Sitemap Issue

Hi all. I just reported an error to SS with sitemaps. It wasn't clear how they will handle regenerations after the fix, so I'm letting everyone know in case you're impacted. It looks like the issue started around mid-May 2021. New images have been added as <image:title>Image Name - Make it stand out</image:title> and if no caption was specified <image:caption>Whatever it is, the way you tell your story online can make all the difference.</image:caption>. 

This is on 7.0 and 7.1 sites. After the fix, I hope they automatically regenerate a sitemap for all impacted sites. But if not, and you (or clients) don't update often, then you'd need to keep an eye out for the fix and request a regen. If you update frequently, then it is a nonissue. Good luck! 

Have SEO questions? Chances are we've written about it! Try a quick Google search to find our advice. For fast and personalized support, see our Zoom sessions.  Official Squarespace Experts since 2014 

For clarification, this is happening because SS's recently added "demo text" on image blocks isn't visible when adding a standard inline image block. 

Edited to add: if a client wants to handle it before SS fixes it (assuming they will), just scan sitemap to find affected image/s, remove the demo text from the image block/s, and ask SS for a regen. 

Edited by ChristineDarby
add more info

Have SEO questions? Chances are we've written about it! Try a quick Google search to find our advice. For fast and personalized support, see our Zoom sessions.  Official Squarespace Experts since 2014 

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi,

A few days ago I replaced the images on my home page with renamed versions of the same files - deleted the old ones, and uploaded the newly named ones.

My sitemap has updated and shows the "new" images that I uploaded, but it is also still listing the old file names.

Is this something that I should be concerned about, and could it affect my SEO ?  Any ideas on how I correct this ?

Hi matthewevas,

I noticed the same thing when I looked at the site map. Some images retain default captions on the sitemap like "make it stand out" from the base theme. Or a mix of my titles and the theme titles. 

I noticed the update frequency on the sitemap is set as daily on the section but my changes were made a few days prior. 

Changes usually appear within an hour, although they can take up to 24 hours to appear in normal conditions. If you have concerns, I recommend that you get in touch with Squarespace Customer Care as they are the only ones that can help you to troubleshoot this. You can reach out to them here.

Me: I'm Paul, a SQSP user for >18 yrs & Circle Leader since 2017. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: Founder of SF.DIGITAL. We provide high quality original extensions to supercharge your Squarespace website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to my own SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is completely free. You can thank me by selecting a feedback emoji. Buying a coffee is generous but optional.

Would you like your customers to be able to mark their favourite products in your Squarespace store?

Hi there. When the image issue was first noted, there was another issue in that sitemaps also were not automatically updating as expected. When/if that happens, just reach out to SS customer support and ask them to regenerate your sitemap.

• 3 weeks later...

Looks like there is an issue with sitemaps at the moment.

Long story short, my sitemap is updating but is missing image URL's and metadata.

SQ support were able to replicate the issue, and it passed to the engineering team just over a week ago.

I Just chased it up, and got the following: -

Our engineers are aware of the issue though, so hopefully a solution can be in place soon. At this time I'm afraid there is no workaround for getting a sitemap to generate with the Gallery Section content as expected. I apologize for the inconvenience; at this time I am not able to provide an estimated timeframe for a fix, but feel free to reach back out and check in anytime in the future for an update, via live chat or email.
you say there is no workaround - is this a known issue affecting others ?
As a test, I created a new page, and added images. The same behaviour has happened. The new page populated in the site map, but the image URL's and metadata is missing.
Yes, this is a known issue and does appear to be affecting others' sites. There currently is no workaround.

@ChristineDarby

On 9/6/2021 at 5:37 PM, ChristineDarby said:

Hi there. When the image issue was first noted, there was another issue in that sitemaps also were not automatically updating as expected. When/if that happens, just reach out to SS customer support and ask them to regenerate your sitemap.

I've got an issue where my sitemap is updating, but image URL's and metadata is missing.

SS Customer Support have regenerated my sitemap a few times, and have been able to recreate the problem themselves.  It was passed to the engineering team 10 days ago.

Have you experienced a similar issue ?

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, nicc707 said:

I am still having this problem. Have you guys been able to resolve it? Thanks!

My sitemap issue with missing image URL's and missing / incorrect metadata has not been resolved.
My ticket with customer support has been open for 2 months.  I've chased it up a couple of times only to be told they are working on it, and cant commit to a timescale for resolution.

• 2 weeks later...

hi @ChristineDarby I've also just discovered this  <image:caption>Whatever it is, the way you tell your story online can make all the difference.</image:caption> problem in my sitemap too. I'm OK with manually fixing it but the problem is that I can't even see the placeholder text in any image caption fields in order to delete it. Is there a fix for this? Does anyone know if turning captions off will fix this?

• 5 months later...
On 11/23/2021 at 6:29 PM, dmarquez said:

It's crazy really, that this hasn't been fixed. You have to manually go to every single image with this problem, and change from inline to another image style under the design tab, remove the demo text, then go back to inline. Then save!

Thanks @dmarquez that solution did the trick.