Add Category to Breadcrumbs on Product Page

Go to solution Solved by kindandbrave,

3 hours ago, melamint said:

You can find an product in a subcategory here

The site is currently private. For us to view it, you'll need to set a public password in the visibility settings and share it with us. 

site-is-private-german.png.8d8c4ac296541a2315137b50cd75b3be.png

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

me distracted … here it is

s0lv!ngbrE@dcrumbs

I'm not sure why my website is so important, I see the same happening on @jdillagodzilla site for example.

edit: I also see the same thing happening on the websites of @kindandbrave. It was questioned, that there are prducts nested in categories. I see categories there … like “Fathers Day“ e.g.

Edited by melamint

Has anyone found a fix for this? I'm just finishing off my site and this is by far the most annoying thing about 7.1 - it would irritate me endlessly as a customer if I were browsing a site. I'd love to either 'fix' the category menu in place on all category pages/product pages or be able to include categories in the breadcrumb menu. A would-be customer isn't gonna want to go through shop -> all -> category they're interested in every time.. 😭

I got an answer from the support.

What feels like a bug for the most of us, is state of design by now, referring to this site:

https://support.squarespace.com/hc/en-us/articles/231746347-Styling-Store-Pages#toc-store-page

Edit: It's said, that it may be presented to the developers team. I'm unsure if this is a general text brick. Let's hope for the best!
And continue sending bug reports / feature requests!

Edited by melamint
17 hours ago, LunaPins said:

Has anyone found a fix for this? I'm just finishing off my site and this is by far the most annoying thing about 7.1 - it would irritate me endlessly as a customer if I were browsing a site. I'd love to either 'fix' the category menu in place on all category pages/product pages or be able to include categories in the breadcrumb menu. A would-be customer isn't gonna want to go through shop -> all -> category they're interested in every time.. 😭

Can you share link to category pages?

Email me if you have need any help (free, of course.). Answer within 24 hours. 
Or send to forum message

Contact Customer Care - Learn CSS - Buy me a coffee (thank you!)

• 2 weeks later...

So I decided to just add handmade breadcrumbs for the categories as first line in my additional informations – I have to add specified text in every product anyway. It's an easy peasy workaround for now.

And later on maybe I'll add a tag cloud somewhere.

Edited by melamint
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Solution

Y'all! @paul2009has SOLVED this issue. Honestly I'm not sure how he did it, because I've spoken to other SS experts on the matter and they had no idea/told me it wasn't possible to get breadcrumbs.

BUT he did it! He created a plugin that's super affordable here: https://sf.digital/breadcrumbs-extension

It's so so so worth it! The instructions they provide after purchase are easy to follow and the breadcrumbs work perfectly on desktop. For now they are hidden on mobile, because of the size of the screen—but honestly desktop is where it was necessary.

Thank you thank you thank you, Paul!

Screen Shot 2021-06-17 at 9.42.03 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-06-17 at 9.42.22 AM.png

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 6/17/2021 at 3:42 PM, kindandbrave said:

He created a plugin that's super affordable here: https://sf.digital/breadcrumbs-extension

It's so so so worth it! For now they are hidden on mobile, because of the size of the screen—but honestly desktop is where it was necessary.

They are available on mobile now too @kindandbrave. The installation guide has been updated 😃.

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

• 1 year later...
On 4/1/2021 at 11:14 AM, kindandbrave said:

There's still no solve for this. I can't believe Squarespace hasn't fixed it. I've requested it. The more people who ask for it, the more likely they'll be to create it! Request it here.

Squarespace has quickly become THE WORST online platform to build a website. I've tried to steer many people towards Wix which allows unfiltered customization without code. It's completely ridiculous to expect paying customers to know code if they want to customize their site on a site building platform.

Want to change something on mobile but not desktop? Use Wix. Want to change a single font that is not part of your theme? Use Wix. Want to have a hover function on a sub nav? Use Wix. Want to do literally anything outside the realm of a strict template? USE WIX.

Every single one of these issues is a single click away on Wix. On Squarespace it is a matter of Googling your problem (not to mention you have to have know the specific terminology for your problem), find your code that is specific to someone else's site, download an extension to find out a block-id number, enter in custom code, see that the custom code fails, repeat steps until you find code that works. All for the simple fix of what — changing a font size? Making a gallery show three images instead of two on mobile? If these changes aren't a single click away then what is the point of offering a web building platform?

And no, Squarespace does not help at all with these problems, you rely on a completely user based forum for the entirety of your website to function. What a joke. I will steer every client to Wix.