This website is pending domain owner verification

Go to solution Solved by paul2009,

It will come from your current domain registrar, which sounds like Godaddy.

I would contact support on Godaddy first and speak to them, there's not much assistance or Squarespace Support can be at this moment.

Please like and upvote if my comments were helpful to you. Cheers!

Zygmunt Spray
Squarespace Website Designer
Contact me: 
https://squarefortytwo.com 
Hire me on Upwork!

🔌 Ghost Squarespace Plugins (Referral link)
📈 SEO Space (Referral link)
 SquareWebsites Plugins (Referral link)
 🔲 SQSP Themes (Referral link) 
Spark Plugin (Referral link) 
 🖼️ Gallery Lightbox Plugin (Referral link) 

Did I help? Buy me a coffee?

Though that said, it might be that the verification is needed by Squarespace, so try contacting their support too.

Zygmunt Spray
Contact me: 
Hire me on Upwork!

Just now, Ziggy said:

It will come from your current domain registrar, which sounds like Godaddy.

I would contact support on Godaddy first and speak to them, there's not much assistance or Squarespace Support can be at this moment.

I received this email which suggests that the verification is in progress. Is there a manual action that needs to take place?

Screenshot 2023-10-27 at 12.06.34 PM.png

Zygmunt Spray
Contact me: 
Hire me on Upwork!

Hello @paul2009 I am having the same issue as the members above with a site I am pushing live: karamercer.com - appears to be connected in SS through updating nameserver in go daddy. However receiving the error message: This website is pending domain owner verification. Do I sit and wait, or is there anything I need to update in DNS?

I had the same issue yesterday and it cleared up on its own after about 90 minutes. 

I had not seen this message before in the dozen+ sites I've launched with Squarespace. It's possible that the client/domain owner responded to an authorization email, but I don't think that's likely. The timing seemed to be directly linked to establishing the SSL certificate.

My specifics: Namecheap Registrar, changing nameservers from cloudflare to squarespace.

• 3 weeks later...

I attempted to link a third party (godaddy) domain name to my squarespace account a couple of days ago and i am still getting a connection in progress message. When i click on the site link actionagility.com it goes to a page that says: This website is pending domain owner verification. This is my first time building a website so im not sure what is going on.  

• Squarespace Defaults

Host
Type
Priority
Data

@

A

N/A

@

A

N/A

@

A

N/A

@

A

N/A

CNAME

N/A

ext-sq.squarespace.com

am i supposed to have two CNAME ?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Hi, I have a similar problem. My DNS provider requires the domain name always in the first field, so:
www -> www.mydomain.com

kjl23h4j23k -> kjl23h4j23k.mydomain.com

Is there any walkaround to this problem?

• 2 months later...

This should resolve it!

For anyone experiencing this problem, try adding a manual TXT record to double verify ownership. There are certain registrars (godaddy, Wix, etc.) who, even though the DNS records look connected, need additional verification in the DNS records. No one says this. Everything looks connected on Squarespace side, but when you go to your domain, you get the dreaded 'Pending Owner Verification' note. Here is what you do:

1. Go into the domain's DNS settings within Squarespace. 

2. Copy the string of letters/numbers next to the verify.squarespace DNS entry (see pic below)

3. Login to your domain registrar (godaddy, wix, etc.) and navigate to your DNS settings. Go through any security measures needed to be able to edit the DNS records manually. Sometimes this means text or email verification. You are going to be adding a new record, so you need full access. 

4. Create a new TXT record (not DNS, scroll down until you see a TXT section and click Add New)

5. Enter the following values:

• Alias/Host/Host Name leave blank. If this doesn't work, try typing '@' here
  • Points to - Paste the code you copied earlier 
  • If there is a section asking you to confirm the Type or Record Type - select TXT or TXT Record

6. Save the record

This will manually verify ownership and should get your site back online pretty quickly

★★★ Don't delete the orginal DNS record that you copied! Leave it as you found it.

★★★ If Squarespace is not letting you access the DNS records of the domain at all (the option to click on DNS settings disappears, it is because it thinks your site is already perfectly connected. You need to disconnect the domain, then re-add the domain. Select 'other' for provider, and select 'No, Connect via DNS' when asked which method you want to use to connect. This will give you access to the DNS records again (don't close the window after it connects or it will be hard to get back to!). If you do this, Squarespace will generate a new verify.squarespace DNS record, so you will need to copy this, as outlined above, and in addition to following the steps above, replace the DNS verify.squarespace record within registrar's domain settings with the new code, so both are up to date.

Hope this helps someone! 

Screenshot 2024-03-19 at 11.29.22 AM.png

• 1 month later...

Same issue here pinkeraserproject.org... GoDaddy domain was pointing to WIX, now should be pointing to her new SS site... we've waited over 12 hours and have a Monday Deadline... but my client's site status is:

• SSL issued
  • Connection in progress (still)

Wondering why the record for "verify..." is a TXT and has the google prefix too??

we called GoDaddy and double-checked that there were no conflicting records in the DNS there...

domains page.png

in progress.png

nameserverconnect in progress.png

Squarespace DNS.png

Edited by BGirl
new question added
  • 4 weeks later...

My third party domain has already connected but it says this when I go to the website it says "This website is pending domain owner Verification". 

Can someone pls help me. 

See photos below for reference. 

image.png

image.png

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, ArguezCo said:

We have been at this for days... about to give up squarespace... everything has been followed still pending verification.

@ArguezCo It looks like there's at least one step that hasn't been completed for this GoDaddy domain.

1. One of the A records is missing and must be added to GoDaddy. They should be:

image.png.dc943c1727cb854960387adcb359bfd2.png

2. If you still experience an issue, please log on to the Squarespace website Domains panel and check that the domain name is listed. A screenshot of your Domains panel will help us to see the status.

Let us know how you get on.

Did this help? Please give feedback by clicking an icon below  ⬇️

Me: I'm Paul, a SQSP user for >18 yrs & Circle Leader since 2017. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: Founder of SF.DIGITAL. We provide high quality original extensions to supercharge your Squarespace website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to my own SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is completely free. You can thank me by selecting a feedback emoji. Buying a coffee is generous but optional.

Would you like your customers to be able to mark their favourite products in your Squarespace store?

• 1 month later...

I am getting the same errory
the DNS has been setup correctly in my provider (claranet) , its been longer then 72 hours and I also added a txt record and i still get this same message

is there an email I need to approve?
I have disconnected the domain twice and still doesn't connect after the 72 hour wait

also squarespace support is average, all bots and no one to actually call and go through it all wish

1 hour ago, fairyfloss said:

I am getting the same error

To help, we’ll need to know your domain name 🙂

Me: I'm Paul, a SQSP user for >18 yrs & Circle Leader since 2017. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: Founder of SF.DIGITAL. We provide high quality original extensions to supercharge your Squarespace website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to my own SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is completely free. You can thank me by selecting a feedback emoji. Buying a coffee is generous but optional.

Would you like your customers to be able to mark their favourite products in your Squarespace store?

9 hours ago, fairyfloss said:

the DNS has been setup correctly in my provider (claranet) , its been longer then 72 hours and I also added a txt record and i still get this same message

The DNS records have not been set up. Here are the current DNS records for moahcreeksolar.com:

image.thumb.png.ac8c5e158d6180c4bde42aa5aa11b011.png

image.thumb.png.a669330fbddbf31b30432d6944b804de.png

You'll need to add the records described in this guide: DNS records for connecting third-party domains.

Did this help? Please give feedback by clicking an icon below  ⬇️