Remove title from YouTube video link as background

When using a youtube link as a background video in a section, the title of the video appears in the top left for a few seconds once it begins playing, as well as a 'copy link' icon on the top right. Its distracting and makes the site look cheap, in my opinion. I'd love to have the video load without the title and 'copy link' icon appearing.  Anything I can add or change in the link itself to do so? 

Thanks!

N

Screen Shot 2023-01-30 at 10.41.09 AM.png

• Replies 3
  • Views 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 1/30/2023 at 6:50 PM, NikoNikoNiko said:

When using a youtube link as a background video in a section, the title of the video appears in the top left for a few seconds once it begins playing, as well as a 'copy link' icon on the top right. 

These cannot be removed. The workaround is to host your video elsewhere, either on Squarespace directly on or on a paid service like Vimeo.

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

Thanks @paul2009

Hmmm, bummer. Yeah, SquareSpace only allows uploaded videos 1 minute in length and Vimeo's free basic account flat out doesn't allow it, and I'm not ready to start paying for account to host background videos. Is there another free video hosting platform that SquareSpace will accept a link from which we are not aware of? 

It's situations link this that really showcase SquareSpaces limitations and frustrations. The more I use it, the more I see its shortcomings. I find it ridiculous that I'm "allowed 30 minutes of free video uploads" with a paid plan, but the videos can't be longer 1 minute each. This background video is just over 3min long @ 720p, nothing crazy. I should be able to use the 30 minutes in whatever denomination I see fit. That's my rant 🙂

2 hours ago, NikoNikoNiko said:

I find it ridiculous that I'm "allowed 30 minutes of free video uploads" with a paid plan, but the videos can't be longer 1 minute each.

The one minute limit only applies to background videos - the type used in page banners, without audio or playback controls. In user experience tests, people's attention wavered after less than 30 seconds so a minute is generally considered more than enough for background videos.

If you have longer videos, you can host them natively on Squarespace and display them in video blocks - with audio and playback controls (if required).

Did this help? Please give feedback by clicking an icon below  ⬇️

Edited by paul2009

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.