Either "offers", "review", or "aggregateRating" should be specified

You're seeing this message because Google is looking for markup on a product page so they can provide detailed information like price, availability, and review ratings in their search results. Recommended properties include a nested aggregateRating of the product, an offer to sell the product and a nested review.

Google offer more information about this in their developer docs for structured data. They explain how to provide this data and provide a structured data testing tool so you can test the code before adding it. Right now, you can only do this manually, but this is obviously not helpful. It is something you want Squarespace to create automatically. Some fields are already created (price, currency, stock level) but not the ones mentioned above.

You can provide feedback about this to Squarespace by raising a ticket through Customer Care. They'll document your feature request and share it with the appropriate team.

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

• 2 weeks later...

So I think I identified the issue on my site using Google's structured data validation tool.  (Link to one of the impacted pages).

It appears the template I'm using (Moksha) is causing two 'product' structured data items to appear to Google for a page which should only have one, the second of which is causing this error.

<html xmlns:og="http://opengraphprotocol.org/schema/" xmlns:fb="http://www.facebook.com/2008/fbml" xmlns:product="http://ogp.me/ns/product" lang="en-US" itemscope itemtype="http://schema.org/Product">
<meta itemprop="name" content="Sensory Deprivation Tank —  Indigo Aire Spa & Wellness Center"/>
<meta itemprop="url" content="https://www.indigoaire.com/spa/sensory-deprivation-tank"/>
<meta itemprop="description" content="$60 for 1 Hour Float Session  $165 for three 1 Hour Float Sessions  Call for package specials  Choose options below to view pricing."/>
<meta itemprop="thumbnailUrl" content="http://static1.squarespace.com/static/5a1f2b5c8c56a86c49a38f90/5dbb3d8dce132b64c58d7833/5dbb42576f8b1269bc242f03/1572725664375/y.png?format=1500w"/>

The lines above are, I believe, the culprit. These <meta itemprop...> tags seem to be the second 'product' structured data item which has no 'offers, reviews, or aggregateRating' specified, and which is causing the error. I found it because one of the warnings I was getting (and still am) was about the 'product' structured data type not containing a 'thumbnailUrl' property. 

The property thumbnailUrl is not recognized by Google for an object of type Product.)

I found a potential workaround, which doesn't seem to be breaking anything, but some input from someone who knows more about it than myself would be good. I haven't done any work with these structured data types before, and my practical web design knowledge is about 10 years out of date. One of the pages which Google showed this error for has validated, and a second one is pending. For some reason, the error only showed up in the search console for two of the pages, though the data validation tool showed it for all the product pages I tested.

What I did was inject these lines into the header from the products page. (Click on the products page in the 'pages' tab, hit the 'product settings' menu, and hit 'advanced', and 'page header code injection')

<div style="display:none;" itemprop="offers" itemscope itemtype="http://schema.org/AggregateOffer">
    <span itemprop="lowPrice">40</span>
    <span itemprop="highPrice">240</span>
    <span itemprop="priceCurrency">USD</span>
</div>

This is specifying 'offers' for the second product and thus fixing the error that Google sees on the page. As far as I can tell, these numbers aren't changing anything with the main product Google sees, and which is showing up in the search results, so they can be anything. The ones I have here just happen to be low and high price for another service offered, but since this is code injected a level up from the individual products, you can't specify the amount on an individual level anyways.

Hopefully the error I found is what is affecting everyone else, and hopefully it will help squarespace fix it so that we don't have to use such workarounds. In the meantime, someone else may find a better workaround than this, if this is indeed what was causing the problem for others. Ideally, I think, the second 'product' structured data item specified by the <meta itemprop...> tags above would be deleted completely, but I don't think that's possible to do as a user.

Edited by Peteys93
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have the same issue with the york family  - flores template.  

I dont have the coding skills to fix this issue and wouldn't know where to start

I would like squarespace to get onto these issues when they first come to light so that we - the paying customer - don't have to use forums to vent our frustration. 

I agree with rustbelt - Squarespace need to resolve this on their own ASAP 

I agree re: Squarespace should be fixing this problem as part of their service offering.... incredibly frustrating. 

I've been playing around with Data Highlighter but for the most part every page is recognised differently and I can't get the information into product page that Google requires.

Have been trying a few different codes but even though every product page is set up the same in my Skye family, Indigo template it doesn't recognise these on any duplicate page. 

Sadly about to give up... disappointing that Squarespace can't provide the fix for this.

I was told via chat with Squarespace to read a generic article about Google console errors and that I should reach out to Google directly since this is a 3rd party app.  However, they are looking further into it and hopefully will get back to me with a legit response.

• 2 weeks later...

I am having the same issue and can't get rid of "Either "offers", "review", or "aggregateRating" should be specified".   Why can't we have this as a option on digital products also?    It's all my digital products that are returning these errors.   I am pretty tech savoy but can not figure out the codes (nor trust myself to be honest) to mess with the codes.    Per SquareSpace you place a code or third party in and your web site is null and void.   So help us out here SquareSpace!!!!

To repeat my comment above, you can provide direct feedback about this to Squarespace by raising a feature request through Customer Care. They'll share it with the appropriate team. This forum is not monitored for product feature requests.

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

• 9 months later...
On 10/19/2019 at 6:14 AM, SpaceAnderson said:

Is anyone getting this error from Google Search Console?  

Either "offers", "review", or "aggregateRating" should be specified

Looking into it I found some workarounds in other CMS but not for Squarespace. 

Any answers or workarounds? 

Thanks!

Yes, the work around is to generate structured data markup yourself and insert it on the relevant page. It will then work in conjunction with the SS auto-generated markup and resolved the issue. FAIR WARNING - structured data markup is a bit over-bearing. Sites like FIVERR or UPWORK has talent that can help you generate structured data. Alternatively, check out schema.dev tool and see if it works.

@pinoshah

On 12/1/2019 at 2:55 PM, LeahHamer said:

I agree re: Squarespace should be fixing this problem as part of their service offering.... incredibly frustrating. 

I've been playing around with Data Highlighter but for the most part every page is recognised differently and I can't get the information into product page that Google requires.

Have been trying a few different codes but even though every product page is set up the same in my Skye family, Indigo template it doesn't recognise these on any duplicate page. 

Sadly about to give up... disappointing that Squarespace can't provide the fix for this.

Do you mean Google's data highlighter? Perhaps, try schema.dev.

@pinoshah

• 9 months later...
  • 1 year later...