Food Items and Sales Tax

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Just went through this for a clients e-commerce site and wanted to share the solution I was directed to in case anyone was unaware of the updates. Squarespace now partners with TaxJar which automatically calculates your taxes for you and you get to have a free account on TaxJar if you join it through your Squarespace.

We set her state to Massachusetts as she also has a store front there. This automatically calculates all taxes for us based upon MA rules. Then within Squarespace, if you go to each product under organization you can assign a tax category to items that may need to be taxed differently in your state... for us this was clothing which needs to be 0%. So all her clothing will have this tax category selected so that these items are not taxed, and all other products I leave it blank so they are taxed at the 6.25% rate. More on it here under Step 3.

• 2 months later...

Solution! If you have a Squarespace Commerce plan, you can set up the free TaxJar extension. This is now calculating State and County taxes for our products, and it allows us to add a tax category on individual products that should not have taxes!  In our case we are using tax category 'General Service' for non-taxable products, and we did not enter a category for any other products.  We have all of our products set up as Service products so our customers don't see any shipping options, as all of our products are picked up in our studio.

For taxable service products, it is not using the billing address of the customer to calculate tax, but seems to be using the Business Address set up in Squarespace Business Information. It does not seem to be using the address set up in Tax Jar Profile either (That won't even let me enter our zip code for some reason!)

This is working perfectly for us!

We did have the option to tax Service Products set up when we were doing manual taxes. I don't know if this still needs to be set for TaxJar.  I just left the manual settings alone after setting up Tax Jar.

One kind of weird thing is that on the customer confirmation email, the tax is just shown as 'Tax' like it did when we were doing manual tax. But on the 'New Order' email to the business, it is broken down by State and County taxes.  It also has these columns when you download order information from Squarespace.

• 11 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Submitted a ticket for this feature. Hope everyone else has done the same.

We sell plants that are exempt from taxes but we need to charge taxes on the shipping. Disappointing this doesn't exist as a feature.

If you're reading this and are unhappy, please take a moment to submit a ticket. Thanks so much.