What is a favicon and do I need one?

Favicons are a fun and unique way to maintain your branding consistent throughout the browsing experience. In essence, a favicon or a browser icon, is a small square image that displays next to a page's title in browser tabs and in other places across the web. Adding a custom favicon makes your site recognizable in a browser full of tabs or bookmarks. Sometimes the 16 X 16 pixels small icons can also display as the default image in search histories and search ads, and they can indirectly benefit SEO by increasing the usability of your site. Find out more about the history of the favicon.  

All Squarespace websites come with a default cube image as the favicon. Have you added your own favicon to your site? Do you have any recommendations for designing effective or innovative favicons? Share in the comments below!

I normally use the website/business logo as a favicon, if possible. Some are too detailed to use that small. Mine is a camera, which fits a photography site just fine. I think it adds a little something extra to a website tab. This site's logo make a nice looking favicon:

https://christinegregoryphotography.com/

Edited by derricksrandomviews
  • 2 weeks later...