Multiple H1 in every eCommerce page -Avenue template

Go to solution Solved by paul2009,

Site URL: https://seonaidrossart.com/available-works/sunset-on-the-oval

Hi:

I am new with SquareSpace

I need to manage a website which was created by a different programmer.

It seems the site is using the AVENUE template.

This is a website for an impressionist painter and each paint is a product in the eCommerce module

I found that every page  has more than one  H1, which is a NO-NO in best SEO practices.

It seems that the first H1 comes from the website name in the main template. However the H1 shouldn't be in he template as it will go to all other pages.

<h1 class="logo"><a href="/">Seonaid Ross Art</a></h1>

How can I modify the template so I can leave the logo but removing the h1 tag?

I appreciate your help

Edited by victorc
typo

It seems the site is using the AVENUE template.

It is a v7.0 site using the Avenue template. You can check which version and template a site is by going to Home > Help and scrolling to the bottom.

How can I modify the template so I can leave the logo but removing the h1 tag?

There are only two methods. One you could use Javascript to restructure the page. That may not be useful as it would depend on if the search engine is scanning the rendered page or the page source.

The second and I strongly urge not to do this unless you are prepared and willing to commit, is to use Developer Mode. Even turning it on or off can destroy a site if you don't know what you are doing.

Find my contributions useful? Please like, upvote, mark my answer as the best ( solution ), and see my profile. Thanks for your support! I am a Squarespace ( and other technological things ) consultant open for new projects.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Here is some code to alter the structure of the page. As to whether this code will help or not I do not know. In other words. The code can make the change but if the change is effective, who knows?

Install twcsl.

Add Store Product Detail Logo Class Replace Tag to Store Settings > Advanced > Page Header Code Injection for the store page.

Let us know how it goes.

Edited by creedon

Find my contributions useful? Please like, upvote, mark my answer as the best ( solution ), and see my profile. Thanks for your support! I am a Squarespace ( and other technological things ) consultant open for new projects.

• Solution
On 8/25/2021 at 2:44 PM, victorc said:

I found that every page  has more than one  H1, which is a NO-NO in best SEO practices.

That's outdated information. Google doesn’t have any issues with a page having multiple H1 tags. Multiple H1 tags are perfectly fine.

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

Did Google, or any search engine, really at one point actually penalize for multiple h1s?

When I hear this I think they must be (have been) nuts.

There must be tons of pages that use h1-6 as styling for outline like data.

Heading

Sub-heading

Some text here.

Heading

Sub-heading

Some text here.

etc. etc.

And then what about sites like SS sites that have a desktop and mobile version of elements. Each of those device types can use h1 for their particular presentation style.

It just seems madness that any search engine designer would come up with an only one h1 rule to begin with.