Reduce height of code block

Go to solution Solved by paul2009,

Hi Claire

Is it the height of the image that you want to change?

The dimensions are being set by the SVG file and because images will appear at 100% width on the Squarespace page, the SVG will retain the aspect ratio making the height around 210px. 

You can make this appear less by placing the SVG higher up the page by adding some negative margin in Custom CSS:

#block-yui_3_17_2_1_1627505219076_5381 .sqs-block-code img {
  margin-top: -100px;
}

866639557_Screenshot2021-07-28at22_31_09.thumb.png.c2f3c61daa0d170d45701a144bc59344.png

If you want to reduce both height and width, you can add a Spacer Block beside the Code Block instead of using CSS.

Paul

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

Hi Paul, so nice to hear from you and thanks for answering my question.

The width/height of the svg image is good. It's the gap between the last line of yellow text and the animation that's the issue. It seems to add a large container which I think it normal for SS?  Or could the svg be saved in a different way? 

It sounds like your code solutions will work well. Just a dumb question here, do i need to update the 'img' with the svg file name or is the #block id enough? I tried the code as it is but it doesn't change anything but It looks like you've managed it in your screenshot.

Cheers
Claire

Screen Shot 2021-07-29 at 9.56.13 AM.png

• Solution

Sorry Claire. I added a space between the block ID and the rest. It shouldn't be there. That's the problem with posting at 11pm at night. It should have been:

#block-yui_3_17_2_1_1627505219076_5381.sqs-block-code img {
}

In answer to your questions, I used the Block ID of your Code Block on the specific page. If someone wants to use this solution, they'll need to use the ID that refers to their Code Block, as each one is unique.

If you were embedded the SVG code in the code block, you'd use the reference 'svg', but as you've uploaded your SVG as a .svg file, it's correct to use the 'img' reference.

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

On 7/29/2021 at 9:39 PM, paul2009 said:

Sorry Claire. I added a space between the block ID and the rest. It shouldn't be there. That's the problem with posting at 11pm at night. It should have been:

#block-yui_3_17_2_1_1627505219076_5381.sqs-block-code img {
}

In answer to your questions, I used the Block ID of your Code Block on the specific page. If someone wants to use this solution, they'll need to use the ID that refers to their Code Block, as each one is unique.

If you were embedded the SVG code in the code block, you'd use the reference 'svg', but as you've uploaded your SVG as a .svg file, it's correct to use the 'img' reference.

Sorry for the slow reply Paul, I'm just back onto this project now. 
This worked perfectly, thank you so much for you help as always!
Yes working after 11pm has it's disadvantages.

• 3 months later...
On 11/29/2021 at 1:20 PM, IwanJ said:

Hi @tuanphan, sure, thank you, https://deep-learning-cafe.squarespace.com/ if you look at the Trusted By Teams At section, I'd like to increase the padding a little bit between the title and the top of the section, but reduce the spacing between the logos and the title just a bit so that everything is evenly spaced...

The site is private. You should setup password & share url again/ We can check easier.

Email me if you have need any help (free, of course.). Answer within 24 hours. 
Or send to forum message

Contact Customer Care - Learn CSS - Buy me a coffee (thank you!)

1 minute ago, IwanJ said:

Hi @tuanphan, sure, thank you, https://deep-learning-cafe.squarespace.com/ if you look at the Trusted By Teams At section, I'd like to increase the padding a little bit between the title and the top of the section, but reduce the spacing between the logos and the title just a bit so that everything is evenly spaced...

Can you please help?

I have sent the password via direct message

Why you don't add Gallery Block to add logos. Then you can add Text Block above it, instead of using 2 Sections to add text/images

Add to Design > custom CSS

/* Trusted by Team */
[data-section-id="61a0791fdfd0aa6784b37b75"] .gallery-grid.gallery-grid--layout-grid {
    padding-top: 0px;
}
div#block-abbc045be3aca25ed45b {
    padding-top: 37px;
}

Or send to forum message

• 1 year later...
23 hours ago, KipB said:

I'm also wanting to reduce the size (height primarily) of the code block.  Here's a link to one of the pages I am working on. 

https://www.nashconsulting.com/workshops

If someone can help me with the code and if I can add it Custom CSS so it works throughout the site? (I was able to do that with the spacer block height, I think). 

Thanks for your help!

Try adding to Design > Custom CSS

div.code-block {
    padding: 0px !important;
    height: 1px !important;
}

Or send to forum message

• 1 month later...

Thank you @taunphan! Sorry it took me so long to get back into this and see your reply. The code you provided worked perfectly! Curious - could I change the height to 0px? Not that I really want to - but just wondered if that would be possible. 

On 2/24/2023 at 11:43 PM, KipB said:

Thank you @taunphan! Sorry it took me so long to get back into this and see your reply. The code you provided worked perfectly! Curious - could I change the height to 0px? Not that I really want to - but just wondered if that would be possible. 

Yes. Just change 1px to 0px

Or send to forum message

• 9 months later...
On 12/4/2023 at 10:52 AM, scs18 said:

Hi @tuanphan,

I have been having the same issue across our website and have tried adding the custom css with no luck. Wondering if there is another solution? Website is https://www.theselfcaresisterhood.com/ and I'm specifically trying to change the spacing in the footer underneath our newsletter subscribe form

Thank you!

Use this CSS code

You can use this CSS code to Website Tools (under Not Linked) > Custom CSS

/* Footer newsletter spacing */
.fe-641fc9caeeb8e8453ac7f320 {
    grid-template-rows: repeat(10,minmax(calc(~"var(--container-width) * var(--row-height-scaling-factor)"), auto)) !important;
}

image.thumb.png.61a2d8d640d7ac6eca03379d32035adb.png

Or send to forum message

On 12/5/2023 at 7:52 AM, tuanphan said:

You can use this CSS code to Website Tools (under Not Linked) > Custom CSS

/* Footer newsletter spacing */
.fe-641fc9caeeb8e8453ac7f320 {
    grid-template-rows: repeat(10,minmax(calc(~"var(--container-width) * var(--row-height-scaling-factor)"), auto)) !important;
}

Hi @tuanphan, this works! A question, do you know if it's possible to detect it programmatically and adjust the number? e.g. repeat(10,..) in the above example, I can see what what number would fit best, but if there a way of calculating which number would fit the content?

I have this issue on quite a few pages, trying to see if I manually do it in Custom CSS or if there is another way.

-------- > 👆 <---------- Please quote or @ me when replying, or I won't get a notification 

Melody | Squarespace Website Developer
e: melody@melodylee.tech

💻 Can't figure something out and want to learn? 💁‍♀️ 1-2-1 Squarespace session 
👩‍💻 Need some customisation for a design? 💁‍♀️ Custom Code help
 Did I help? 💁‍♀️ I like coffee

17 hours ago, melody495 said:

Hi @tuanphan, this works! A question, do you know if it's possible to detect it programmatically and adjust the number? e.g. repeat(10,..) in the above example, I can see what what number would fit best, but if there a way of calculating which number would fit the content?

I have this issue on quite a few pages, trying to see if I manually do it in Custom CSS or if there is another way.

I don't know how to calculate it automatically with the code, I have to manually try each number until I find the number that seems best.

Or send to forum message