Placeholder text on form textboxes no longer an option

So in a form section you add different boxes, text area, name etc. You can then add a title, description & placeholder text. But for text box specifically placeholder text has gone missing? Text area and others are fine

SC 16 & 17 show it used to be there as it is on one of my old forms but I can no longer get rid or change it.

SC 18 shows on a new form the option is also not there. I have tried closing and resetting square space all basic trouble shooting

I assume this is a glitch? Just wanted to see if anyone else has this issue? Going to have to use text areas for everything and make it 4 times the size for no n 

Screenshot (16).png

Screenshot (17).png

Screenshot (18).png

I am no longer seeing the placeholder text field for the text box either 😑 and am getting an error when I click anywhere outside of editing the form fields.

I figured it was glitch also since you can still add placeholder text to other fields. Now my form looks crazy because some fields have placeholder text and others don't. 

image.jpeg.edf26a6cd8a8df5737f7a6e9117f9996.jpeg

image.jpeg.615cfe42837f78b4a71836c5bfed17c1.jpeg

22 hours ago, Amanda_B said:

I am no longer seeing the placeholder text field for the text box either 😑 and am getting an error when I click anywhere outside of editing the form fields.

I figured it was glitch also since you can still add placeholder text to other fields. Now my form looks crazy because some fields have placeholder text and others don't. 

image.jpeg.edf26a6cd8a8df5737f7a6e9117f9996.jpeg

image.jpeg.615cfe42837f78b4a71836c5bfed17c1.jpeg

Hi,

If SS Doesn't allow this, we can use some code to add Placeholder. Just share link to page where you use form + let me know which field you want to add placeholder, we can help easier

Email me if you have need any help (free, of course.). Answer within 24 hours. 
Or send to forum message

Contact Customer Care - Learn CSS - Buy me a coffee (thank you!)

I came here to ask exactly the same question.  I use it with the first field labelled Subject to get unique email subjects when people fill in the form, so it's rather important in gmail NOT to get multiple people's form submissions as part of the same email conversation.  

Time to submit a bug report to Squarespace!

• 1 month later...
5 hours ago, kc-designs-101 said:

@tuanphan could you show how to add custom placeholders to a standard Squarespace form (first name, last name, email, phone, text field)? I've tried all sorts of Jquery and Javascript solutions with no success.

If you share link to page where you use form, we can check & give code easier

Email me if you have need any help (free, of course.). Answer within 24 hours. 
Or send to forum message

Contact Customer Care - Learn CSS - Buy me a coffee (thank you!)

Of course! Site info below:

https://beagle-spinach-ebxb.squarespace.com/
P: SQForm

The form is at the bottom of the page. Here is the JQery I have in the Header of the site (it does not add the placeholder):

<script src="https://ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/libs/jquery/3.5.1/jquery.min.js"></script>
<script>
$( ( ) => {

/* @CREEDON */

const FormClass = 'react-form-contents';
    const firstNamePlaceholderText = 'First Name';
    const lastNamePlaceholderText = 'Last Name';
    const monthPlaceholderText = 'MM';
    const dayPlaceholderText = 'DD';
    const yearPlaceholderText = 'YYYY';

let $form = $( '[class="' + FormClass + '"]' );
   $( '.first-name input', $form )

.attr ( 'placeholder', firstNamePlaceholderText );
  $('#email-yui_3_17_2_1_1683468674329_5770-field').attr('placeholder','Email');
    } );
  </script>

Thank you for your help!

On 3/23/2023 at 6:44 PM, BiggestJonny said:

Placeholder text on form textboxes no longer an option

@BiggestJonny @Amanda_B 

Squarespace engineers are currently rolling out a “Form Block Update” to Squarespace sites, so you may have seen some temporary glitches. However, the placeholder option is still available for text fields on the new Form Block, and should be visible now. Here's a screenshot of a text field, showing the option:

image.thumb.png.1e575ba08fb51c2043831455632e02d0.png

If you're not seeing this option then I recommend that you contact Squarespace Customer Care directly. If you experience any difficulties contacting Squarespace, please read how to contact Squarespace.

Edited by paul2009

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

I'm also looking for help on getting placeholder text in the first/last and phone fields with Squarespace's new forms. I previously followed the guidance provided by @tuanphan and @creedon in another thread that's basically summarized by another user here: 

And that solution worked great originally, but it's broken now on the new forms. Has anyone else figured it out?

• 1 month later...
On 5/15/2023 at 11:56 AM, pnel said:

I'm also looking for help on getting placeholder text in the first/last and phone fields with Squarespace's new forms. I previously followed the guidance provided by @tuanphan and @creedon in another thread that's basically summarized by another user here: 

And that solution worked great originally, but it's broken now on the new forms. Has anyone else figured it out?

Having the same issue!