Where did the product item nav (prev/next) go?

@dhobman

Almost the same page. I looked at the link I posted previously which is the product detail page. On the product index page you posted I can also see product listed.

1939393875_ScreenShot2021-10-05at12_31_08PM.png.db1d5f075b74ecf0d1717cd814c66b95.png

Find my contributions useful? Please like, upvote, mark my answer as the best ( solution ), and see my profile. Thanks for your support! I am a Squarespace ( and other technological things ) consultant open for new projects.

• 5 weeks later...

Hello @paul2009, @creedon, and @tuanphan,

You three obviously know a lot more about customizing a 7.1 Squarespace site than I do. I'm still stuck without a solution to Squarespace's removal of Pagination. While I'm not excited about this option, I'm wondering if I can just deal with this manually. I can easily create functional links in a format like "< Previous | Next >" within the text for a Product in a Store, but I can't figure out how to get that text into the space that was previously occupied by the automated Pagination system text. Do you know how I could get it into the right space? I've created a picture of what I'm aiming for here...

Manual_Pagination.thumb.jpg.0925a4eaa7f5b9015184219333735230.jpg

On 11/4/2021 at 10:52 PM, dhobman said:

You three obviously know a lot more about customizing a 7.1 Squarespace site than I do. I'm still stuck without a solution to Squarespace's removal of Pagination. While I'm not excited about this option, I'm wondering if I can just deal with this manually. I can easily create functional links in a format like "< Previous | Next >" within the text for a Product in a Store, but I can't figure out how to get that text into the space that was previously occupied by the automated Pagination system text. Do you know how I could get it into the right space? I've created a picture of what I'm aiming for here...

Can you share link to product in screenshot?

Email me if you have need any help (free, of course.). Answer within 24 hours. 
Or send to forum message

Contact Customer Care - Learn CSS - Buy me a coffee (thank you!)

On 11/4/2021 at 9:22 PM, dhobman said:

please tell me how to add this button next/previous

• 4 weeks later...

Just a status update for anyone following this... @paul2009 was unable to craft a solution due to a bug in the Squarespace code, as noted on his site here: https://sf.digital/product-ux-extension. Squarespace, meanwhile, has told me that Pagination was a "bug" that was never intended to be in the 7.1 platform. This seems incredibly disingenuous, considering that this "bug" was clearly core functionality carried from the 7.0 commerce platform straight into 7.1 when they started it. To add to this, Squarespace is now claiming that the 7.1 platform is "beta" software, so they have no need to guarantee functionality of any kind. This is interesting, seeing as they're selling the 7.1 platform right alongside the 7.0 platform and have no warnings of it being a beta product. Attached here is their statement to me, dated November 22, 2021. 

What's also odd about all this is that Pagination actually works on the 7.1 platform if you only use the Quick View option. So their code can clearly do Pagination. Why Pagination from Quick View can't just handle Products in their full view is beyond me.

From Squarespace:

Beta.jpg

Edited by dhobman
  • 4 weeks later...

An update to anyone following this... Fenix from Code +Tonic has developed a solution to the problem here. He's posted a video showing how it works here: https://youtu.be/Wa-oEJWAfuA

The way this currently works is that the pagination links will give the full name of the previous and next items in a store page's product lineup, with the links appearing at the bottom of the particular product page. He took a stab at this problem after I posted about this on reddit.

If you are interested, you can contact him about this via his website here: https://codeandtonic.com/contact

• 3 weeks later...

Found a way to solve this

It's possible to find out what's the next/previous product using the Squarespace website JSON. On any page add ?format=json-pretty to the url to see the information. You can get that info with  javascript fetch and add the links to your template. More detailed info about this can be found my this blog post. It needs a bit of extra code because of the bug mentioned in the previous posts. 

Plugin now available

Just released the Squarespace 7.1 Pagination plugin. It'll do everything for you with a quick copy-paste. 

Edited by codeandtonic

Freelance Squarespace developer making plugins like Full-Width Blocks, Hover effects for grid gallery and the Darkmode plugin. I know Squarespace inside out and I'm able to solve pretty much any Squarespace code problem.

Get in touch here!

On 1/24/2022 at 4:36 PM, codeandtonic said:

For lazy people – plugin available

I've also coded a  Squarespace 7.1 Pagination plugin. It's a quick, lazy & easy way to get pagination navigation back. A few minutes and one copy-paste.

The code stuff was beyond me (I thought there was no longer a "developer mode" in the new 7.1 version) but your plugin seemed to work here. 

A little frustrated that the next/prev links were removed since I like 7.1 a more than 7.0 in almost every way. Feels like new features are be added there and 7.0 will probably just stay like it is now. But I'm pretty sure most visitors won't have the patience to go back and forth to the product grid and a product and then back. It's so much more effort than just clicking "next".

Safari – at 22.20.jpg