Blog post categories not saving

Go to solution Solved by paul2009,

Site URL: https://accountingheart.com.au

Client has a blog which doesn't currently have categories.  Trying to set up a category master list so that they can go into each post and select categories to assign to.  

When I go into blog settings and Advanced, Manage Categories, it says To manage categories, add them to posts in this blog first.

So I go into a post, then add in all categories, save, but then can still not add to master list per above.

In some posts cannot save categories at all to individual posts.

Feels like a bug somewhere?

Categories are created in a post not in the advance/manage categories field. You can edit them or delete them from there only. You can add a post in a blog or edit one, down where it says categories click on that then create as many cats as you want. Hit enter after you type in each one. Then they will show up in the category list and in the  advanced manage categories field. You don't have to save the post or changes to a post for the categories to be saved. 

To add categories to 7.1 edit a post by clicking on the tree dots, choose settings, then options, then categories and add one by typing in the add categories here field, then hit enter. The manage categories is in blog page settings advanced manage categories. You can delete or edit there as well. 

Edited by derricksrandomviews
  • 3 months later...
41 minutes ago, alycia.wicker said:

I followed the instructions and it is still not saving the category.

image.png.cfff991f0ce4509cfac6645402825621.png

If you are using Squarespace 7.1 and have created a blog post, you should be able to:

1. Click the three dots and then SETTINGS to reach the settings panel
  2. Click Options
  3. Click Categories 
  4. Type your preferred category name
  5. Click SAVE

image.gif.5f32bdafcb3aace07d69612875a09fca.gif

When you refresh the post in your browser, you should see the categories. 

I am not seeing any issues today so if the image above is not what you see then I recommend you contact Squarespace Customer Care directly.

Was this post helpful? Please give feedback by clicking an icon below  ⬇️

Edited by paul2009

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

• Solution
9 hours ago, DhoogeMeganck said:

When I closed the window, the checkboxes return to empty... ?

If one or more categories are shown in the list then the blog post is already categorised. For example, the screenshot below shows a post that is in the "News" category.

You do not need to check any of the checkboxes beside the category names. The checkboxes are there to allow you to select several categories for deletion.

image.thumb.png.3e115bcf50d70df0dfb277f12a2d8553.png

Was this post helpful? Please give feedback by clicking an icon below  ⬇️

Edited by paul2009

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

• 3 months later...
18 minutes ago, alycia.wicker said:

No, and I didn't contact support. I've been using the tagging system instead of categories to get around it. 

Ahh, got it. I contacted support just now and they verified the problem and were unable to help via chat. They are going to email me with additional information/help. They know it's an issue. I'd suggest hitting them up. It was quick for me.

26 minutes ago, jenkinh said:

Ahh, got it. I contacted support just now and they verified the problem and were unable to help via chat. They are going to email me with additional information/help. They know it's an issue. I'd suggest hitting them up. It was quick for me.

Great! I hope they find a solution. Keep us posted and I'll make a note to reach out to them, too.

• 4 months later...

I saw this forum after having the same issue. Has anyone found a solution? I type in a category, but the save button never appears so the category that I type doesn't remain or isn't saved. I think there is a glitch with the save button. I can add Tags either. Same issue.

• 1 month later...

I chatted with Squarespace help, and they advised attempting to save the category for a blog post in an incognito window. When that didn't work, they advised clearing my browser's cache. I didn't want to do that, because I like being able to login to my favorite websites and revisit pages quickly. So the only solution I found was to duplicate my blog post which the category was working on and add my new content to that. I do believe this is an issue that Squarespace needs to investigate further. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Figured this out!!!!  You do not check the box for the categories you want the blog post to be in.  If you see the category in the list then it is in that category.  the check box is only for deleted a category for that particular post.