Facebook Domain Verification

Go to solution Solved by paul2009,

Hi - has anyone successfully verified their domain on Facebook? As part of the iOS 14 release, FB is requiring that we verify our domain and offers options to do this via meta-tag injection, HTML file upload, and DNS verification. I tried the meta-tag injection using the code injection feature on Squarespace, but it still wasn't recognizing the code on the site (although I do see the code when I look at the page source). 

Both FB and Squarespace have been unhelpful so any guidance would be VERY welcome. 

Thanks! 

• Solution
On 4/8/2021 at 6:41 PM, mdpn said:

FB is requiring that we verify our domain and offers options to do this via meta-tag injection, HTML file upload, and DNS verification.

I recommend that you use the DNS verification method as this is easier for Squarespace site owners.

All you need to do is to add a TXT entry to your DNS records to confirm that you own the domain. The precise steps to add a DNS TXT entry will depend on the company who host your domain name.

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

Just did the Facebook domain verification, here are the steps: 

In FB Business Manager, add you domain in Business Settings>Brand Safety>Domains.

I chose the DNS method, click to copy the necessary information to the clipboard.

In Squarespace: Settings>Domains>Choose correct domain (if hosting more than one)

Advanced settings> Custom Records 'Add' >Paste needful>change Record to TXT and Save

Back in FB Business Manager - I waited only a few minutes, clicked Verify and it's done.

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/18/2021 at 3:27 PM, MeganMcCrory said:

In FB Business Manager, add you domain in Business Settings>Brand Safety>Domains.

I chose the DNS method, click to copy the necessary information to the clipboard.

In Squarespace: Settings>Domains>Choose correct domain (if hosting more than one)

Advanced settings> Custom Records 'Add' >Paste needful>change Record to TXT and Save

Back in FB Business Manager - I waited only a few minutes, clicked Verify and it's done.

THANK YOU!

That worked for me. I thought for a while I might have to upgrade my package to confirm my domain to Facebook. Phew!

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/18/2021 at 7:27 AM, MeganMcCrory said:

THANK YOU Megan McCrory!!! Facebook was absolutely useless as I wasted 30 minutes of my life I'll never get back, as were the generic "use the DNS verification!" prompt. You clearly outlining the steps enabled me to make it work. YOU ARE AWESOME!!!

• 1 month later...

Hello @tuanphan& @paul2009I am trying to help a friend with the same issue as explained here, however neither steps truly worked - maybe I missed something. 

The code injection to the header won't work as she is on a basic plan and this only seems to be possible on 'Business and Commerce plans' which is a real shame. 

I then tried to follow the steps outlined - "Settings>Domains>Choose correct domain (if hosting more than one) Advanced settings> Custom Records 'Add' >Paste needful>change Record to TXT and Save" however I can not truly see what's being described here... 

Under Advanced Settings, I can only choose between 'Use Squarespace Nameservers' or 'Use Custom Nameservers'. The latter asks for more than one but we only got one TXT snippet from Facebook... 

The URL of the website has been registered through Squarespace directly in case that matters. 

Any help would be much appreciated. 

Thank you in advance. 
Jane 

Screen Shot 2021-07-15 at 7.52.29 pm.png

1 hour ago, jane.melde said:

I am trying to help a friend with the same issue as explained here, however neither steps truly worked - maybe I missed something. 

If your domain is registered with Squarespace, the steps are:

1. Click on Settings > Domains.
  2. Under Squarespace Domains, click the domain name.
  3. Click DNS Settings.
  4. Scroll down to Custom Records.
  5. In the Record field of a blank row, select TXT from the drop-down.
  6. In the Host field, enter the host name they provided.
  7. In the Data field, enter the TXT record value they provided.
  8. Click Add to save the record to your settings.

If this helps, please click "Like" below ⬇️

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

On 7/15/2021 at 9:10 PM, paul2009 said:

3. Click DNS Settings.

Thank you @paul2009 this worked, I really appreciate your step-by-step guidance!! 

• 7 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 7/15/2021 at 4:10 AM, paul2009 said:

3. Click DNS Settings.

@paul2009 Thank you for sharing the steps! 

