What is the url of the individual video uploaded in a page?

Go to solution Solved by paul2009,

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/24/2023 at 8:56 AM, Hellen said:

I clicked Video, and then Add Video.

https://www.hellencolman.com/no-injury

The video is scrolling down, right- this is exactly the problem I have, I cannot write a link to just the video.

You mean get video url, or make video clickable to custom url?

Email me if you have need any help (free, of course.). Answer within 24 hours. 
Or send to forum message

Contact Customer Care - Learn CSS - Buy me a coffee (thank you!)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Video url has been encoded in this way, there is no way to get video url

I Usually upload file (video, code, image, pdf...) use this way, then I can get its url

https://support.squarespace.com/hc/en-us/articles/205813928-Uploading-and-managing-files

Email me if you have need any help (free, of course.). Answer within 24 hours. 
Or send to forum message

Contact Customer Care - Learn CSS - Buy me a coffee (thank you!)

• Solution
On 1/10/2023 at 12:39 AM, Hellen said:

I have a [native Squarespace] video uploaded in a [video block]. How do I provide a link to video? (not to the page where the video lives, but to the specific video).

Squarespace do not provide a link to the original "injury.mp4" file on their video content distribution network [https://video.squarespace-cdn.com]. Instead they stream the video file using a Blob URL.

Alternative Option

If you are using Squarespace 7.1 and would like to provide users with a way of playing this video full screen, here is an alternative way of doing this. It doesn't provide them with a direct URL to the video file, but it will provide them with a link to a page showing a single video. 

First add a Video Page to the unlinked section of the Pages panel.

Next, add the video to the Video Page.

Video Pages are organised into two parts: the Video List Page and individual Video Detail Pages so when you click on an individual video, you should reach the Video Detail Page (VDP) showing a single video. When you are viewing this 'VDP', the URL will include "/v/". You can then share this URL with others. It is the closest you will get to a URL for the video and the benefit is that it will keep users on your site.

If you want a video file to be downloadable (not playable), you'll need to use the link editor to upload the file instead as Tuan suggested above, but this is subject to a file limit of 20MB.

Did this help? Please give feedback by clicking an icon below  ⬇️

Edited by paul2009

Me: I'm Paul, a SQSP user for >18 yrs & Circle Leader since 2017. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: Founder of SF.DIGITAL. We provide high quality original extensions to supercharge your Squarespace website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to my own SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is completely free. You can thank me by selecting a feedback emoji. Buying a coffee is generous but optional.

Would you like your customers to be able to mark their favourite products in your Squarespace store?

• 2 weeks later...
14 minutes ago, Hellen said:

I do not see the "Videos" option that the page you linked mentions.

Sadly, this means you are on Squarespace version 7.0. It doesn't have videos pages 🥲

Me: I'm Paul, a SQSP user for >18 yrs & Circle Leader since 2017. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: Founder of SF.DIGITAL. We provide high quality original extensions to supercharge your Squarespace website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to my own SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is completely free. You can thank me by selecting a feedback emoji. Buying a coffee is generous but optional.

Would you like your customers to be able to mark their favourite products in your Squarespace store?

Sadly... they expect me to REBUILD my website to get the 7.1 upgrade??? From scratch? There is no way to move all pages, galleries, etc? 

I think I am done with square space. 7.0 is super rigid and the upgrade to a more flexible one is not available to ones that have been paying for years?

SS should do a little better than this. 

• 3 months later...
5 hours ago, yshahi said:

Is there a way to find out the direct path of a video file uploaded in media library

No. As explained above, a Squarespace do not make a video URL available. Instead they stream the video file using a Blob URL that is only valid for the user's session.

Did this help? Please give feedback by clicking an icon below  ⬇️

• 8 months later...
On 2/19/2023 at 3:17 PM, Hellen said:

7.0 is super rigid and the upgrade to a more flexible one is not available to ones that have been paying for years?

SS should do a little better than this.

It took a long time but there is now an update path for some v7.0 sites using particular templates.

Find my contributions useful? Please like, upvote, mark my answer as the best ( solution ), and see my profile. Thanks for your support! I am a Squarespace ( and other technological things ) consultant open for new projects.

• 3 months later...
Posted (edited)
On 1/24/2023 at 8:56 AM, Hellen said:

I clicked Video, and then Add Video.

https://www.hellencolman.com/no-injury

The video is scrolling down, right- this is exactly the problem I have, I cannot write a link to just the video.

@Hellen

May I chime in here, videos uploaded to Video blocks, Section background and Asset library are played as HLS stream, the real path of the video is .m3u8, thus leads to the blob: video src you found when inspecting the video blocks

Each video uploaded to Squarespace has their unique path, which can be used to play if you append the file name /playlist.m3u8, but the problem is you can not give this to someone and let them play on the browser, because most of browsers do not support playing streaming file out of the box. 

