Adding Category Descriptions by Category Page

Site URL: https://andreahitpas.squarespace.com

Site:  https://andreahitpas.squarespace.com

Password:  paintings

Hello - is it possible to add category descriptions to each individual category page within a store page?  Specifically for the site above, I'd like to have a different description for each of the categories:  New World Oil Paintings, Framed Ink Paintings, Fiber Art Wall Hangings, and One Hit Wonders.  When I change the text at the top of the Store front page, it changes it across all categories.   Ideally, we'd like to have no text above products on the all category page, but with the following descriptions for each individual category:

Store Front Page:  NO TEXT ABOVE PRODUCTS

H1:  New World Oil Paintings

Created during the Covid pandemic, my New World paintings are an expression of the emotions I experienced during those strange days. Although 2020 was full of anxiety and confusion, I intended my New World paintings to feel full of positive energy and look hopeful for the future.

H1:  Framed Ink Paintings

Inspired by a blissful winter escape to warm sunshine and ocean waves, I intend for these colorful pieces to bring joy into any space.  All paintings in this collection are cheerfully created with alcohol ink on yupo paper and come framed.

H1:  Fiber Art Wall Hangings

A few years ago I attended a macramé class on a whim and absolutely loved it! Since then, I’ve been tying knots, dip dying and creating wall hangings out of wool, cord and yarn. I love making this type of art and think it’s an interesting and unique form of art for your walls.

H1:  One Hit Wonders

I am inspired by color, emotions and nature.  Abstract art is the perfect way for me to express my ideas and inspirations freely. Creativity fuels my soul and fills my heart with peace and joy.

Please see Store Page List Categories Description Add.

If you use a paragraph style other than Heading 1, then you'll need to update your heading colors in color theme Lightest 2 as many of them are set to white right now. Meaning if you use them without changing, the text will appear not to be there but it is. It is just white text on a white background. My code is not broken, at least as far as that issue is concerned.

Let us know how it goes.

Edited by creedon

Find my contributions useful? Please like, upvote, mark my answer as the best ( solution ), and see my profile. Thanks for your support! I am a Squarespace ( and other technological things ) consultant open for new projects.

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...

@HousEOFVONNE

Please post the URL for a page on your site where we can see your issue.

If your site is not public please set up a site-wide password, if you've not already done so.

Post the password here.

Adding a site-wide password does not allow anyone to alter your site. It only allows those with the password to see your site. Please read the documentation at the link provided to understand how it works.

Please read the documentation at the link provided on how to share a link to your site to understand how it works. A link to the backend of the your site won’t work for us, i.e. a url that contains /config/.

We can then take a look at your issue.

Find my contributions useful? Please like, upvote, mark my answer as the best ( solution ), and see my profile. Thanks for your support! I am a Squarespace ( and other technological things ) consultant open for new projects.

• 1 month later...
On 5/7/2021 at 6:44 AM, creedon said:

Please see Add Store Category Page Description.

If you use a paragraph style other than Heading 1, then you'll need to update your heading colors in color theme Lightest 2 as many of them are set to white right now. Meaning if you use them without changing, the text will appear not to be there but it is. It is just white text on a white background. My code is not broken, at least as far as that issue is concerned.

Let us know how it goes.

Hello Creedon,

I've tried you code in this website

https://tricoche.squarespace.com
pw : TS22

The code is in this shop : /rhum-hse-martinique

but doesn't work 😞

Maybe you can help me please ?

Thank you in advance 🙂
Sébastien

TS.thumb.jpg.4abdf06a4f5c08601cc0e52b0c89f5b4.jpg

10 hours ago, sstinus said:

did you know why a second grey line appears with this code ?

It was a design choice I made to replicate the style of the area above.

You are free to remove/change my CSS, override or redesign the CSS that controls that styling.

Edited by creedon

On 5/6/2021 at 11:44 PM, creedon said:

Please see Add Store Category Page Description.

Let us know how it goes.

I need help with this issue also. personally not sure how i share my site with you honestly! 

@lilylundceramics

Please post the URL for a page on your site where we can see your issue.

If your site is not public please set up a site-wide password, if you've not already done so.

Post the password here.

Adding a site-wide password does not allow anyone to alter your site. It only allows those with the password to see your site. Please read the documentation at the link provided to understand how it works.

Please read the documentation at the link provided on how to share a link to your site to understand how it works. A link to the backend of the your site won’t work for us, i.e. a url that contains /config/.

We can then take a look at your issue.

• 6 months later...
2 hours ago, Antiques_store said:

your code worked great for one category but how would I do this across other category's

The code can handle multiple categories. I suggest keeping the description text intact so that in the future you have a guide to how to format additional categories.

categoryDescriptionMap : {

/*

the format of each line is a category and a description for the
            category

for each category copy value from Store Settings >
            Categories > [category name] > Edit Category > NAME field for the
            store page. you only need exactly what can be selected from the
            field. if you want to add a description to the Store page ( i.e.
            grid/listing ) leave the category empty, i.e. ''

if the description has single quotes in it then put a backslash
            before the single quotes. example: it's becomes it\'s

following is an example line. copy the example line below and paste
            after the example line. remove '// ' at beginning of pasted line.
            repeat for as many categories as you want to add a description. this
            has been done once initially

*/

// '[enter category here between single quotes]' : '[enter category description here between single quotes]',

'Folk Art' : '[enter category description here between single quotes]',

'Paintings' : '[enter category description here between single quotes]',

}

Let us know how it goes.

• 1 month later...
6 hours ago, nicolettely said:

Does this code compete with the other code of your that I used on thi store?

These two pieces of code, I think, should be able to work together. I've not tested them together.

You've used category URL slugs instead of category names.

'found-objects' : 'description',
          'contemporary' : 'description',
          'vintage-craft' : 'description',
          'fine-art' : 'description',
          'letterpress' : 'description',
          'books' : 'description',

From the code...

for each category copy value from Store Settings >
            Categories > [category name] > Edit Category > NAME field for the
            store page. you only need exactly what can be selected from the
            field. if you want to add a description to the Store page ( i.e.
            grid/listing ) leave the category empty, i.e. ''

Let us know how it goes.