Squarespace Analytics - Excluding IP Addresses in Squarespace Analytics

As you we all know Google Analytics allows you to exclude visits based on IP addresses so staff visits and/or visits from the offices of the client, or even mine for testing purposes, will not be part of the analytics.

It would be great if Squarespace offers that option as well.

Some smaller clients of mine do not need Google Analytics and are very happy with the analytics offered by Squarespace, but because they are smaller companies, their visits to the site, or even my visits to check something, are skewing the data somewhat.

If I can exclude those visits, the data will be a better representation of ACTUAL visitors.

Shouldn't be that hard I would think?

Anyone any thoughts?

I run FuseHub Creative Group, a syndicate of creatives from all over the world with one common goal - to develop creative and strategic solutions for ambitious organizations, and develop cool plugins which you can find on the SQS Mods platform - Circle Members always get a 10% discount with this code: SQSMOD10.

12 minutes ago, RolandFuseHub said:

Some smaller clients are very happy with the analytics offered by Squarespace, but because they are smaller companies, their visits to the site, or even my visits to check something, are skewing the data somewhat.

If clients are using the built in Squarespace Analytics they can exclude their own visits by logging in to their site before visiting it.

The best way to do this is to visit account.squarespace.com and access the site from there. Squarespace Analytics ignores all site owner and contributor activity by default, so if you always log in first your visits will not register whilst you remain logged in.

When you’re logged out, your activity appears the same as any other visitor.

For more information, see Hiding your activity from Squarespace Analytics.

Me: I'm Paul, a SQSP user for >18 yrs & Circle Leader since 2017. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: Founder of SF.DIGITAL. We provide high quality original extensions to supercharge your Squarespace website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to my own SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is completely free. You can thank me by selecting a feedback emoji. Buying a coffee is generous but optional.

16 minutes ago, paul2009 said:

If clients are using the built in Squarespace Analytics they can exclude their own visits by logging in to their site before visiting it.

The best way to do this is to visit account.squarespace.com and access the site from there. Squarespace Analytics ignores all site owner and contributor activity by default, so if you always log in first your visits will not register whilst you remain logged in.

Nice suggestion @paul2009 but I can not give 10-15 staff access. Chances someone screws up something is just too high.

Edited by RolandFuseHub
Typo

I run FuseHub Creative Group, a syndicate of creatives from all over the world with one common goal - to develop creative and strategic solutions for ambitious organizations, and develop cool plugins which you can find on the SQS Mods platform - Circle Members always get a 10% discount with this code: SQSMOD10.

• 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...
On 6/18/2021 at 4:01 PM, paul2009 said:

I don't think this is accurate or maybe it has changed since then. I am always logged in and I still see my IP address in my SQSP analytics. Is there any more info about this?

• 4 months later...

Revisiting this -- even when logged in -- it keeps giving me my IP.  Perhaps it's that Safari (private browsing mode) and others cause this issue -- the weird thing is that of course it's the same IP, so it's kind of obvious.  A little database to exclude certain IP's would be great -- like Statcounter does for example, and as @RolandFuseHub mentioned google as well.  

• 2 months later...

I'm in a similar situation as above. Other than a few small exceptions, I always view my site logged in through Squarespace and it continually includes those views. Even when I'm actively updating pages it includes every page view into my analytics.

There are days where I have over 100 pages views just because I made updates to the site.

I'd really love a way to exclude my own IP address. I've done this in my google analytics, but for ease I tend to use the Squarespace App as a quick view. 

Unrelated, but has anyone noticed how it takes a long time for the app to update to reflect your views? It's not real-time. I usually see the number increase, but it takes a few hours for it to actually populate page views, location, etc. for me to analyze how someone moved through the site.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hopping on this thread to add my vote to some kind of filtering tool, within Squarespace, to block out specific IP addresses or ranges. It would be a big help in terms of workflow - the data and dashboards are otherwise a great surface-level view without diving into Google Analytics. I'm just getting too much of my own traffic, especially across various devices and browsers. Thanks!