Default Shipping Country Causing Confusion at Checkout and Abandoned Carts!

Our customers are from the UK and USA (mainly) but we do ship orders internationally. I have set up shipping options for UK, USA, Europe and rest of the world so that the correct shipping options appear at check out. All works perfectly. However we have received feedback from potential customers that they have abandoned their cart because the shipping options default to the UK (as set in our default as we are UK based) and its not obvious to them that this will change if they update the country when filling out the address. 

Is there a way of making this more obvious to customers at checkout? I have been all through the shipping, cart and checkout settings and cant see anything obvious. I would have put a banner across the page but I cant seem to edit the checkout page at all (which makes sense but I am at a loss as to what I can do). 

• 3 weeks later...

I have the same problem. We also ship internationally and I have added these different options on Squarespace, but on display and what costumers see is 'Spain' and it isn't obvious that we ship elsewhere until they type their address to a different country. I have tried all ways of changing this but i don't see how I can. Is there a solution to this? 

Screenshot 2024-01-28 at 10.00.03.png

I feel your pain. Sadly, this is not something you can fix.

Merchants selling in just one country can set the default checkout country so the correct delivery/shipping options appear from the get go. However, if you're selling internationally, it's a sad fact that your (totally inaccurate*) shipping options will be shown before your customer has even entered a country, let alone a valid address!

*Shipping costs will be inaccurate because they'll be shown for the default country, not the customer's country.

On Squarespace we can normally write code to workaround issues like this but, as shipping is determined on the checkout page, this isn't possible. Squarespace have totally "locked down" the checkout page to ensure payment security.

I've been advocating (for some time!) for the checkout page to ask for the delivery address BEFORE suggesting any shipping options/costs.

Instead of the current checkout (left), I would like to see something that's a little more like this (right):

image.thumb.png.86a4e0295eff520d57d8476c3601ad3a.png      image.thumb.png.e14095c578f854e477bac6a0a95774c2.png

Squarespace doesn’t use this forum to track demand for new features or to accept feature requests so, to make a feature request and ensure it is seen by the right people at Squarespace, you are encouraged to do so by raising a ticket through Squarespace Customer Support. (Alternatively, Squarespace Circle members can vote here.) 

Did this help? Please give feedback by clicking an icon below  ⬇️

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.