What is the url of the individual video uploaded in a page?

Go to solution Solved by paul2009,

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/24/2023 at 8:56 AM, Hellen said:

I clicked Video, and then Add Video.

https://www.hellencolman.com/no-injury

The video is scrolling down, right- this is exactly the problem I have, I cannot write a link to just the video.

You mean get video url, or make video clickable to custom url?

Email me if you have need any help (free, of course.). Answer within 24 hours. 
Or send to forum message

Contact Customer Care - Learn CSS - Buy me a coffee (thank you!)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Video url has been encoded in this way, there is no way to get video url

I Usually upload file (video, code, image, pdf...) use this way, then I can get its url

https://support.squarespace.com/hc/en-us/articles/205813928-Uploading-and-managing-files

Email me if you have need any help (free, of course.). Answer within 24 hours. 
Or send to forum message

Contact Customer Care - Learn CSS - Buy me a coffee (thank you!)

• Solution
On 1/10/2023 at 12:39 AM, Hellen said:

I have a [native Squarespace] video uploaded in a [video block]. How do I provide a link to video? (not to the page where the video lives, but to the specific video).

Squarespace do not provide a link to the original "injury.mp4" file on their video content distribution network [https://video.squarespace-cdn.com]. Instead they stream the video file using a Blob URL that is only valid for the user's session, which is why you cannot find a URL that you can share.

If you are using Squarespace 7.1 and would like to provide users with a way of playing this video full screen, here is an alternative way of doing this. It doesn't provide them with a direct URL to the video file, but it will provide them with a link to a page showing a single video. 

First add a Video Page to the unlinked section of the Pages panel.

Next, add the video to the Video Page.

Video Pages are organised into two parts: the Video List Page and individual Video Detail Pages so when you click on an individual video, you should reach the Video Detail Page (VDP) showing a single video. When you are viewing this 'VDP', the URL will include "/v/". You can then share this URL with others. It is the closest you will get to a URL for the video and the benefit is that it will keep users on your site.

If you want a video file to be downloadable (not playable), you'll need to use the link editor to upload the file instead as Tuan suggested above, but this is subject to a file limit of 20MB.

Did this help? Please give feedback by clicking an icon below  ⬇️

Edited by paul2009

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

• 2 weeks later...
14 minutes ago, Hellen said:

I do not see the "Videos" option that the page you linked mentions.

Sadly, this means you are on Squarespace version 7.0. It doesn't have videos pages 🥲

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

Sadly... they expect me to REBUILD my website to get the 7.1 upgrade??? From scratch? There is no way to move all pages, galleries, etc? 

I think I am done with square space. 7.0 is super rigid and the upgrade to a more flexible one is not available to ones that have been paying for years?

SS should do a little better than this. 

• 3 months later...
5 hours ago, yshahi said:

Is there a way to find out the direct path of a video file uploaded in media library

No. As explained above, a Squarespace do not make a video URL available. Instead they stream the video file using a Blob URL that is only valid for the user's session.

Did this help? Please give feedback by clicking an icon below  ⬇️

• 8 months later...
On 2/19/2023 at 3:17 PM, Hellen said:

7.0 is super rigid and the upgrade to a more flexible one is not available to ones that have been paying for years?

SS should do a little better than this.

It took a long time but there is now an update path for some v7.0 sites using particular templates.

Find my contributions useful? Please like, upvote, mark my answer as the best ( solution ), and see my profile. Thanks for your support! I am a Squarespace ( and other technological things ) consultant open for new projects.