Connecting two different domains with different landing

Go to solution Solved by DamianKevitt,

If you are asking about two Squarspace domains on the same account going to two different pages on the same Squarespace site, that cannot be done. One of the domains would have to be hosted by a third party. The other option is to have both domains hit the same landing page with two actions posted, each action goes to where it needs to go when clicked. This is the way many Squarespace bllingual sites are set up. Works quite well. 

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...
On 12/22/2020 at 10:02 AM, derricksrandomviews said:

If you are asking about two Squarspace domains on the same account going to two different pages on the same Squarespace site, that cannot be done. One of the domains would have to be hosted by a third party. The other option is to have both domains hit the same landing page with two actions posted, each action goes to where it needs to go when clicked. This is the way many Squarespace bllingual sites are set up. Works quite well. 

I had a similar question to this post - I have multiple domains which were hosted by a third party pointing to different pages on my SquareSpace site. I am now switching them to SquareSpace and just finding out that I can't point them to the different pages any more.

Are you able to direct me on how to have both domains hit the same landing page with two actions? I am new to Square Space and the only action I could find for a domain was setting it as the primary or not. Thank you very much!

On 6/1/2022 at 8:13 PM, DamianKevitt said:

Are you able to direct me on how to have both domains hit the same landing page with two actions?

Unfortunately SS is not setup to deal with domain forwarding.

Update. Apparently this is now available. See below.

This is a service that more established domain providers offer such as GoDaddy. SS's major target market probably has very little need for this kind of feature. You can ask SS to add but I wouldn't hold my breath.

You'll need to stick with one of the big player domain providers to have that feature.

Edited by creedon

Find my contributions useful? Please like, upvote, mark my answer as the best ( solution ), and see my profile. Thanks for your support! I am a Squarespace ( and other technological things ) consultant open for new projects.

Two domains will hit the same home page, that page would have two action buttons or links on it for the viewer to choose which page  to go to. There is no automatic action assigned to each domain. 7.0 has landing/cover pages you can choose from, 7.1 with a bit of code allows you to create a landing page by removing the header and footer and adding action buttons or links. I don't have two external domains but I do use a landing page for viewers to choose which index page to view. 

my random views

Edited by derricksrandomviews
  • Solution

Thank you @derricksrandomviews. Your site is great and that helped. 

I also reached out to customer support and they this is what they told me to do (which I did with my other domains and it did work out):

"I understand that you'd like for your domains to point to other pages within your Squarespace site. I'd be happy to assist.

"You can forward your domains to a specific page. You'll follow the same process as forwarding a domain to a non-Squarespace site but you'll need to enter the full page URL, including the specific page slug. 

"I'm linking the instructions and guides for this process:

Forward to a non-Squarespace site 

Forward to a specific page "

1. Open DNS settings for the domain you’d like to forward.

2. Delete the Squarespace defaults section. Your domain can’t forward to another site when these defaults are in place. 

3. From the ADD PRESET drop-down menu, select Forward domain.

4. In the pop-up message, enter the full URL of the specific page to forward to, and then click Add. This creates a Forward domain section with an A record and a CNAME.

5. Check your work by opening an incognito window 
  • 2 months later...

Hey I want to do something similar.  I'm sure the answer is already on the page but not sure I can find it.

I currently have www.a.com linked to mysquarespace page

I want to end up with:

www.b.com linked to mysquarespace page
www.a.com linked to mysquarespace/subpage page

I think I need to do two things but would love help to confirm this:

1, connect www.b.com to my account and switch this to my primary address.

2, disconnect www.a.com and then, via the hosting, do a redirect.

Will this work?

Thanks