Food Items and Sales Tax

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just spoke with someone on chat (very good experience, by the way) and this is still not possible. The whole point of providing the ability to capture taxes separately is to make my job easier when filing with my state's taxation department. If I have to figure out which items were incorrectly priced due to non-taxability, I've lost that convenience and I might as well *not* separate taxes from my product prices.

Please, developers, add this feature. Wix + Weebly handles this properly! A simple checkbox on each product would suffice.

I have to admit that I'm amazed this site/product/store is as popular as it is without this feature - it really made me think I was missing something. But nope.

I hope this gets resolved so I can switch to SquareSpace from a competitor - I like the looks!

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Linking this thread to another similar thread here:

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I feel this is a vital option for an e-commerce type store. This puts a huge difference between following appropriate tax laws and ensuring your customers paying what they are supposed to be paying. Wish this was an option now, but I haven't seen it being one yet.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 5/28/2020 at 10:18 PM, magnusmoon said:

I am having the same issue with taxes in MA. Clothing under a certain amount is not taxable, but other items in the store are. An option to make an item tax exempt would do the trick. Hoping this changes soon. Please keep us posted!

So curious....So WHAT is the solution???  Do you apply 6.25 to everything and give people tax refunds, not apply taxes, or remove those items require tax in MA?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

HEY THERE SQUARESPACE and the award winning 24/7 customer service!!

Such a simple fix on your end - What are you waiting for? Surely you're making enough money to put somebody on this project. Add a tax override for specific items. How long could that take? Can't you imagine that many of your users are selling many items, some of which may not fall under the blanket of needing to be taxed like all others? These small things add up to people wanting to migrate platforms.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi, I am encountering a huge limitation with Squarespace as it does not seem to be possible to add different tax rates depending on product or product category.

In Germany, food and books are taxed with 7%, everything else is taxed with 19%. But Squarespace only gives me one fixed tax rate. (Which means I am losing 12% of my sales in the above mentioned categories.)

Huge bummer, as this makes the platform incompatible with the German market.

Is there any way to work around this? Or is Squarespace planning to fix this?

Edited by ChristinaMaria
spelling

watching here - I'm having a similar problem. Client site, legislation states some classes are taxable, others aren't. So, we have to work out which products stay live, and which ones need to come down! Crazy approach. Can tax rate be a selection on Product Page, like Forms?