! That would be awesome!  Any thoughts? I'm looking for professional help also, no luck so far.

On 8/4/2022 at 7:03 PM, chumbit said:

That search is just a custom search bar we did, the problem is it renders the results of squarespace. The improvement is only aesthetic. I would love to use this custom search bar - rendering the google search engine results! That would be awesome!  Any thoughts? I'm looking for professional help also, no luck so far.

You can use Google Custom Search, just signup an account > Get GCS code > Paste to your site

https://cse.google.com/cse/all

Or send to forum message

On 8/10/2022 at 7:10 PM, The-Design-Order said:

I am no coder however and am wondering if there is any way to remove the paid ads from the top of the interface? I am guessing no?

Are you using a free service? Then I'd say no. If you are using a paid service then you should not have to put up with ads.

Edited by creedon

Find my contributions useful? Please like, upvote, mark my answer as the best ( solution ), and see my profile. Thanks for your support! I am a Squarespace ( and other technological things ) consultant open for new projects.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

After placing the searchbar and making sure it worked we started working on the rest of the site.
We didn't really look at the searchbar after starting with the rest, now when trying it again it doesn't work anymore.

We added some code in the mean time and I think something went wrong there.
When you refresh the page and quickly search something it does work.

I think something is blocking it after the site fully is fully loaded.
Can someone please look at it I can't find it.

Password: Welkom1234
URL: https://hippysip.squarespace.com/

Edited by HippySip
12 hours ago, HippySip said:

After placing the searchbar and making sure it worked we started working on the rest of the site.
We didn't really look at the searchbar after starting with the rest, now when trying it again it doesn't work anymore.

We added some code in the mean time and I think something went wrong there.
When you refresh the page and quickly search something it does work.

I think something is blocking it after the site fully is fully loaded.
Can someone please look at it I can't find it.

Password: Welkom1234
URL: https://hippysip.squarespace.com/

Hi,

It looks fine to me

image.thumb.png.d7c62120982a6594e570253ba4dd1214.png

Or send to forum message

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

I am having trouble with the search bar on my Squarespace websites (https://www.al.org.au/ and https://www.ban1080.org.au/). They continue to say "Your search did not match any documents." or "no results found", or only display limited results, despite using key words that appear all over the site. 

How can I fix this issue, as we would definitely be losing people who are interested in our content.

Thank you,

Nadia

• 1 month later...

@paul2009, do you know how to use SwifType’s User Agent to index Member Areas? The “Pro” plan offers the advanced feature of being able to index content behind a firewall but there is no instruction as to how to set up their User Agent to pass through a Member Areas paywall. I reached out to SwifType support and they didn’t have any idea what’s supposed to happen at a SquareSpace Member Area site. 

5 hours ago, Tiernan said:

do you know how to use SwifType’s User Agent to index Member Areas?

It is not currently possible to do this (because you cannot modify access to these areas for the account specific user agent string).

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

• 4 weeks later...

Search functionality - its not a difficult concept so why is square space so lagging in solutions. I don't want to add custom code to make a simple search function work. That's why I use this type of web builder.  If I wanted to add in custom code I'd use word press like ever other sensible person.

I am happy to add tags or categories if this will fix the solution but nothing does.  Even more frustrating is that the search function will bring up results from entries that are over two years old but not for new entries.  i.e. if i type in "Jazz artists" -I do not get any of the new jazz artists who have joined my agency (and there have been over 100) - even though the word "jazz" appears in their listing and the tags and categories assigned to them include the words "jazz" .  The only artists I get are the ones from two years ago.  

Squarespace you have an obligation to your paying customers to make the simple basic requirements of a system work - and that includes a search function

Search functionality - its not a difficult concept so why is square space so lagging in solutions. I don't want to add custom code (or use google imbedded in my site somehow - tried it , didn't work) to make a simple search function work. That's why I use this type of web builder.  If I wanted to add in custom code I'd use word press like ever other sensible person. 

I am happy to add tags or categories if this will fix the solution but nothing does.  Even more frustrating is that the search function will bring up results from entries that are over two years old but not for new entries.  i.e. if i type in "Jazz artists" -I do not get any of the new jazz artists who have joined my agency (and there have been over 100) - even though the word "jazz" appears in their listing and the tags and categories assigned to them include the words "jazz" .  The only artists I get are the ones from two years ago.  

Squarespace you have an obligation to your paying customers to make the simple basic requirements of a system work - and that includes a search function.  Solve this

• 3 weeks later...

I am so frustrated by SquareSpace's built-in search functionality on our website (https://www.stresslesscamping.com). When we click on the search icon and put in terms that I know are on the site sometimes it returns no results, sometimes it returns only partial results. 

The majority of the time I have to click the icon, search for content, there will literally be NO results, then I try again and that's when it shows the results even with the same words. 

Our site gets a lot of traffic in our space and people search out various relevant terms and leave frustrated. This is enough to make me consider changing site providers. Is there an update/change I can implement?

I do also have a custom Google search on the site but it's much lower on the page, however it works every time. But the search button is very convenient at the top of the page. I wouldn't mind if I could change the little icon at the top to go to the Google search if that were possible instead.

But, seriously, we live in the world of search. I hope SquareSpace does something to enable their search function to actually work. Many of our site's visitors have told me that they have this issue and it really is affecting our income for people not being able to find things that are there. 

Thanks for any input and tips. 

Tony Barthel
Nerds4Normals