Membership Access After a Customer Cancels

It is great that we can now add an additional fee option for the subscriptions, the only issue is that if for instance I add a 6 month option, and the member cancels, they lose access to the remainder of their membership?

Also, it would be nice if members could upgrade their memberships, from say a 1 month to a 6 month, without having to cancel first. 

• 4 months later...
  • Replies 6
  • Views 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I second this motion -
This has been a big problem for us. If someone pays for a subscription...and wants to cancel ...the default should be to end the subscription at the next billing period. If I paid for something for a month and canceled 1 week in - I shouldn't lose what I paid for. This puts the burden on us to figure what a pro rate should be for the time they paid vs the time they used.
Dealing with unhappy people who immediately lost their account is a real problem for us. I hope they fix this ASAP. A toggle in the UI to allow the account to be terminated immediately or at next billing period...seems that might be a good fit and not terribly difficult to implement.  

• 2 months later...

Site URL: https://www.sprucegoose.gg/

Hello, I hope I am simply missing something, but I had a customer sign up for a monthly membership and then after a week decided they wanted to cancel their membership. Once they cancelled their membership, they immediately lost access to the members area. I'd like to set it up so that cancelling their membership simply turned off the auto-renew payments, but they would keep access to the site for the full month that they paid for. Is there any functionality in SquareSpace to do this? 

On 2/20/2022 at 4:10 PM, SpruceGooseTV said:

Once they cancelled their membership, they immediately lost access to the members area. I'd like to set it up so that...they would keep access to the site for the full month that they paid for. Is there any functionality in SquareSpace to do this? 

That's the way Member Areas has been designed. If the customer cancels their membership, they lose access immediately. If you want them to keep access to the gated content until the end of their billing cycle, help them cancel their own membership instead.

Did this help? Please give feedback by clicking an icon below  ⬇️

Edited by paul2009
edited for clarity

Me: I'm Paul, a SQSP user for >18 yrs & Circle Leader since 2017. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: Founder of SF.DIGITAL. We provide high quality original extensions to supercharge your Squarespace website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to my own SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is completely free. You can thank me by selecting a feedback emoji. Buying a coffee is generous but optional.

7 minutes ago, paul2009 said:

That's the way Member Areas has been designed. The customer can retain their access by not cancelling until just before their next payment is due. It isn't possible to change this functionality.

To raise a feature request contact Squarespace Customer Care.

Hi Paul, I appreciate the response. I have submitted a request with Customer Care. What's the realistic likelihood of this feature being added? I honestly am shocked it was designed that way, I'm not aware of any reputable site that functions like that...

• 1 year later...

@SpruceGooseTV Squarespace made an update to this!

• If they cancel, they keep access for the remainder of their billing cycle.
  • If you cancel someone's membership, they lose access immediately.

https://support.squarespace.com/hc/en-us/articles/360050832691-Managing-individual-members#toc-cancel-a-membership

Did I help? Click 👍 or mark it as the solution! This helps others find the answers they need. 

Meghan | Westerly Creative Studio

🍪  Still need your website policies?
Termageddon makes it easy.  
Get 10% off your first year! (< affiliate link)