For anyone stuck on step 6, you'll enter an @ symbol into the host field, no other text. (see attached screen shot.) Here is the article where I found the information: https://developers.facebook.com/docs/sharing/domain-verification/verifying-your-domain/.

I also found this video helpful: https://youtu.be/x28TGYX9NW4

What to Enter Into Host Field.jpg

Edited by TabithaM
On 4/4/2022 at 7:36 PM, AshPPN said:

After doing this as paul2009 kindly shared, my Facebook still does not show a 'Verify domain' button.

If you confirm your domain name, I can check if the record has been updated.

31 minutes ago, AshPPN said:

thanks, my domain name is www.pureplantnutrients.co.uk

There is an error in your TXT record. It currently looks like this:

facebook-domain-verification=facebook-domain-verification=abcdefghijklmnopqrst

when it should look like this:

facebook-domain-verification=abcdefghijklmnopqrst

(You'll see that I've substituted "abcdef...." for your actual verification code but that's only to avoid posting your code in a public post. You'll need to use your actual code.)

You can edit this TXT record in Settings > Domains > pureplantnutrients.co.ukDNS records.

Did this help? Please give feedback by clicking an icon below  ⬇️

4 hours ago, paul2009 said:

There is an error in your TXT record. It currently looks like this:

facebook-domain-verification=facebook-domain-verification=abcdefghijklmnopqrst

when it should look like this:

facebook-domain-verification=abcdefghijklmnopqrst

(You'll see that I've substituted "abcdef...." for your actual verification code but that's only to avoid posting your code in a public post. You'll need to use your actual code.)

You can edit this TXT record in Settings > Domains > pureplantnutrients.co.ukDNS records.

Hi Paul thanks very much, fingers crossed this is all we need.  Would you mind also kindly letting me know where I should be looking for the 'Verify Domain' button.  Will it appear (within 72 hours) in the area where I am currently seeing the 'Not Verified' wording?  Thanks again.

• 6 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I'm just starting with FB business and I'm trying to verify my domain. So far I'm around 2 hours into it as nothing is clear.. I've come across this thread which I tried to follow but when looking for the advanced tab I don't have it. 

My Domain is with Google so when I look on the domain menu through SS I see this. Would this be something I need to do through Google?

I've tried inserting the code but I need to upgrade for that.

Screenshot 2023-02-12 at 11.33.17.png

Screenshot 2023-02-12 at 11.35.32.png

1 minute ago, Obz said:

I'm just starting with FB business and I'm trying to verify my domain. So far I'm around 2 hours into it as nothing is clear.. I've come across this thread which I tried to follow but when looking for the advanced tab I don't have it. 

My Domain is with Google so when I look on the domain menu through SS I see this. Would this be something I need to do through Google?

Yes. If your domain is managed by Google, you will need to log on to Google Domains. At the top left, click Menu > DNS. Under 'Resource records', click Custom records.

• 4 months later...
On 3/1/2022 at 11:32 AM, thebusinessofmua said:

Hi,

The above is the closest I've gotten to making this work but Facebook hasn't provided a Host name, just the attached info, what would I put in the Host box?

Thanks in advance!

ss.jpg

Me too. This is the closest I have gotten. I followed the instructions. 

• 1 month later...

Hi! I've been trying to verify my domain on facebook - and I can't find where I can input the DNS information that is mentioned in the above answers.  Do you have to have your own domain not built in by squarespace to use this feature?

Thanks.

3 hours ago, Krattan said:

Do you have to have your own domain not built in by squarespace to use this feature?

Yes. With built-in domains you have no access to the DNS. With a custom domain, you do.

Find my contributions useful? Please like, upvote, mark my answer as the best ( solution ), and see my profile. Thanks for your support! I am a Squarespace ( and other technological things ) consultant open for new projects.

• 8 months later...

Hi, I'm also having trouble trying to verify my domain on FB. Am trying to use the DNS method and am following the steps above but when I get to domains_advanced settings I have 3 options - Nameservers settings, Nameserver registration and Use www prefix. I can't see anything which says DNS. My domain is a squarespace domain. Would be grateful for some knowledge and help!