Adding Category Descriptions by Category Page

1 hour ago, creedon said:

These two pieces of code, I think, should be able to work together. I've not tested them together.

You've used category URL slugs instead of category names.

'found-objects' : 'description',
          'contemporary' : 'description',
          'vintage-craft' : 'description',
          'fine-art' : 'description',
          'letterpress' : 'description',
          'books' : 'description',

From the code...

for each category copy value from Store Settings >
            Categories > [category name] > Edit Category > NAME field for the
            store page. you only need exactly what can be selected from the
            field. if you want to add a description to the Store page ( i.e.
            grid/listing ) leave the category empty, i.e. ''

Let us know how it goes.

Hmm... I couldnt get it to work.

• 3 months later...
On 11/1/2022 at 5:24 PM, creedon said:

These two pieces of code, I think, should be able to work together. I've not tested them together.

You've used category URL slugs instead of category names.

'found-objects' : 'description',
          'contemporary' : 'description',
          'vintage-craft' : 'description',
          'fine-art' : 'description',
          'letterpress' : 'description',
          'books' : 'description',

From the code...

for each category copy value from Store Settings >
            Categories > [category name] > Edit Category > NAME field for the
            store page. you only need exactly what can be selected from the
            field. if you want to add a description to the Store page ( i.e.
            grid/listing ) leave the category empty, i.e. ''

Let us know how it goes.

@creedon Can this code be easily edited to do the same thing for tags rather than categories? 

4 hours ago, nicolettely said:

Is it possible to do something like this on a tag page as well?

It should be possible but I know of no code that does this. Give me several business days to see if I can come up with something.

Find my contributions useful? Please like, upvote, mark my answer as the best ( solution ), and see my profile. Thanks for your support! I am a Squarespace ( and other technological things ) consultant open for new projects.

20 hours ago, nicolettely said:

Is it possible to do something like this on a tag page as well?

Please see Store Tag Page Description Add.

Let me know how it goes.

Find my contributions useful? Please like, upvote, mark my answer as the best ( solution ), and see my profile. Thanks for your support! I am a Squarespace ( and other technological things ) consultant open for new projects.

3 hours ago, creedon said:

Please see Store Tag Page Description Add.

Let me know how it goes.

@creedonYou are awesome!

This code does sort of interfere with another of your codes I'm utilizing. I hid the shop all page in favor of adding a section with custom categories for the initial store page.  I *think* that maybe because I have to add the tags in the last section on the store home that means its the section being targeted to hide in the category code insteag of the custom categories. 

Also how would I target the tag description to make it less wide across the page? 

Fine-Art-—-SHOP-—-HAND-or-EYE.png

2 hours ago, nicolettely said:

This code does sort of interfere

The first issue is you've used an Embed block instead of a Code block.

Second issue is the syntax of your code needs a fix. My fault as my attribute example wasn't very explicit.

ScreenShot2023-02-23at9_02_18PM.png.4423a64c3b5ceee82c6c5da0a644b69b.png

If there are other issues I can look at them after these are taken care of.

Let us know how it goes.

Edited by creedon

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/24/2023 at 12:09 AM, creedon said:

If there are other issues I can look at them after these are taken care of.

Let us know how it goes.

I had to remove the tag code because I couldn't get the two to play well together. 

I'm already using:

"Store Category Page Description Add" AND hiding Shop All page in favor of custom category images.

I couldn't figure how to hide both the category images and the Tag category code section without messing up the shop. 

I super appreciate your help though!

Hi, @creedon I have found your responses to questions like this all over forums, but I still can't seem to make it work. I think this is because I am trying to do it in my project page, not blog or shop. I tried to change certain words in the code, but I am missing something. I would like at least the category name to show up on the summary project page when they click on it, at most, I would love a description, but let's see. Feels like this should just be a toggle button somewhere since everyone wants this option. 🙂 Here is my page the site will be live on Tuesday next week, for now, it has a password. Turtledreams

image.thumb.png.f126cfc96928987f0bae66bde7c0bd36.png

9 hours ago, julesgilleland said:

I still can't seem to make it work. I think this is because I am trying to do it in my project page, not blog or shop.

I don't think I have any code that works with summary blocks. The code in this thread wouldn't apply.

I'm a little confused on which page you want to change. You mention the project page (with summary block) but your picture is showing your blog page. If you provide the URL to a specific page you want to change that would help.

If you want to have an enhanced summary many folks use Universal Filter. I don't know if it will meet your need but it doesn't hurt to look.

Yes, Sorry, I wrote it wrong it is within a blog, but I am using it to highlight projects. I have the list on the project page of the different categories of projects I have done and when you click on Education for instance you go here https://turtlewings.co.uk/all-projects/category/Education and I would like it to have the category title Education centred on the page, so they know where they went to. If I could also have a short description of the category page that would also be great. I will check out the filter, but it is really the category page from the blog posts that I want to add a title to. I hope this makes more since. 

9 hours ago, julesgilleland said:

I would like it to have the category title Education centred on the page, so they know where they went to.

Please see the following. I think it will do what you want.

You may want to read the other post in the thread for questions that came up about the code.

Let us know how it goes.

@creedon Hi, I am launching my site tomorrow and would really love to have these category titles showing up. I am not sure what I am missing. I followed all the steps, except I have searched everywhere about if I have to change something in the code and have tried a few things, but nothing works.  Can you take a look at it? www.turtlewings.co.uk (password until tomorrow Turtledreams 

On 3/20/2023 at 10:21 AM, julesgilleland said:

I am not sure what I am missing.

I think I have found out what is missing. It appears you've not installed the twcsl.js file on your site.

ScreenShot2023-03-21at12_26_06PM.thumb.png.b8fc3f95d464706d6f68588bd9ab8181.png

ScreenShot2023-03-21at12_26_46PM.png.a41abe78ba204338d9337487ab174a8a.png

Please see steps 1 & 2 of the paid plan install steps.

• 2 months later...
On 5/7/2021 at 6:44 AM, creedon said:

Please see Store Category Page Description Add.

If you use a paragraph style other than Heading 1, then you'll need to update your heading colors in color theme Lightest 2 as many of them are set to white right now. Meaning if you use them without changing, the text will appear not to be there but it is. It is just white text on a white background. My code is not broken, at least as far as that issue is concerned.

Let us know how it goes.

Hey! I am looking for the same thing: Adding Store Category Page Description. My only problem: I am using SS 7.0 and not 7.1. Do you have a solution for the older version? The shop-site is: www.bryanbenner.com/shop 

I would appreciate any help!!!