Adding Category Descriptions by Category Page

12 hours ago, elramp said:

is it possible to have different text boxes on each of the three shop pages

Yes. I'm only seeing two listed in your post. The https://www.islasimpson.co.uk/shop-links is a redirect to another page.

You repeat this line for each category you want in the code.

'wallpaper' : '[enter category description here between single quotes replacing square brackets]',

'Fabric' : '[enter category description here between single quotes replacing square brackets]',

in order to have different text for SEO on each page

My code is not designed to address SEO issues. Weather a search crawler will pick up the text you add depends on if the crawler runs the JavaScript on the page.

Also is it possible to have the text box at the bottom of the page as in my attached mock up rather than at the top of the page?

Use the insertPosition setting in the code.

Find my contributions useful? Please like, upvote, mark my answer as the best ( solution ), and see my profile. Thanks for your support! I am a Squarespace ( and other technological things ) consultant open for new projects.

Hi Creedon, Thanx for you job - its great! I'd added Category descriptions and it works fine! 

But now i have a problem with Google - all pages with added code are marked as an error in Google Search Console. So these pages are not in Google Search results, as i understood... (( 

Am i missed something?

Structured data that cannot be analyzedParse error: missing character "}" or object name

Screenshot_81.thumb.jpg.034a4779ab935440fab5773ffb137dc5.jpg

5 hours ago, Semen said:

But now i have a problem with Google - all pages with added code are marked as an error in Google Search Console. So these pages are not in Google Search results, as i understood... (( 

Am i missed something?

It appears my code is not currently installed so I can't diagnose any issues with it.

Are you attempting to use my code to insert SEO data structures for Google to pick up? My code is not designed to do anything SEO related. It is simply for inserting text descriptions that humans can read.

Find my contributions useful? Please like, upvote, mark my answer as the best ( solution ), and see my profile. Thanks for your support! I am a Squarespace ( and other technological things ) consultant open for new projects.

On 6/14/2024 at 10:26 PM, creedon said:

It appears my code is not currently installed so I can't diagnose any issues with it.

Are you attempting to use my code to insert SEO data structures for Google to pick up? My code is not designed to do anything SEO related. It is simply for inserting text descriptions that humans can read.

1. The code is fully installed, it works fine and categories is on store page list in the last section https://www.hl-labs.sk/katalog :

Screenshot_82.thumb.jpg.9ef0b9330b86750d3ebfb129baad9ee3.jpg

You also can see how it works by clicking to any item in vertical menu:

Screenshot_83.thumb.jpg.fea946de2a9e086b28336139ef21dd47.jpg

2. Yes, sure i saw your previous messages - its not designed for SEO. But it does a little bit ))) Basic categorized pages do not have H1 tags, which is very important for SEO. After installing your code - it has! 

And, I do not use your code for any SEO results. Just to create a description. But an error had appeared exactly in these pages in Googe Search Console - so I just assumed it could be a result of adding the code...

Screenshot_84.jpg

On 6/14/2024 at 7:44 AM, Semen said:

Structured data that cannot be analyzedParse error: missing character "}" or object name

Here is what might be happening.  GSC is processing the categories data structure and choking on the last line...

"BODY LINE > CELLULITE" : "BODY LINE > CELLULITE",

On the last line of the data remove the comma.

In my code I removed the comma programmatically so it's not an issue for my code. I hadn't considered that other consumers might be processing the data and have issues.

Looks like I need to do a bug fix so that other consumers don't choke.

In the meantime, remove the comma and then let us know if the report errors clear. That could take some amount of time so no rush! 🙂

Edited by creedon

I have updated my cited code in my May 6, 2021 post.

From the changes...

• potential fix for script ld+json consumers syntax error

Please note that the element where you define your data has changed.

Let me know how it goes.

@Semen You may want to try the new version of my code before trying my previous post. Note the change of type="application/ld+json" to type="application/json" in the script tag you put in the last section on your store page.

On 6/17/2024 at 6:24 AM, creedon said:

@Semen You may want to try the new version of my code before trying my previous post. Note the change of type="application/ld+json" to type="application/json" in the script tag you put in the last section on your store page.

