Help! Blog category URL not working

Go to solution Solved by paul2009,

Site URL: https://www.warm-me-up.com/blog/category/Revitalising+your+repertoire

Hi there, we had a user reach out to us who noticed that the Blog category URL they had was broken.

https://www.warm-me-up.com/blog/category/Revitalising+your+repertoire

I noticed the only difference between theirs and the one I can see if I navigate to the page is they have no capital 'R' for 'Revitalising' and mine does. If I replace the 'R' to a 'r', I also get an error message. My understanding is a URL shouldn't be affected by capitalisation? Does Squarespace do an exact match of text when it filters the categories? Is there an easy way to avoid this being a problem? Many thanks in advance for any tips/info/advice!

• 1 month later...

Did you find an answer to this? I have the same issue - Blog Category links are not working, they actually return the user to the main blog page without filtering to a category. Categories and their links are case sensitive with Squarespace and I have checked these and they are written the same. Be great if you could share an answer if you found one. 

Frances O’Reilly  www.theutility.studio  zLfPa_3bXrJVjjG2D9NJjWsyDYITGq-AQ4pLSfcsuwHgc1FJgbmT8EuoAx53oIpicbIZXX92DLMzsg5XW4UJHqR2UdKAM49cEvG5eVqoIit3qvfqN_3WWP1ZPkDVrntsjb6zpg4a5PtGb4Av0g  PVvO1XXM2rZxDMx8nqZFfuT0Y6ZBDtbItk8lPnd_clxdRf0-60lB9djfLd-ptwxxqfen9le_mOh52G4e1geR627H46GZNLbYTcK-J8PGtgHf4JTBqXrismbjFWHM6NG0x6oPYa8waUOsKztkVg  higZyEQ7dWl3HT3k5f7QZyAq1OkO6Aoo5tYGkIw8x7LFUwjovTNvWOrRkDZ5scTDRP1tzvvQiAqDi1wiNvtwbH4nn8UZ5X6T7dBszJGVFch2mFHgX_9BsFvBrFozZcGcFb3GKpOJlijApl9uvQ

• Solution
10 minutes ago, fhoreilly said:

Blog Category links are not working, they actually return the user to the main blog page without filtering to a category.

Have you tried using /blog?category=mycategory where "blog" is the url of the blog page and "mycategory" is the category name?

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
On 5/10/2022 at 9:18 AM, paul2009 said:

Have you tried using /blog?category=mycategory where "blog" is the url of the blog page and "mycategory" is the category name?

@paul2009 hi! Can you help me troubleshoot a clients site, it's on 7.0 sqsp. Your URL correction works for them, however, I can't find how to adjust the URL. 

This is the link to their blog and you'll see it does not work when you click the sidebar categories. But when I replace the URL in my browser like you said to do, it works. But how can I edit the actual links within the site so that when you click the link in the sidebar? I've tried going into the settings of the blogs themselves, the settings of the entire site, then blogging and the post url format - but it only covers the blog link, not category links. I've gotten so used to 7.1 already that I'm forgetting how to navigate 7.0! 

I appreciate your help!

First off, check  your blog post settings, and make sure the category is displayed  at the bottom of edit post. You only need to check one post for each category. If it is you may need to reinstall the side bar archive block. You do have one category that works now, Feeding Relationships. Looking at that post should give you a clue as to why the others don't work. It is possible that if you changed posts urls after creating the dropdown that it did not update and can't find the pages. Reinstalling will correct that. 

Edited by derricksrandomviews
13 hours ago, anortherndesign said:

You'll see it does not work when you click the sidebar categories. But when I replace the URL in my browser like you said to do, it works. But how can I edit the actual links within the site so that when you click the link in the sidebar?

The links in the sidebar were created automatically in the Archive Block and should work. 

It looks like a technical fault but I wasn't able to reproduce it on another site so, as a first step, I recommend that you delete the Archive Block and add a new one using the same settings. It may be wise to note the block's Design settings before deleting the block.

When you've replaced the block and saved the changes to the page, check if the links work correctly. If they don't then I recommend getting in touch with Squarespace Customer Care directly.

Let us know how you get on.

Edited by paul2009

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

• 1 year later...

has anyone figured this out my blog categories are doing the same and i cant get a functioning link it always goes back to the homepage and my initial URL of the link is what the solution proposes im not sure what is wrong. help!

3 hours ago, Lydiarachel said:

has anyone figured this out my blog categories are doing the same and i cant get a functioning link it always goes back to the homepage and my initial URL of the link is what the solution proposes im not sure what is wrong. help!

Hi Lydia! I believe I solved this a little over a year ago and I should have updated here. I found my loom video walking my client through what the issue was and how to solve it. I'm not sure if you are also dealing with the same thing I was. this website that you will see in the loom video is in 7.0 I believe but perhaps this hack will also work for 7.1.

I will write out what to do and post it here as I don't necessarily want my video to be up for all to see forever, haha!

https://www.loom.com/share/717bf27f99db4f1a90aece4161f8787a

@paul2009 FYI I forgot to update and respond to your thread but this is what I ended up doing and it seems to have worked!

Thankyou Alicia but it's still not working maybe this  a 7.0 hack, or it might be different as i linked my categories to my navigation bar it's not the url its the page it just goes onto my home (where my blog posts are) if you have any other suggestions that would be great!:)

Edited by Lydiarachel
18 minutes ago, Lydiarachel said:

it's still not working

Please share a link to one of your posts.

3 minutes ago, Lydiarachel said:

it not a published blog yet

The site is currently private. Please see How to Post a Forum Question for guidance on how to share a password-protected link.

As an example, you should be able to view the posts categorised travel using the URL slug /bloomwithfloreoblog/category/travel

You should be able to view the posts categorised as Health & Wellness posts using /bloomwithfloreoblog/category/health+%26+wellness

thankyou, I've tried both and none seem to be working, and then it displays a url error page, i'll keep looking.  its strange as when i first made the blog it worked for around  10 mins 

Edited by Lydiarachel

I'm not seeing any issues. If you haven't already done so, I recommend that you contact Squarespace Customer Support.