You can either open these type of stream using application like VLC media player, or use a web player that support it, for example: https://livepush.io/hls-player/index.html

I used your video stream URL https://video.squarespace-cdn.com/content/v1/5e5bf795d379cf1bffc9756c/492aebc7-8f61-4541-9cca-7a549d9067ca/playlist.m3u8 and making an embed player like so: https://player.livepush.io/emvn0w7EZVmTZ

How did I get your video URL?

It is shown directly in the video blocks, just right click on the video and click Inspect, the data-poster attribute will contains the thumbnail URL, for example:

https://video.squarespace-cdn.com/content/v1/5e5bf795d379cf1bffc9756c/492aebc7-8f61-4541-9cca-7a549d9067ca/thumbnail

now you got the video thumbnail URL, let's replace the thumbnail with playlist.m3u8 and you got the streaming URL!

image.thumb.png.bed65a4d76afabc16ebbd1edfedf1c09.png

I did enlist the above as Method 3 in my post How to upload and get video links on Squarespace, and will make a detail post about the method soon

It worth noting that Squarespace is not a video hosting provider, so you should not use the links above to your main video source, at it is stated in the documentation page https://support.squarespace.com/hc/en-us/articles/206544187-Video-blocks

• If your uploaded video receives an extremely large number of views over a short time, we may not continue to support it. In such cases, we'll contact you directly to discuss the best hosting options for you.

Edited by Beyondspace

BeyondSpace - Squarespace Website Developer

🖼️ Lightbox Studio (Enable Pinch/Zoom on lightbox, video lightbox and much more)
🗓️ Delivery Date Picker (Squarespace Date picker form field)
💫 Gallery block 7.1 workaround
🥳 No-code customisations for Squarespace (+100 Spark plugin customisations)
🚀 Learn how to rank new pages on Google in 48 hours!

If you find my answer useful, let's leave a like or upvote so others with the same issue can find their solution. Thank you!

Posted (edited)

I made a detail post on this matter on How to Find the Direct URL of Squarespace hosted videos

Also Copy URLs for quickly grabbing video links is made possible

SCR-20240613-cg6.png

Edited by Beyondspace

🖼️ Lightbox Studio (Enable Pinch/Zoom on lightbox, video lightbox and much more)

If you find my answer useful, let's leave a like or upvote so others with the same issue can find their solution. Thank you!

• 3 months later...
On 6/8/2024 at 3:36 AM, Beyondspace said:

Also Copy URLs for quickly grabbing video links is made possible

Hi @Beyondspace where do you see the COPY VIDEO URL?

I only see this:CleanShot2024-09-16at17.04@2x.jpg.fe88d255ef67f386972a948aba5e97bc.jpg

I run FuseHub Creative Group, a syndicate of creatives from all over the world with one common goal - to develop creative and strategic solutions for ambitious organizations, and develop cool plugins which you can find on the SQS Mods platform - Circle Members always get a 10% discount with this code: SQSMOD10.

14 minutes ago, RolandFuseHub said:

Hi @Beyondspace where do you see the COPY VIDEO URL?

I only see this:CleanShot2024-09-16at17.04@2x.jpg.fe88d255ef67f386972a948aba5e97bc.jpg

It is feature made possible with the plugin, have you install it and still not see the buttons?

3 minutes ago, Beyondspace said:

It is feature made possible with the plugin, have you install it and still not see the buttons?

I see the buttons after installing the code in the footer, but nothing is being copied if I click the options.

I run FuseHub Creative Group, a syndicate of creatives from all over the world with one common goal - to develop creative and strategic solutions for ambitious organizations, and develop cool plugins which you can find on the SQS Mods platform - Circle Members always get a 10% discount with this code: SQSMOD10.

17 minutes ago, RolandFuseHub said:

I see the buttons after installing the code in the footer, but nothing is being copied if I click the options.

I see, will check it out

1 hour ago, Noha said:

Right-click the video to copy its URL, or inspect the page source to find the video file link (e.g., ending in .mp4).

There is no mp4 link when right click, videos on sqs is uploaded as hls format

2 hours ago, Beyondspace said:

I see, will check it out

Thanks!!! Looking forward to a fix.

12 hours ago, RolandFuseHub said:

Thanks!!! Looking forward to a fix.

It is fixed, kindly refresh the Asset Library screen and let me know if you use the buttons now

Thanks for the bug report though

Working on Chrome.. Safari doesn't seem to copy the URL.

Even though you can copy and paste the https://video.squarespace-cdn.com/content/v1/66e76... /playlist.m3u8 URL, you can't use this in a video player, correct? 

On 9/17/2024 at 11:24 PM, RolandFuseHub said:

Working on Chrome.. Safari doesn't seem to copy the URL.

Even though you can copy and paste the https://video.squarespace-cdn.com/content/v1/66e76... /playlist.m3u8 URL, you can't use this in a video player, correct? 

It needs a js player with hls support, does not work with regular HTML5 video element out of the box

Edited by Beyondspace

2 hours ago, Beyondspace said:

Yes it needs a js player with hls support

Upload videos in custom files or link manager if you need the origin videos files (mp4...)