Thank you! I will try!

On 6/17/2024 at 6:24 AM, creedon said:

It Works! No more errors in Goggle Search console!!! Thanx a lot! 

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/14/2024 at 2:39 AM, creedon said:

Yes. I'm only seeing two listed in your post. The https://www.islasimpson.co.uk/shop-links is a redirect to another page.

You repeat this line for each category you want in the code.

'wallpaper' : '[enter category description here between single quotes replacing square brackets]',

'Fabric' : '[enter category description here between single quotes replacing square brackets]',

My code is not designed to address SEO issues. Weather a search crawler will pick up the text you add depends on if the crawler runs the JavaScript on the page.

Use the insertPosition setting in the code.

Thank you so much for your advice and help with this. Apologies I am new to working on Squarespace, so is it possible to add on page copy to this page  https://www.islasimpson.co.uk/shop-links ? I don't really understand how it is a redirect to another page and if so which page.

Also I am unsure how I am to go about attempting to add this code to the category pages while the site is live. I have looked at duplicating the whole website and the making the changes on the copy, but it appears you then have to move the domain and subscription to the new version of the site which is not ideal. I have also found that you can duplicate pages, however these don't appear to be classed as pages that I am wanting to edit. Could you give me some advice please on the best way to go about this?

Thank so much again in advance with all your help & advice on this

1 hour ago, elramp said:

Thank you so much for your advice and help with this. Apologies I am new to working on Squarespace, so is it possible to add on page copy to this page  https://www.islasimpson.co.uk/shop-links ? I don't really understand how it is a redirect to another page and if so which page.

Also I am unsure how I am to go about attempting to add this code to the category pages while the site is live. I have looked at duplicating the whole website and the making the changes on the copy, but it appears you then have to move the domain and subscription to the new version of the site which is not ideal. I have also found that you can duplicate pages, however these don't appear to be classed as pages that I am wanting to edit. Could you give me some advice please on the best way to go about this?

Thank so much again in advance with all your help & advice on this

I went ahead and decided to make a copy of the site to test on and then I will copy finished coding to live version of site when I am happy with everything. I added the Store Page List Category Description code to the site and nothing! Im not sure what I have done wrong here, as far as I can see I have followed the instructions correctly. Are you able to see what the issue is here?

I attempted to add a category description to the wallpaper page - https://ferret-minnow-ryxp.squarespace.com/shop-?category=wallpaper

Website copy url is https://ferret-minnow-ryxp.squarespace.com

Password is Islasimpson

Thanks again

5 hours ago, elramp said:

Im not sure what I have done wrong here, as far as I can see I have followed the instructions correctly. Are you able to see what the issue is here?

The issue is you've used smart quotes.

Screenshot2024-07-03at12_02_04PM.png.b568fc21bbb196e41a2f061672fd8db8.png

Screenshot2024-07-03at12_02_15PM.png.74d3eb388f630f376beac0232241cdfa.png

Use dumb quotes. ' not .

Let us know how it goes.

On 7/3/2024 at 8:09 PM, creedon said:

The issue is you've used smart quotes.

Screenshot2024-07-03at12_02_04PM.png.b568fc21bbb196e41a2f061672fd8db8.png

Screenshot2024-07-03at12_02_15PM.png.74d3eb388f630f376beac0232241cdfa.png

Use dumb quotes. ' not .

Let us know how it goes.

Ahhh!!! Something so small & simple, thank you, I have changed the quotes now and the category description is showing on the wallpaper page. The only issue is I now need to work out how to align it to the centre of the page and keep it within the page.

I expect it is to do with this part of the code in the CSS however I can't work out how to change it in order to centre the paragraph over several lines.

margin-bottom : 25px;
    width : calc( 100% + 15px );

If you could advise on this that would be most appreciated

Thanks in advance

Screenshot 2024-07-10 at 11.56.55.png

11 hours ago, elramp said:

The only issue is I now need to work out how to align it to the centre of the page

Please see the following.

Let us know how it goes.